“No taste”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I had dinner here my last night on Kauai. I had 3 ground beef tacos and some beans. The tacos did not have any seasoning in the beef, and were super dry. There was little cheese and no hot sauce at the table. This was the worst Mexican food I have ever had. Taco Bell is 10 times better and a lot less expensive. Go across the street to Kalapaki Beach Hut and get a good burger!

1  Thank croods
There are newer reviews for Mariachi's Authentic Mexican Restaurant

Reviewed February 24, 2013

not good food, the worst taco salad I have ever had! it was so bland. we were sorry we went here, save yourself from bad mexican food...go next door to kalapaki joes & get the best fish tacos ever!

1  Thank awalls2013
Reviewed February 22, 2013

A little pricey but the service is great as is the food. The servings are huge. Very clean place and outside seating

Reviewed February 18, 2013

This restaurant is located in the Harbor Mall near where the cruise ships dock. The first thing is the parking - gated, but validated - so once you enter you are sort of committed to eating or buying something there. To be fair, we went on the Sunday evening of the Super Bowl. The sign on the "Mall" says "Restaurant Row" so we figured there must be several to choose from, surely we could find something suitable. All the shops were closed. It was hard to tell if they were closed because of the hour (they roll up the sidewalks there at 6pm) or if they were out of business. Anyway, there were four restaurants. One was a pub that seemed small, and dark and didn't have anything on the menu that sounded good to us, so we moved on. The next place was Thai. Nothing on their menu was "familiar". Next came an expensive burger place. We didn't really feel like getting a $13 burger. Our last option was Mariachi's. The menu was full of familiar items, and we like Mexican so we went in. They have indoor and outdoor seating. They walked us through the empty indoor area and seated us on the balcony overlooking Rice Street. It was about 7 pm, so the sun was down and there was a breeze. I was cold there, but inside seating didn't seem to be an option. The complimentary chips and salsa were quite good, so we were really surprised when the entrees arrived. I ordered the combo plate with a ground beef taco, rice and refried beans for $11.50. The "taco" was really a "mini-taco". It was about 3 1/2" across the bottom, had almost no lettuce or cheese inside and was fried shut - hard and very crisp. The rice was a large scoop and was overcooked and tasteless. I ate 2 bites and couldn't stand to eat any more. The refried beans were right out of the can with a little cheese melted on top - they were the best part of the meal. My husband ordered the combo plate with a shredded beef taco, and enchilada with rice and beans. If you wanted anything other than a cheese enchilada you had to pay $1.50 extra, so since he wanted shredded beef it cost $13.50. The service was sketchy. Nobody was around most of the time, but our food was brought by a different server that the one that took our order, and a third person came to clear. The guide book said the food here was above average - I don't know where the author could have eaten that was any worse. If you're in Kauai and want "Mexican" you'd be better off at Taco Bell up the road a few miles. My husband and I both had upset stomaches after our meal. Choose someplace else.

1  Thank Saxeygirl
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Chips and Salsa - awesome. I had a chicken tostada. It was delicious. Lots of ver attentive, friendly wait staff. The owner offered us coupons for a future visit, and inquired about our meal. Nice place for lunch or a quick dinner.