“3strikes, you're OUT!!!”

Lancaster, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“3strikes, you're OUT!!!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We were in this particular store last September and had an "opportunity" to talk with the manager (?) about a question we had (I don't recall now, it's been 12 months--but it was definitely something innocuous), but what I DO recall is her attitude and they way she talked to me--and who she was/what she looked like. She wears no name tag. Fast forward 11 months + 1 week. My husband and I are there again on vacation, and want to buy the same thing we had gotten last year, but couldn't find it on the shelf among the rest of the display. We were referred to the same woman we had a misfortune of speaking to last year. (I inwardly groaned when we had to talk to *her*). She began to explain how the item was packaged and that they were out of stock. We had a question about whether the "pack of 4" was "four of the same item or a variety pack"--but we never got to ask. This woman has a VERY short fuse. She is quick to *SHUT* *YOU* *DOWN* ! ! ! Her tactic is to bully and intimidate you into *not talking.* She is either burned out on tourists or hates her job. Either way, she does NOT belong in ANY store where customer service is involved. She is the eldest woman salesperson on the floor, with short salt & pepper hair. STAY AWAY FROM HILO HATTIE in Lihue! ! ! ! !

Go to Walmart first for trinkets and chocolate. They have an excellent selection of postcards, music, and various souvenir items for a v good price. Second choice is the ABC store in Kapaa. For matching outfits or really nice Hawaiian fabric clothes, go to "By The Sea" in the Coconut Market Place 4-484, Kuhio Hwy in Kapaa, Kauai, Hawaii 96746 At the entrance of Kapaa Town on Kuhio Highway (State Hwy 56), 6 miles north of the airport, right/beach side. (808) 821.1979 The lady/owner of this shop LOVES visitors and is very very nice. She has *beautiful* men's and women's shirts and family sets. She doesn't like cheap apparel that falls apart or is made of low quality fabric. She has no website and I couldn't find her in the yellow pages, other than the listing of Coconut Market.

Visited September 2013
3 Thank Linnie-Bird

Adelaide, Australia
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Better places to buy souvenirs”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I can only echo what other people are saying, you get the necklace as you walk in and there are free cold drinks and coffee which I thought was quite good, and yes the pearl saleslady, ended up costing us $6 for the pearls, but my daughter got a kick out of it ( opening the oyster and finding 2 pearls). Most things you could get cheaper elsewhere but it is a bit of a one stop shop and it is a little cheaper than the airport, so maybe go there at the end of your trip for any souvenirs you have not already bought elsewhere.

Visited July 2013
Navarre, Florida
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“Typical Tourist Shopping”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a well-stocked tourist shop. They have all the typical tourist wants--Hawaiian clothes, beads, coconuts, t-shirts, jewelry, etc. Read the labels and buy stuff that was actually made in Hawaii. Some items are well-priced, others are overpriced. Be a savvy shopper. Beware of the pushy pearl salesladies. All of the oysters have pearls, duh. But the settings are expensive.

Visited June 2013
Tulsa, Oklahoma
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Beware Of The Pearl People”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We visited Hilo Hatties in April and my wife was quickly approached by a Pearl Saleslady who had her pick out an oyster. Wouldn't you know it! She hit the Jackpot! Two pearls in one little ole oyster. What luck! Well, she got to keep the Pearls, but the Pearl Lady showed her all these wonderful settings that would look great as a ring or since she had twin pearls............earrings! Well my wife ended up buying the overpriced settings for those valuable pearls she got for free. Luck must have been with the customers during the 15 minutes I was there because three other lucky women picked out twin pearls as well. Obviously, this was a ploy to get women to buy the settings that very likely have a 200 percent markup. The Pearl Ladys are very good at what they do and most of the female customers will leave there with those cheap pearls mounted on overpriced earring or ring settings. As for the rest of the store, most everything is made overseas, particularly in the clothing Dept. I will say the merchandise selection is among the best for tourist stuff but the prices aren't all that great. There are several ABC Stores in the area and they have better prices.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Stemar78
Flagstaff, Arizona
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Normal Tourist Trap”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I have been to several Hilo Hattie's. this one is no different. You get the beads, drink, and a walk through a large selection of Hawaiian goods. Most are not from Hawaii. Make sure to read your labels. Having visited several other places, HH is not the cheapest. While this is a good place to visit for some "look what grandpa got me from Hawaii" there are better choices. If stuck for time go there if not enjoy the island and find some other great buys.

Visited July 2013