“Relaxing train ride.”

Kauai Plantation Railway
Ranked #5 of 56 things to do in Lihue
Reviewed June 25, 2012

This was a relaxing and informative train ride around the Kilohana Plantation. Feeding the pigs and goats was the best part.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

40 minutes total including a 10 minutes stop to feed the pigs. Interesting narration on the crops and animals and history. A little pricey but I am glad I did it.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

We bought tickets to see the grounds before the luau, we had plenty of time to take the train and have dinner. We took our mai tias with us on the train. The young man giving the commentary was informative and funny, it was interesting seeing the fruit trees and the animals. We were curious to see how papayas are grown. Feeding the wild pigs before the luau made me think twice about eating the Kalua pork, but it didn't stop me, it's so good!

Reviewed May 5, 2012

Railway tour was fun, relaxing, informative. Very nice and worth the day at that plantation.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

We decided to take the 4 hour tour of train and walking. It turned out to be a great choice. After a short train ride and some time to stop and feed the wild pigs, goats, and sheep, 6 of us stayed behind for the lengthy tour and the rest road on to finish out the train ride. We had a small group of 7 (our family of 5, another couple, and Jordan our guide). We spent a few minutes getting to know one another, picked up our walking sticks, and headed into the jungle type foliage. I recommend wearing sneakers although this is never mentioned upon making reservations or in the brochure. We started our decent on a narrow trail with some of the most beautiful lush vegetation I've seen. Our guide told us about the plants and trees including having us try a small purple flower that was edible. My 6 year old kept finding more and eating as we walked. He also showed the kids a plant that folds itself up to look dead if touched. My kids continued to annoy these poor plants. At some point my kids climbed on a vine they found and Jordan asked me if I wanted him to show them the swinging rope over the water chute. being a liberal mother I allowed it and Jordan swung first to the other side and assist each of my children as they then attempted the same thing. I recommend that you ask your guide to let you do it because it was a blast. After the walk we headed back up to the picnic area to have our turkey wrap or salad, chips, and drink. Jordan then cut up a fresh pineapple for us which we all devoured. The chickens shared our chips as we tossed them some and Jordan showed us one who jumps up for his food. Afterwards we walked through the groves and picked lychees, avocados, and something called cantels. After we each gave him a penny he put them on the tracks and when the train came to pick us up, it ran over the pennies flattening them and my kids were thrilled with the cheapest souvenir they received on our trip. After requesting another drink from Jordan, we boarded the train to return to where we began. During the entire train ride another guide directed us to plants and trees and the history of the plantation. It was a great time although I do not recommend it for anyone who has trouble walking or with balance since the trail is narrow, can be slippery, and at an incline as well as there is much walking and standing over a 3 hour period. While my 80+ year old parents navigated it well enough, they did complain about their legs and feet hurting. I recommend carrying some money to leave your guide a nice tip, make reservations, and wear sneakers.

2  Thank dblivy