“Enjoyable Way to Spend a day”

Kauai Plantation Railway
Ranked #5 of 55 things to do in Lihue
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We decided to take the 4 hour tour of train and walking. It turned out to be a great choice. After a short train ride and some time to stop and feed the wild pigs, goats, and sheep, 6 of us stayed behind for the lengthy tour and the rest road on to finish out the train ride. We had a small group of 7 (our family of 5, another couple, and Jordan our guide). We spent a few minutes getting to know one another, picked up our walking sticks, and headed into the jungle type foliage. I recommend wearing sneakers although this is never mentioned upon making reservations or in the brochure. We started our decent on a narrow trail with some of the most beautiful lush vegetation I've seen. Our guide told us about the plants and trees including having us try a small purple flower that was edible. My 6 year old kept finding more and eating as we walked. He also showed the kids a plant that folds itself up to look dead if touched. My kids continued to annoy these poor plants. At some point my kids climbed on a vine they found and Jordan asked me if I wanted him to show them the swinging rope over the water chute. being a liberal mother I allowed it and Jordan swung first to the other side and assist each of my children as they then attempted the same thing. I recommend that you ask your guide to let you do it because it was a blast. After the walk we headed back up to the picnic area to have our turkey wrap or salad, chips, and drink. Jordan then cut up a fresh pineapple for us which we all devoured. The chickens shared our chips as we tossed them some and Jordan showed us one who jumps up for his food. Afterwards we walked through the groves and picked lychees, avocados, and something called cantels. After we each gave him a penny he put them on the tracks and when the train came to pick us up, it ran over the pennies flattening them and my kids were thrilled with the cheapest souvenir they received on our trip. After requesting another drink from Jordan, we boarded the train to return to where we began. During the entire train ride another guide directed us to plants and trees and the history of the plantation. It was a great time although I do not recommend it for anyone who has trouble walking or with balance since the trail is narrow, can be slippery, and at an incline as well as there is much walking and standing over a 3 hour period. While my 80+ year old parents navigated it well enough, they did complain about their legs and feet hurting. I recommend carrying some money to leave your guide a nice tip, make reservations, and wear sneakers.

2  Thank dblivy
There are newer reviews for Kauai Plantation Railway

Reviewed April 11, 2012

We went on a cloudy day with a 4 year old into trains so it had to be fun anyway. The ride was about 45 minutes and there was some interesting facts along the way about the history of the area as well as facts about the vegetation and animals on the island (who new that 95% of the vegetation is non native?). Kids will have fun feeding the goats and pigs and the ride for them is pretty fun. Staff was quite knowledgeable and mad the trip fun. As an adult not really into trains, I probably wouldn't be that interested, but hey, the kids right? Look for 15% off coupon in some of the island guide books.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

Not the greatest, but for the price was fun. Somewhat educational. Not too expensive. Enjoy.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

This is a 45min railway tour around a farm. They talk about history of Kauai and things that unique to Kauai...Wild Chickens. We stop midway to feed chickens and pigs up close.

Reviewed February 29, 2012

We stopped here on our last day we we had a late flight and were looking for something to waste some time near the airport. $18 was pretty expensive for a 40 min. train ride and they push for tips as well (half of which you are stopped to feed pigs and goats). Due to the season most of the trees didn't have any fruit on them so it would be better done in the summer. Kids would probably enjoy it. We felt save leaving our car there with all of our luggage.

1  Thank laptopolivia