“Beautiful Falls!”

Book In Advance
More Info
$135.20*
and up
Private Tour: Kauai Waterfalls, Hidden Beaches...
Ranked #6 of 59 things to do in Lihue
More attraction details
Owner description: A popular waterfall attraction.
Reviewed July 28, 2014

While on a helicopter ride over the island, we flew over these falls. The pilot explained that they were the falls shown at the beginning of the TV show "Fantasy Island" and they were the only major falls on Kauai that you could drive to. They were beautiful from the air but I was unable to get a good picture of them so I vowed to drive back to get a better view. It was worth it.

They are close to the Lihue Airport but I was staying on the north shore so it took me an hour to get to them. I arrived late in the afternoon. From reading other TripAdvisor reviews, I was a little worried about finding a parking spot but at that hour of the day (probably around 5 pm), there were few cars there and it was easy to find a space.

It is true that the view is somewhat limited in that you have to look over the foliage to see the falls but you can see them completely. I wish I'd known how to get down to the bottom because I would have loved to have seen them from that vantage point. However, seeing them from the top was still spectacular. I even got lucky and got a little bit of a rainbow while I was there.

I love waterfalls and so for me, this was well worth the drive to get there.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,793)
All reviews
in 156 reviews
"hiking"
in 129 reviews

Reviewed July 28, 2014

The road was windy to get there. The parking is very limited. The falls looked like they would be spectacular but the view is from the road and you only get to see it from the side. Some of the better reviews mention a rope/rock/root climb down just past the rock wall and at the end of the fence. Took a look to see how difficult it would be to climb down for a better view. Decided the climb down was not worth it since there are so many more falls on the island. Was not going to risk breaking something either on the way down or up. Looked pretty treacherous.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

The kayak up (and down) the Wailua River to the starting point of the hike to the "secret falls" was amazing. Hiking through the forest was a bit tough in some spots so you need a reasonable level of fitness and a guide who knows what they're doing. Don't try this unaccompanied whatever the guide books may say. It wasn't too muddy when we went but I've heard at times it can be very tough when the rains are heavy- and who wants to trudge through knee deep mud?! Once we arrived at the falls we enjoyed a sandwich picnic organised by our guide Ryan. Speaking of which - he was an absolute star. It was so refreshing to meet an American who was interested and aware of other cultures and so passionate about the environment. He was considerate, knowledgeable and funny and really added to our enjoyment of this activity. There are plenty of tours doing this same route - nothing too secret about these Falls but make sure you choose Dukes - what a great experience!

Reviewed July 27, 2014

It was just a look out it would have been nicer to walk to see the waterfalls... it was just a stop in a tourist place... the view is still very nice to see!