“Best time of my life”

Jack Harter Helicopters - Tours
Ranked #6 of 35 Tours in Lihue
More attraction details
Owner description: Jack Harter is the Originator of Helicopter Tours on Kauai. Coming to Kauai in 1962, Jack began offering helicopter tours and charter flights with a focus on safety and quality. Jack's dedication to these important qualities is carried on by the company's hand-picked pilots and ground crew staff that are dedicated to continuing Jack's founding principles. The company offers scenic tours in two types of helicopters: Jack Harter Helicopters' luxurious 6-passenger Eurocopter AStar helicopter features huge floor-to-ceiling windows, BOSE noise-cancelling headsets, air-conditioning, and a cabin layout that has no physical obstructions to viewing the scenery outside. For the more adventurous, their 4-passenger Hughes 500s are flown with the doors removed. There is no luxury in the Hughes 500, but the doors-off flight is very cool! (Double meaning intended!) We ask you to be aware that there are WEIGHT LIMITATIONS for all helicopter tours. The 2 front passenger seats in BOTH helicopter types have more restrictive weight limits, so the SMALLEST PASSENGERS ON ANY GIVEN TOUR ARE USUALLY SEATED IN THE FRONT SEATS. Please look at the company's website to view the aircraft seating diagrams. The company's 60 and 90-minute tours feature Kauai's beautiful Na Pali Coast, the spectacular Waimea Canyon, numerous waterfall-filled valleys including the Hanalei Valley, and Mt. Waialeale, one of the wettest places on earth.
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

I had the chance to fly on the A Star and our pilot was Chris McConnell.
He was amazing, he made all of us feel relaxed. His knowledge of the island was impressive. He explained everything in detail. I highly recommend him to anyone who will be coming to Kauai!!
Thank you for the wonderful ride, I will never forget this experience!!

1  Thank Tahitigrl73
Write a ReviewReviews (1,864)
All reviews
in 56 reviews
"safety briefing"
in 40 reviews

Reviewed December 10, 2013

My wife and I took the 60 minute no-door helicopter tour of Kauai with Jack Harter, and were very impressed with the entire experience. Booking, checking, safety debriefing, and flight were all very professionally done.

(I was somewhat hesitant to take a helicopter tour, and completed some research on the web before booking. Suggest doing your own research to ensure you're comfortable and choose the right company. Do not look for bargains with a helicopter tour on Kauai.)

We flew with Miles, who was personable and did a great job of taking us around the island safely and explaining each of the key sites. His hula-girl dashboard doll was just icing on the cake.

It was a clear, calm day, and we were fortunate enough to fly to the very top center of the island, which we were told is usually only possible 1-2 days per month, and it was pretty cool.

We toured the Na Pali Coast by air, land, and sea, and this was probably my favorite of the experiences.

Compared to the cost of helicopter tours in other states and countries, I felt the cost of the 60 minute flight was very reasonable. This was a great and memorable experience!!!

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I must admit I was nervous--and yet excited--about taking an open-door scenic helicopter ride, but after lifting off I never wanted to get off. The ride was so smooth and what incredible, captivating views! It was thrilling to fly above the Na Pali Coast, into Waimea Canyon, or over the beach featured in the movie, The Descendants. As it turned out, I needn't have been nervous as I was in the middle of the front row, which made me feel more secure, but also made it more difficult to take photos--most of my photos include the pilot (because I had to photograph past him) or were shot through the front window--thus I also captured the glare or rain that fell on the glass. This is such a worthwhile experience if you are in Kauai. A must. My husband and I were both extremely satisfied with the pilot and the company as a whole. Nice folks. Bring a jacket as those seated in the back row will catch a lot of breeze. You will not know where you will be seated until before your flight as your position is determined by your weight in comparison to your flight mates.

2  Thank PassarinhoAzul
Reviewed December 7, 2013

My husband and I arrived on Kauai for a week and planned a helicopter tour the day after we arrived so we could get the 'lay of the land'. We were so glad we did this -- and super glad we selected Jack Harter. The customer service is outstanding and friendly. We had hoped to take a 90 minute tour as that was recommended for those who love to take photos (which I do), but they need to fill each helicopter so we had to settle for an hour tour. They kept us on the 90 minute list until the last minute when we had to switch - and kept in touch with me the whole time to keep us updated.
We selected a 6 passenger A-Star helicopter (this one has doors; it's not as windy and noisy as the open helicopters). The tour It was incredible and we had perfect, clear weather. Our pilot Harry was very friendly and knowledgeable (and said he used to chauffer Richard Branson around so we felt very safe).
We got the two front seats (which is great for taking photos) and had an incredible view of the canyons and cliffs from above, including the famous Na Pali Coast. Note: wear dark clothing so you get less reflection in your photos. Also ask in advance for the front seats; they can't guarantee it but it's worth asking (it all depends on your weight--and the weight of other passengers because they have to balance everything).
We saw the beautiful striations of the red and grey clay--from mountain tops to flying right inside the canyons. We went west from the airport up along the canyons to the sea, then up along the gorgeous blue coast and into the foggy north shore where if you're lucky and it's not raining you can see the wettest spot on earth (Mt. Waialeale). We saw many waterfalls including the Mana Waiopuna Falls filmed in the Jurassic Park movie, and the patterns of taro fields to the north of the island. It was a wonderful experience and we highly recommend Jack Harter. They are well-run and worth every penny.