“Unbelievable experience with absolute professionals”

Jack Harter Helicopters - Tours
Ranked #5 of 34 Tours in Lihue
More attraction details
Owner description: Jack Harter is the Originator of Helicopter Tours on Kauai. Coming to Kauai in 1962, Jack began offering helicopter tours and charter flights with a focus on safety and quality. Jack's dedication to these important qualities is carried on by the company's hand-picked pilots and ground crew staff that are dedicated to continuing Jack's founding principles. The company offers scenic tours in two types of helicopters: Jack Harter Helicopters' luxurious 6-passenger Eurocopter AStar helicopter features huge floor-to-ceiling windows, BOSE noise-cancelling headsets, air-conditioning, and a cabin layout that has no physical obstructions to viewing the scenery outside. For the more adventurous, their 4-passenger Hughes 500s are flown with the doors removed. There is no luxury in the Hughes 500, but the doors-off flight is very cool! (Double meaning intended!) We ask you to be aware that there are WEIGHT LIMITATIONS for all helicopter tours. The 2 front passenger seats in BOTH helicopter types have more restrictive weight limits, so the SMALLEST PASSENGERS ON ANY GIVEN TOUR ARE USUALLY SEATED IN THE FRONT SEATS. Please look at the company's website to view the aircraft seating diagrams. The company's 60 and 90-minute tours feature Kauai's beautiful Na Pali Coast, the spectacular Waimea Canyon, numerous waterfall-filled valleys including the Hanalei Valley, and Mt. Waialeale, one of the wettest places on earth.
Reviewed October 28, 2012

The reviews on Trip Advisor were the main reason I decided to go with Jack Harter and after reading up on the history of the company and speaking with them over the phone, I was sold. Upon check in, my husband and I realized just how good of a choice we made. Please dont be deceived by the looks of their office, though. It has history of being the home of Jack Harter when he first started the company and you can tell just by talking to the employees that it has a lot of sentimental value to them. Its a small company but with a close knit family feel, very well organized and extremely professional. My husband is an avid photographer so we decided on the doors off tour in the Hughes 500. I really can't describe how amazing and beautiful it was. Definitely the way to go for the best look of the island. Our pilot, John, talked us through some of the features of the island and answered any and all questions asked during the flight. He made sure that everyone had a good view and that those with cameras on both sides of the aircraft got a chance to get a good shot of everything we saw. Also, they are literal about being up in the air for the time you've paid for because we had a full hour of wonderful views of the island. John and everyone at Jack Harter absolutely made our trip and we will most definitely be booking with them again.

1  Thank KellyB510

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Must do in Kauai! Doors open four passengers and great staff. We had the most amazing experience. Beside me being extremely scared of heights, the views were breath taking. Thank you to our pilot Marty for trying to calm my nerves.

2  Thank JDiaf
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Since my husband knows a lot about helicopters, I asked him to choose the company we would fly on in Kauai. He chose Jack Harter Helicopters after speaking with them on the phone. They seemed to answer all his questions in the right way! We flew on the smaller helicopter, the Hughes 500, which had the doors removed. This would give us the optimal view. He and I were in the back seat, which is where you want to be. If two of you (in addition to the pilot) are int he front seat, you can't move. And if you are in the front middle seat, you have to have the pilot working controls between your legs--so choose the back seat. I have flown in a helicopter before, but when we took off, with no doors, it was not only windy, but also scarey! Never experienced anything like that! Our pilot was wonderful. Narrated and carried on a conversation with all of us constantly with everyone wearing headsets. He didn't try to scare us. Gave us a great, smooth ride. After I got over thinking, "What happens if this seat belt breaks," I enjoyed it immensely. Great way to see Kauai and the Na Pali Coast. Also, be sure to go in the a.m. because clouds move in by lunchtime and cover the top of the mountains. Our tour was at 9:30 and perfect.

2  Thank Sassy718
Reviewed October 25, 2012

For flatlanders from Alberta this was fantastic. We were lucky enough to be on the top of the island without a cloud in site. Waterfalls, coastline, and landscape. Our pilot was a wealth of knowledge. The open doors made it even more real. To feel the heat and the cold made the experience 4D. Yes it was the most expensive but can you put a price on a once in a lifetime experience?

2  Thank Chaperoneguy
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This being my first helicopter experience, I can't give you much insight into Jack Harter vs other companies, but I can very definitively say that they gave me and experience which was the highlight of my holiday. I went on one of the "doors off" tours in the mid-afternoon and was treated to some great scenery, an interesting commentary and photo taking heaven. A helicopter tour early in your visit to Kauai is a lovely introduction to the island. If you're vacillating over the cost - just do it!

1  Thank cherri_d