“the best pancakes in the world”
Review of Tip Top

Tip Top
Ranked #10 of 121 Restaurants in Lihue
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed March 14, 2014

the secret recipe kept in this family is incredible. the best pancakes ever. i send everyone here and my kids come to visit just to eat them ( maybe to see me too). they buy extra to eat during the week every day when we can not get there. they like the mac nut pancakes and i have to admit they are totally gossamer and like no other pancake on earth. it just does not get better. a must go-to breakfast experience. the place is simple and very diner-like but homey. it is like stepping into an old fashioned diner. service is expeditious and efficient. JUST DO NOT MISS IT!!!!

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Try this place for lunch. You will not regret it. I ordered what locals order here for lunch which is their oxtail soup. It is their version of Vietnamese pho soup with rice noodles. Delicious! Unlike most Vietnamese restaurants, this place does not use MSG to create that fake taste.

Dinner is a different matter. It is a Japanese restaurant at night. It is good but not good enough to rave about. It was rather anticlimactic after the oxtail soup I had in my previous visit.

Their macadamia brownies are also delicious.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

We learned about Tip Top Cafe from the bellman at the hotel where we stayed. It is conveniently located near the airport and is filled with locals which is always a good sign. The restaurant has been in business for many years - and is now run by the 3rd generation. We had pancakes which were large and delicious. The local clientele seemed to all be eating the ox tail soup which was very popular. The service was quick and turning tables to meet demand seemed to drive efficiency. We enjoyed eating here and recommend it to other travelers. We will certainly go back to Tip Top on our next trip to Kauai.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We came here because it was a place where the locals went. That held true as we were probably the only non-locals at the time. Service was very good, the coffee was never cold, and the food was delicious. Loco moco was good, portuguese sausage tasty, and eggs cooked perfectly. My only gripe is the hash browns were the frozen rectangle shaped type. Not so delicious.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Tip Top was recommended by a local and when we got there we almost left. If we would have, it would have been a huge mistake, HUGE.
The first trip we had pancakes and loco moco, seemed perfect before a big day of hiking and snorkeling. So good. If you see nothing but locals in a place like this and it is packed, you know its right.
The second time I decided to get the oxtail soup because it appeared to be a local favorite. I have never tasted a soup so good, it was amazing!! I stopped and got a to go container of it before heading to the airport and sat on a cement seat at the airport eating it as it was going to be my last meal in Hawaii for a while.
We grabbed a few bakery items to go and today as i sit in my office I am munching on some mac nut muffin!
Service is great, food is awesome!!