“Local pancakes”

Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Ask for the coconut syrup with your light and fluffy macadamia nut pancakes. Husband had the loco moco with fried rice. The brown gravy makes it hard to tell whether the rice was plain white or fried. Egg was perfectly cooked over easy. Mostly locals on a back street downtown. Good prices. Fast and friendly service.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I had to force my family off the resort to go here, but once they had the food, and my husband saw the prices, everyone was happy. The banana pancakes are great! My daughter had the Hawaiian sweet bread french toast and loved it. Hubby had the loco-moco and said it was great! A bit scarey at first but lots of locals. The pancakes at our hotel were $18.00, these were $5.95 and just as good.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

The Tip Top has a cult like following so when we found ourselves in the neighborhood one morning, we decided to try it.

The restaurant is actually larger than you would think for the small motel. It is not fancy but clean with comfortable booths. The food is delivered on carts instead of the waitresses trying to bring all the different plates on their arms.

I had such high hopes bases on the all the reviews but was really disappointed. My husband had the smoked bacon omelet with hash browns and I had the mac nut pancakes with pineapple. There was nothing wrong with the omelet but nor was it really memorable. The hash browns tasted like the ones we eat at home that we get in the freezer section on Walmart.

The pancakes were the biggest disappointment. The actual pancakes were pretty good but didn't have enough warmth left in them to even melt the butter. So that meant I tore them up trying to put butter on them. The pineapple was a couple of large chunks so most of the bites didn't have any pineapple flavor. That was actually a good thing. The pineapple had very little pineapple flavor and actually tasted pretty sour.

The good things about our meal was it was inexpensive, quick and had good coconut syrup. One more thing off the list I don't have to do again.

1  Thank justmeinsd
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stopped here for breakfast based on reccomendations, the place is a bit scary when you walk in but the food was very good. We had the banana and the macadamia nut pancakes and they were yummy. My daughter had the the sweet bread french toast and they were really good. The portuguese omellette was good but compared to the pancakes it didn't hold a candle. Service was a bit lacking other than the coffee cart.

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

its un assuming from the outside but once you get in its bustling and the food is great. A really great option with local flavor and worth a morning visit.