“Fast service”

Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stopped at the Tip Top Cafe for breakfast on our way to the airport on the recommendation of a local airport worker. There were tourists and locals there as the cafe is next to a motel. We had a short wait but after we were seated the waitress took our order quickly and our food came after just a short wait. The menu had the usual American choices but also offered beef stew, oxtail soup, noodles, & loco moco. I ordered a vegetable omelet that I found a bit runny and my friend ordered pancakes that were OK. The prices were a little high.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We recently had breakfast at the Tip Top Cafe. There were lots of things on the menu you wouldn't normally see for breakfast. The oxtail soup was one of them. Lots of the locals were eating it, so it must be good. I had plain pancakes with guava pineapple jam. Very good. My husband had the eggs, corned beef hash and rice. It was just fine, nothing special. Reasonably priced but probably won't go back.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I went into Lihue specifically for breakfast since we were so acclimated to TX time, and we beat the rush to Tip Top...and boy were we glad we did! When we were leaving there was a line out the door! My hubby had the Loco Moco and I had a breakfast plate with fried rice and the Banana-Macadamia nut pancakes...they were AMAZING! The service is fast and friendly, and there were quite a few locals in the restaurant. It really feels more like an old-timey diner than anything. The pancakes were the best thing we had probably on our whole trip, they were warm fresh, sweet, creamy, and didn't require butter or syrup or anything! We even went back two more times! Be aware though, they are CLOSED on Monday's! They do have wonderful chocolate-dipped macadamia nut cookies, as well. And the best part? It's SUPER AFFORDABLE! I think our whole bill was like $15.00. Do yourself a favor and go, go often, and go early!

Reviewed February 22, 2013

If it were not for tripadvisor reviews we would have never found this place. I don't know why it is so hard to find a sit down breakfast restaurant in Kaua'i. The food is good and the coffee keeps coming. Service is fast and polite. Selection is an interesting mix of American breakfast, Asian dishes, and islander favorites. Only draw back is the parking can be VERY tight if you get there in the busy times and have to try for a spot at the motel next door.

Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

We tried out this place having read the other reviews and kept coming back for breakfast every day. It is a popular place among locals but we felt welcome being tourists nonetheless. Their menu includes typical breakfast dishes with eggs any style, as well as oxtail soup if that is your thing in the morning. We tried both and liked it all the same. The pineapple pancake became my favourite. The prices are reasonable and the service is nice and efficient. Definitely recommended!

1  Thank simon78_says