“Wonderful surprise”
Review of Cafe Portofino

Cafe Portofino
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Portofino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 120 Restaurants in Lihue
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Marriott Way
Description: True Italian fare, but also specializing in Seafood and Steaks! Cafe Portofino overlooking the Pacific Ocean near the Marriott hotel has been called "A honeymoon destination' by Martha Stewart, and 'one of the top 10!' by Gourmet Magazine. Please come and enjoy the gentle tradewinds and enjoy a classic dining experience.
Mount Prospect, Illinois
“Wonderful surprise”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We were staying at the Marriott Resort and came in close to dinner and very hungry. Walked to the beach and although I am not the biggest fan of Italian food we decided to give Portifino's a try. First of all the harp music was so nice as we sat and looked out at the beach. The service was excellent! Our waiter was helpful, attentive and just plain enjoyable. My daughter and I loved the chicken marsala, one of our favorites. One of our favorite meals during the stay and definitely our favorite restaurant at the Marriott with the best service as well!

Seattle, Washington
“Better then Expected”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

After reading some of the negative reviews my wife and I decided to try it anyway because we wanted to sit outside and enjoy the ocean view. We lowered our expectations so we wouldn't be to disappointed if the service and food were just Ok . We needed have. We had a great table with a nice ocean view and a very pleasant experience. Our waitress was attentive, but didn't hurry us, in fact told us to enjoy our wine and she would be back in 10 to take our orders. We both had different chicken dishes that were very good, price was a little high but not unexpected in an nice oceanfront restaurant in Hawaii. My wife mentioned it was our anniversary and the waitress even brought us a free desert. All in all we were very satisfied and would not hesitate to go back again. If you like an ocean view with your Italian food we would highly recommend it.

Houston
“A Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

The restaurant is located on the Marriott Lihue property. Yes it is probably a little more expensive because it is on a hotel property but you can make your choices on what you want to eat and they do have a good table wine. My husband and I own a timeshare on the property and for years we avoided this restaurant but on our last visit we found out our favorite Italian restaurant had closed because the owners retired so we decided to give Café Portofino a chance. They have inside and outside seating which is located right on the water so you can make your choice about where you want to eat depending on the weather. If you don't want to spend a lot of money you can get a simple pasta dish for about 20 dollars. The restaurant is run and owned by an old Italian family. The chef is Italian, and they have a good wait staff. We ended up eating in the restaurant 5 or 6 times during our stay. I liked the restaurant, it was nice not to have to drive a 1/2 hour or more to a restaurant, the food was good, I like the feel of the restaurant and the wine was good. I am Italian, lived in New York and Houston.

• Visited May 2014
Salisbury, Maryland
“Delicious Italian, but Pricey”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

If you are tired of fish and seafood on the island and want something more traditional, this higher end Italian restaurant is a nice change. The cafe is more of a fine dining restaurant, with white table clothes and servers in bow ties. We were surprised it wasn't very busy when we went, but couldn't complain because we were glad we didn't have to wait for a table A nice gentlemen played the harp in the background, and a table against the railing overlooking the beach is the perfect setting for a romantic date night.

The service was very good, our waiter was attentive and very knowledgeable about the menu and what they had to offer. There are many things to choose from, but the average price for the seafood and steak dishes are around $35. They have some cheaper italian pasta dishes, but they aren't served with meat. I had the scallops, and substituted pasta for the starch. The server at first explained you can sub pasta for a side, so I though I would get scallops, a side of pasta, and veggies, however they sub both vegetables for pasta. You can get any type of sauce, I do recommend their Pink sauce which is more of a creamy tomato. All of our dishes were extremely tasty, and I certainly thought it was worth the price we paid.

Highly recommend the artichoke appetizer, enough to share between 3-4 people. And the desserts are large enough to share as well, amazing Tiramisu.

Hobe Sound, Florida
“Nasty attitudes and overpriced foods-pseudo snobs!”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Right form the "git go" we've tried this place a couple of times while making our annual Marriott stay at their host hotel. The pomposity of reception is beyond belief for Hawaii-guess they try to play the NYC, mainland attemt at being "high class"(doesnp;t work-sorry!).The menu and food is good-as it should well be for their excessive hotel range prices-but service is also snotty and very condescending. Being a wine professional I was really turned off by the attitude they presented when simply questioned about the wine list. Hey, if you simpy need to have gourmet food on easygoing, "kickback" relaxing kauai-go down to Roy's in Poipu which albeit not inexpensive is Hawaiian in character, the food great, the wine list superb and "dammit" classy yet cordial and relaxing! I rarely give poor reviews but we've tried this over a three year period on our annual Marriott stays-and my viewpoint has been consistently reinforced.

Visited December 2013