“Rushed Service”
Review of Cafe Portofino

Cafe Portofino
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Portofino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 120 Restaurants in Lihue
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Marriott Way
Description: True Italian fare, but also specializing in Seafood and Steaks! Cafe Portofino overlooking the Pacific Ocean near the Marriott hotel has been called "A honeymoon destination' by Martha Stewart, and 'one of the top 10!' by Gourmet Magazine. Please come and enjoy the gentle tradewinds and enjoy a classic dining experience.
new york
“Rushed Service”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I reserved our spot here for dinner earlier in the day and was happy with the interaction. The person scheduling me, in person, was smiling, welcoming, and seemed happy to assist me. We ate early, 6PM, and even arriving and being seated I began to doubt our choice. Sitting on the deck overlooking the water was fine, and our waitress did smile and tried to talk with us, but she was clearly rushed by either quantity of tables or her own inner dynamic. We ordered apps and salads before entrees, but food came over food and you KNEW you were supposed to be farther along in the meal than you were. We paid our bill before 7PM. So much for a leisurely multi course Italian feast in a romantic place. As we left, I saw the person who scheduled me earlier in the day. I attempted to speak to him, again certain some of my earlier good interaction would be the last note of the night, only to be ignored. Not good. Having traveled in Italy pretty extensively, I can definitively state, the Italians would be appalled at the lack of understanding of what Italian dining is all about.

3 Thank cuse2006

Seattle, Washington
“Don't eat here on your Kauai vacation”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

See other reviews rating this "1" or "2" and note recent dates. Owner/host is an arrogant jerk, even the friendliest of the server staff have grumpy backup,service is poor, food is below average and way overpriced. The Marriott needs to boot this place out, given the limited number of restaurants in the area, and get something decent in here. One expects to pay a premium at resort hotel restaurants but get at least average food and service.

6 Thank Fred W
“Terrible”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

It's just a short walk from the marriott resort but that's the only good thing I can say. The host had an attitude that said " I don't really care that you're here". The food was sub par Italian and overpriced. My veal Marsala was decent but my wife had a similar entree that was about half the size of mine and was tough. The waitress we had at first was too busy serving several rounds of drinks to the table next to us so they gave us a different waitress who was at least polite. I guess they are trying to save money because when my wife asked for some lemon for her water she brought out two small slices on a napkin. We had to wait for quite awhile for our food also and it definitely wasn't worth it. When we were finished with our plates several wait staff were just standing behind us chatting seemingly blind that we had dirty dishes that should have cleared away. In two words, terrible experience!

4 Thank wph01
Kasson, Minnesota, United States
“Worst Place I ate Lihue”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We were seated inside against the back wall as far away from the beach as possible. The decor inside was outdated and seemed out of place for a nicer restaurant. The service was slow and our waitress was rude. When she asked us what we wanted to drink we looked for a drink menu and did not find one. When none of us answered within a few seconds the waitress rudely said she assumes we don't want drinks. When we told her we would like a drink menu, she replied they had every drink under the sun, although they did not have any of the beers or sodas the people in our group wanted.

When our meals arrived they were okay to average for taste quality, but not what I would expect for the price we were paying.

Groups of 5 or more should be aware that there is an 18% automatic gratuity and you can not split the check, although we knew about this when we were seated.

4 Thank Josh H
Woburn, Massachusetts
“Don't go. The most unfriendly staff.”
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Did not stay long enough to eat. Waited and waited for server to take our drink order. Finally we left without ordering and went to Dukes next door, which was great.

4 Thank Safetyman677