“Nice Concept/Location - Poorly Executied”
Review of Cafe Portofino

Cafe Portofino
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Portofino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 125 Restaurants in Lihue
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Marriott Way
Description: True Italian fare, but also specializing in Seafood and Steaks! Cafe Portofino overlooking the Pacific Ocean near the Marriott hotel has been called "A honeymoon destination' by Martha Stewart, and 'one of the top 10!' by Gourmet Magazine. Please come and enjoy the gentle tradewinds and enjoy a classic dining experience.
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I now see why this place gets the ratings it does. Very nice location and facility. Service was OK - not consistent, but OK Its the food. The Caprese salad had tomatoes that tasted like cardboard. The mozzarella was tough and no taste. My seafood special (Mahi Mahi) was nice but overcooked. Wife's Bolognese lacked taste. Wine selection is fine. If ever a place needed a Gordon Ramsey make-over this would be it. Shrink the menu, use local fresh ingredients, prepare it well, then execute.... Its not hard, but these guys make it seem so. With so many options in the area, I will not be back - even if I do have a $10 off coupon from my resort.

1  Thank RWmDean

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Fresh caught Hawaiian fish of the day served with pastas beautifully presented is to be savored here. The owner plays the harp as you dine by the beach. Very romantic. And you can charge to your room if you're staying at the Marriott.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We ate here last night, and had a really nice meal. The restaurant itself is tucked behind The Marriott and is right on the beach. Lovely ocean views. The lady who served us was fantastic, very attentive and quick to refill the wine glasses. Really good service.
Starter of calamari which was very nice.
Main courses of pasta carbonara and cannelloni were both very good. Plus a free basket of bread.
They have a good selection of wine and other drinks. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

In Dec 2009, my family and I ate here and the review was not very good back then. Although I was apprehensive to try it during this trip, we went and it has improved.

We were seated on the balcony and able to take in the beautiful views of the bay in the evening. The waitress was attentive and pleasant. The portion sizes of the pasta were good and both the pasta and the sauces were tasty. The prices are expensive (but what isn't on such an island paradise?) This was our favorite meal on the island.

If you tried the restaurant in previous years and did not have a positive experience - maybe try it again. I am glad I did.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

this place is over priced by far the strak I had was very fatty and not all that good,the sevice was very what ashame they let us down with the meal

1  Thank Waynearmstrong

Been to Cafe Portofino? Share your experiences!