“A Local Favorite, But the Lau Lau is Lacking”
Review of Dani's Restaurant

Dani's Restaurant
Ranked #28 of 121 Restaurants in Lihue
Cuisines: American, Japanese, Polynesian, Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Dani's has been a Lihue, Kauai staple for countless Hawaii citizens for quite some time. If you are a fan of Hawaiian style tripe stew, this is the place on Kauai to get it. However, if you want to eat a Hawaiian food plate (lau lau and other assorted local favorits such as poi, lomi salmon, and kalua pig), forego the lau lau. Generally speaking for those of you who are unfamiliar with Hawaiian cuisine, a lau lau usually consists of pork and fish wrapped in taro leaves and steamed for hours encased in ti leaves (sort of like banana leaves). After you unwrap and discard the ti leaves, you're supposed to be able to eat the taro leaves and meat. Unfortunately, my lau lau had absolutely no taro leaves to speak of, just pork and fish. Maybe it's a Kauai thing, but I like my steamed taro leaves (for you Southerners, think collard greens).

Reviewed May 7, 2013

If you get sick of spending tons of money on your vacation definitely check out Dani's. We stopped in for lunch and wished we had visited earlier! The food was simple Hawaiian food - rice, pasta salad, etc. Good portions and was so cheap. Clearly a local place. Our waitress was sweet, fast and helpful. They close pretty early (I want to say 1 or 2) so make sure you get in early.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

You won't find many haoles here, but the locals seem to love it. I am guessing it is because it is cheaper island fare. The food was okay but not remarkable or memorable. Either we were all starving or something because all four of us left hungry. Oh, the bathrooms need cleaning. One friend described it as not having been cleaned in years. I said you are exaggerating, it is as clean as any gas station bathroom.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

On Rice St. out of tourist hotel area but great place to enjoy traditional food. Don't let view from street scare you away. We were looking for a grocery store but wanted breakfast on our 1st morning on Kauai & went in only because we were very hungry. Diners appeared to be mainly local Hawaiian. Waitress explained dishes on menu. I loved lau lau - a pork dish with tara leaves (looks & tasted like spinach) wrapped in ki leaf served with rice & a delicious salsa & papaya. Fruit was best we had during week on Kauai. Not open evenings. We went back another day for lunch. I tried a side of poi. Not much taste but glad I tried it. Will miss lau lau in my home town!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is a no-frills place in terms of 'ambience' but clean with good food and good service. We ate breakfast there on a Saturday and business was booming. Food is very reasonably priced, especially if you like Kona coffee -- which is included with most of the breakfast choices as part of the price. I had a cheese omelet, which was cooked perfectly. My husband had the pineapple pancakes. If you are looking for 'healthy multigrain' type choices you'll have to look elsewhere, but my husband loved his pancakes. We would definitely go back for breakfast but after glancing over the lunch menu didn't see anything that appealed to us for that meal (if you enjoy meat 'with brown gravy' and/or fried fish, then you'll be in luck!).