“Local Favorite and inexpensive”

Garden Island BBQ & Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 120 Restaurants in Lihue
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We have had 4 meals here in the past 2 weeks, both lunch & dinner. This restaurant is hopping busy and among our favorite for Asian as well as American fare. Service is excellent. On Rice St. in Lihue, easy to find. A MUST if you're in Kauai.

There are newer reviews for Garden Island BBQ & Chinese Restaurant

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I've spent many of my summers on most of the islands of Hawaii. Kauai has always been my parents' favorite island, and they always talked about Garden Isle BBQ. Not remembering it from my previous visits to Kauai, I was excited to go. I was stunned by how quick the food arrived. I'm far from an adventurous eater, so I stuck with the safe bet, lemon chicken. Served with a side of rice and macaroni salad, after that one trip I had a new favorite. We returned three other times, including on the way to the airport, to get food to go. Let's just say the food from the last trip didn't make it to the mainland. I wish I was closer, I could truly eat it every day and never get tired of the food. There wasn't one time that any of us were dissatisfied. HUGE portions, super quick service... Timed 7 minutes from ordering, to food on the table.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

A whole lot of food, fast serves, friendly staff and good food at a reasonable price, which is the good part. If you do not deal well with a noise hectic eating establishment this is not the place for you. I saw it on a morning walk from the hotel I was staying and ask the front desk staff about it and was told they send guest to it all the time and have never had any one complained. We went for dinner and had the pork char sur as an appetizer for the two of us we each order a sizzling platter tenderloin steak with black pepper, we could not eat it all. Yes, the locals seem to love this place and I can see why. We are glad we found this place and plan to go back again before we leave.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

So much of the rating of our experiences is based on our initial expectations. I had low expectations going in. The place was packed with people. Staff frantically getting food to tables. Children running around. I decided to order take out. I was expecting prices to be on the higher side so I was pleasantly surprised that the cost per item was extremely reasonable. I thought I would be waiting at least 20 minutes for my food. The food was ready in less than 10 minutes. Still having low expectations regarding the taste of the food I was pleasantly surprised as I ate it. It was far better and tastier than I thought.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

After a day of snorkeling both Ke'e and Tunnels we were hungry! Could not have found a better place, large menu, nice staff, lightning-fast service and decent food! Don'T BELIEVE THE FOOD-SNOBS, this is better eats than 80% of America eat in their own homes. Try the seafood platter or combo, amazing value! mahi-mahi, shrimp and lemon chicken or several other choices. Dinner party of three, full for 30 $ ...beat that on Kauai!