“Good Value but Watch Out for the Salt”

Garden Island BBQ & Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 123 Restaurants in Lihue
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed March 10, 2008

We had their daily specials: Sizzling fish and eggplant with spicy pork. All for about $17 and more than enough for the two of us. There were big chunks of fish fried and cooked in a brown sauce and egg plant with ground pork Szechuan style. Both dishes were acceptable but little too salty. It's not Cantonese style where they don't use a lot of spice to drown the food.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed December 15, 2007

a little on the high price side, but good food.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 29, 2007

I love this restaurant. The menu is extensive. I love the Won ton mein soup. Try the kal bi ribs. It is very tasty! The tofu and vegetables is good too.

Reviewed August 13, 2007

I concur with the other posters- Large portions at a non-island price. Value outweighs nuisances of service. Food was prepared in record time. Great for those who are hungry and don't want to wait. I would caution you though that food is not prepared the same as you would expect at a mainland Chineese Restaraunt. Food is not bad, but may not appeal to your picky eaters who expect it to be exactly as expected. My biggest gripe is that of all the restaraunts we went to during our trip, I found the local staff (as in locals...not Chineese staff) here to be the most rude. I was warned before going to Kauai to stay away from the local (non-tourist) hang-outs because locals tend to be rude toward tourists. Unfortunately I found this to be my experience here.

3  Thank BeachBummn2
Reviewed July 6, 2007

After 7 days on the island, we stumbled upon this restaurant during the time between checking in our luggage and dropping off our rental car. Boy, do we wish we had found it earlier. With about 1.5 hours for dinner, we chose this restaurant only because Hamura's Saimin was packed and it was just around the corner. We ordered some rice plates (BBQ chicken, chicken katsu, seafood, cold ginger chicken, char siu) and a bowl of Teri saimin. We had more than enough food for our party of 4 adults and 3 children. The pre-tip bill came in under $33--less than we paid per plate at the Sheraton the night before. And, after a week of waiting at nearly every restaurant we went to, we were stunned and pleased when our food came only about 5 minutes after we ordered. We walked out of that place about 45 minutes after we entered and got to the airport with much time to spare.

4  Thank ubay