“JJ's is great”

JJ's Broiler
Ranked #12 of 120 Restaurants in Lihue
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I think I had the best fish and chips in my life here. Very friendly staff, great breeze, great view. Even the price was great.

1  Thank Ballena57
There are newer reviews for JJ's Broiler

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Although this place was recommended in the book we brought along to Kauai, we didn't try this until lunch the day before we left because of some of the comments we saw on YELP. Well, we weren't disappointed. I ended up getting a steak with a plain green salad (instead of the fries). They serve it with a Teriyaki and barbecue sauce. I tried both sauces but preferred the steak plain. The steak was done exactly right. It was tender and just what I wanted. My companion had the fish & chips. The fish was made with Mahi-Mahi. The fries were done in a batter and were absolutely fabulous. Good beach view as well.

1  Thank ladyG2
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We had dinner here on a Saturday and patrons were coming in to watch the U of Hawaii football game. Since this is an open-air restaurant birds do come wandering through looking for scraps of food to eat. I had the fish chips, and it was a huge portion. The fish was quite "dense", and not flaky - maybe I'm just not used to the type of fish used. I could have done with just half an order. My husband had a hamburger, with fries. Nothing outstanding about either meal.

There was an incident in the restaurant, which the manager finally handled. From what we could hear the owner's son was there and didn't do what needed to be done to diffuse the situation. The manager stepped in, and did what needed to be done to neutralize the situation. She did come over to apologize to us - we were seated right across from where the incident occurred.

Basically this is a sports bar and we stopped in as my husband wanted a burger and didn't want to drive too far from the Marriott. Nothing "bad" about the place, but it's just not for us.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

This place can't decide if it's a sports bar or a fine dining restuarant. Certainly the prices say fine dining restuarant. The staff is friendly enough though lacks polish. (Note to JJ's: have your wait staff deliver the bill and express thanks rather than tossing it on the table while walking by without breaking stride.)

My wife liked her seafood dish but my garlic rubbed steak was burnt to a crisp and uneatable. The garlic rub was the worst tasting mush I've ever had. The website menu says this steak is $29.99 but it really costs $36. Don't believe the prices on the online menu.

Do yourself a favor and just go to JJ's for a ball game or to get a drink on the outside deck with a nice water view. For a good dinner, walk over to Duke's Canoe Club - upstairs or down.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

The food, service and restaurant were all fine but nothing special. Reminded me of TGI Fridays on the beach and with sports decor. If you are going to have dinner in the area once or just a few times then I would recommend Duke's Barefoot (downstairs) for a much better and comparably priced meal with better setting.