See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 7, 2016

Ok I don't write many reviews, but for Motel Lani I will make an exception because they saved my trip to Kauai! Let me explain: I just came back from Kauai where I stayed for a week with my wife between Christmas and New Year 2015. I was hoping to find a centrally located and affordable place to stay since we were planning to explore the island during the day, so all we needed was a place with a bed and a shower. Unfortunately it was a last-minute decision to go so we started looking for places the week before Christmas and of course all affordable places on the whole island were already fully booked up: That week the cheapest hotel rooms where $200+ a night, while the cheapest places on AirBnB were $150+ a night. The only affordable place I could find was the Tip Top Motel in Lihue for $100 a night, but they only had availability on a few random days... That's when we found out about Motel Lani. It was exactly what we were looking for! The price was just $50 a night during the busiest week of the whole year, how is that even possible in 2015... Of course no thrills, but clean and comfortable! It's an old-fashioned family-owned place, you cannot book them online or through a travel agency (lucky me, that's why they still had availability between Christmas and New Year, even if they only have 7 rooms or so...), you have to call them yourself to make a reservation and they only accept cash. Free parking, no wifi, but who cares you are on Kauai. If you are planning a Kauai adventure on a small budget, or you are just looking for a simple but honest place to stay, look no further... this is it!

• Stayed: December 2015, traveled as a couple
5  Thank gginelli
Reviewed August 15, 2015 via mobile

Found the motel via internet, you need to call if you want to book in advance (highly recommended). It is perfectly located in Lihue if you're planning on exploring the island. The rooms are basic but clean (somehow there is vinegar smell coming out of the a/c but you'll get used to it... I guess).

The real gem of motel Lani is the owner, Dwoun (or similar). His knowledge about Hawaii is extensive and he is willing to bombard you with his memorized library every time you meet (so plan some extra time when leaving the room). His advice and weather forecast was better than anything you could find in books or the internet and he will teach you the benefits of Wallmart. =)

All in all the stay at Motel Lani is very pleasant if you're on a budget and you probably won't get a better price ratio anywhere else (53 $ a night). Mahalo!

Stayed: August 2015, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ichdarfdas
Reviewed June 18, 2015

Best budget motel in Kauai close to Lihue airport, cash only. If you are single or a couple looking just for a place to sleep and shower go for this motel. Wont get cheaper accomodation anywhere else on Kauai. Though it has old rooms, bathroom is renovated and clean. There is a refrigerator but AC is loud. There is free parking but no wifi or TV or coffee machine or microwave because it is a locally owned budget motel. Towels here were better than what you get in some bigger hotels but bring your own shampoo and toiletries except bar soap. Had a decent one night stay here.

Stayed: June 2015, traveled as a couple
4  Thank A V
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Had some family come over for a visit and they stayed at this Local Motel. The owners have kept it as original as possible. It is an older motel, and reminds me of old Kauai, and if you are lucky enough to be staying there when the Family that owns it is having a get together, they will even invite you to join their festivities. We were there when they were celebrating a grandchild's birthday, and we were invited to join in for a meal with them. The food and company was priceless. It is not a fancy hotel that you will pay $400 a night for, there is no t.v., but who needs that when you are staying in paradise. It is a clean room for a great price!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
9  Thank KauaiHITraveler
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Why pay $400 a night when you can come to paradise on a budget and stay here at the Motel Lani! These rooms were clean! and the staff was unbeleavably friendly. For around $50 a night I was able to enjoy the beautiful Island and stay in budget. No the room didn't have a TV, but who needs that in paradise....Seriously I can not say enough. I am so so pleased with the way my trip turned out, and much mahalo to the wonderful staff here at Motel Lani!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo