“Great food and atmosphere!”
Review of Duke's Kauai

Duke's Kauai
Reserve with OpenTable
Duke's Kauai is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 125 Restaurants in Lihue
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Shoreline Access
Transit: Bus stop on Rice Street
Description: On the sand at Kalapaki Beach, Duke’s is dedicated to legendary surfer Duke Kahanamoku, Hawaii’s Ambassador of Aloha. The restaurant’s open-air design offers stunning, sweeping ocean views while the 30 foot waterfall plunges into a koi pond below that meanders through the tables. Enjoy a leisurely lunch, romantic dinner, or tropical cocktail in a fun, friendly atmosphere.
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Right on the beach, and the food was amazing! Make sure to make reservations or else you won't get in!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,475)

Reviewed July 17, 2014

We dined here during our stay in Lihue on the recommendation of one of the concierge staff members at our hotel. Super easy to find as it's close to the Marriott and there is good parking if you get there early and try to eat during "off" hours (ie not during peak dinner hours). We ate there at 8pm so the dinner rush was already over and it was on July 3, thus over a busy holiday weekend.

For drinks, my friends had the Kalapaki Colada $9.50, Hawaiian Salt $10, El Patron $12. I was the designated driver, thus I had water (boring). But, I did take a tiny zip of each beverage and my fave was the Kalapaki Colada as it was a better version of a Pina Colada and it tasted like fresh coconuts. I like fruity/girly drinks so that was my fave. We had the Monchong fish cooked in various styles ($30.95 each) and my two other friends had the Opah fish cooked in various styles as well ($31.95 each). Our server was Tara and she was like 8 months pregnant! We thought she would be tired and moody, but her service was excellent. She answered all of our questions on how the various preparations of the choice of fish differed from each other. All main entrees come with an all you can eat salad bar and bread options. The muffins were awesome, very fresh and tasty. The Monchong fish and Opah fish were all very flavorful, not rubbery and overcooked. This sounds weird, but I don't like fishy fish. Haha...does that make sense? The portions are rather large, even for a foodie like me so you will leave very full and happy.

We then ordered dessert which was a Hula Pie $8.95. OMFG. Wow. Wow. Wow. I needed some insulin with that huge slice of pie. It was an ice cream pie with a macadamia nut crust. It was definitely large enough for 4 people to share. I had a coffee also $2.95 to wash it all down. Overall, the meal came out to be under $200 with tip for 4 adults so it's definitely a great place to dine for seafood complete with a great view. We sat upstairs and had a great view of the ocean before the sun set.

This place requires reservations (recommended) but you can also press your luck by walking in, but you might have to wait awhile. The service was exceptional by Tara. Food was awesome, very tasty and not overbearing. The selection is very large, thus you can find something to eat whether you're a vegetarian, meat lover, pasta eater, seafood lover, etc. Prices are also affordable for the view and the type of restaurant you're at. This isn't a fast food joint so be patient for your food. You will LOVE the salad bar as again, there's something for everyone. The lettuce and fruits were fresh and there were no wilted lettuce leaves mixed in with "fresh" ones, some restaurants like to hide that fact. Muffins were baked fresh as well.

I will definitely dine here again if I'm back on Kauai. But, I will try the other Duke's on the other islands as well. Gives me an option to eat more. Overall, please give this place a try. Fresh, healthy food with a great view. Good wholesome family place if you have well behaved children. It's also within a walkable distance to some clothing and surf shops if you have to wait and kill some time before your seating for dinner.

Bring your appetite! I loved this place. Great place to dine for sure!

Reviewed July 17, 2014

The cocktails are fun. The salad bar is fine. The atmosphere is what matters most. The food was just fine. Sashimi appetizer was GREAT. All else was average, but I'd go back for sure.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

We have been to Duke's every time we have visited Kauai (6 or 7 times now) and are always pleased. We just visited in July 2014 and again were pleased with the service, food and of course the atmosphere. Located right on the beach in Kalapaki next to the Marriott the views are stunning. The salad bar is always a favorite and has a good selection of muffins and salads. The service was great as usual and you can't beat the yummy Hula Pie for dessert. The fish variations are always good as well as the meats. You just can't go wrong at Duke's!

Reviewed July 16, 2014

We ate at Duke's 3 times during our visit to Kauai. We had great service during all our visits. The food is great and there's enough variety to find something that matches your mood. Don't miss the hula pie! I also really liked the salad bar.