“Great food and view to match” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Duke's Kauai

Duke's Kauai
Reserve with OpenTable
Duke's Kauai is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 116 Restaurants in Lihue
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Soups, Polynesian, Hawaiian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Shoreline Access
Transit: Bus stop on Rice Street
Description: On the sand at Kalapaki Beach, Duke’s is dedicated to legendary surfer Duke Kahanamoku, Hawaii’s Ambassador of Aloha. The restaurant’s open-air design offers stunning, sweeping ocean views while the 30 foot waterfall plunges into a koi pond below that meanders through the tables. Enjoy a leisurely lunch, romantic dinner, or tropical cocktail in a fun, friendly atmosphere.
Tempe, Arizona
“Great food and view to match”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

We walked from our hotel TWICE to enjoy this restaurant. The seafood is fresh and prepared 5 different ways - you choose. Best garlic mashed potatoes I've ever had which surprised me. Meals include a great salad bar and fresh baked muffins. We had a great view of the ocean/beach/mountains from our table. Efficient and friendly service both nights who willingly share their story of why they moved to Kauai. Really good food and reasonable prices.

Visited December 2013

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Texas, United States
“Great Bar/Restaurant/Nice Restaurant Combination”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

As there are little options for dining along Kalapaki beach, thankfully there is Duke's which serves as the all purpose go to for drinks and food. Upstairs is the nice restaurant where the chef prepares the Mahi Mahi perfectly and the setting is more romantic and upscale; downstairs is more casual and perfect for everyday lunch or dinner; and the bar which is staffed by friendly bartenders serving cold Longboards, Mai Tais, or whatever you prefer. We often ate at the bar instead of waiting for a table. Tip: you can order off the upstairs menu, downstairs; just ask.

• Visited December 2013
Bourbonnais, IL
“Lovely setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

Dukes has a bar/casual eating setting downstairs and a restaurant section upstairs that you likely will need a reservation for. I actually preferred the downstairs as we are more casual eaters. The setting is nice with a section up by the gorgeous beach and a section further back by a man made koi pond/waterfall. that is where we sat because there was some live music at the front and it would have been too loud for us. Nachos and mai tai were great. then we went up to the restaurant. Food was good but expensive, as it is all over the island. We sat at the railing (restaraunt is also open to air) and had great view of the bay. This was my favorite place to eat on our vacation to Kauai and Oahu. (there is also a duke's in Waikiki but that one was more crowded/loud/hectic). the view is fantastic. I recommend it and wish I was there now!!

• Visited January 2014
Edina, Minnesota
“Beautiful spot and great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

A gorgeous setting right on the beach with an open airy restaurant and music the night we came in. We arrived right on time for our 530 reservation but saw lots of folks waiting to be seated so they said we would have to wait a bit. Apparently they do this to space out timing for the kitchen. In the end our wait was less than 10 min.

All the entrees come with their large salad bar which features regular lettuce with a variety of toppings plus a Caesar salad and a few kinds of rolls and muffins. Their menu features lots of fresh fish options in the $35-$40 range and they come with mashed potatoes or rice.

I tried the sea bass prepared in the special Duke's style which was a delicate drizzle of basil, lemon and herbs and some diced tomatoes marinated in some balsamic vinegar and oil along with rice as my side. This was one of the best fish dishes I've had in a long time, it just melted in my mouth and I would not hesitate to recommend it. My wife's fish dish coated in Parmesan and sautéed was not nearly as good and a bit over done.

And of course, no meal at dukes would be complete without a slice of Hula pie which must have been nearly a quart of ice cream covered in fudge and macadamia nuts. There were 4 of us sharing it (including 2 college boys) and we didn't finish it!

Definitely put Duke's on your list some night during your visit to Kauai.

Visited January 2014
La Paz BCS
“Afternoon Happy Hour is Da Kine!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

I grew up on Kauai and my family has been in the islands almost 100 years. I used to play as a kid on the beach where Duke's is now located and on the cliff and gardens that used to be called the old Kauai Surf Hotel. I always make a visit to just hang out at Dukes. I don't know what it is about it, but the late afternoon in the downstairs bar for an easy lunch and some live music is a happy place for me. Nothing pretentious. Just pleasant good space to be while visiting Kauai.

• Visited December 2013