“Excellent service and food”
Review of Duke's Kauai

Duke's Kauai
Reserve with OpenTable
Duke's Kauai is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 124 Restaurants in Lihue
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view, Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Shoreline Access
Transit: Bus stop on Rice Street
Description: On the sand at Kalapaki Beach, Duke’s is dedicated to legendary surfer Duke Kahanamoku, Hawaii’s Ambassador of Aloha. The restaurant’s open-air design offers stunning, sweeping ocean views while the 30 foot waterfall plunges into a koi pond below that meanders through the tables. Enjoy a leisurely lunch, romantic dinner, or tropical cocktail in a fun, friendly atmosphere.
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We had a very special and memorable meal at Duke's upstairs restaurant. We arrived early for our reservation planning to sit at the bar, but our table was ready and we were seated immediately. The restaurant was packed, so I was very impressed by the quick service. The wait staff was exceptionally attentive and our waiter was very knowledgeable, personable, and stopped by our table just enough to be helpful yet not overbearing.

The salad bar that accompanies entrees was delicious, and we each had a catch of the day seafood entree. My hawaiian fish was encrusted in macadamia nuts with a beurre blanc sauce and was cooked to perfection. It was some of the best fish I've eaten. The cocktails were excellent and I tried the famous Duke's mai tai.

Our waiter gave us a complimentary hula pie, which was delicious, but left us feeling stuffed and indulgent. Very worth it for a special night out! Thank you Duke's for great service and food.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,246)

Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Needed to kill some time before our flight to Maui, so wandered the shops and then ended up at Duke's since we like the one on Maui. We weren't disappointed. We had the calamari and chicken quesadilla, both of which were very good. Can't beat the atmosphere, other than at Duke's Ka'anapali! Service was fast, friendly and efficient. A fine spot in Lehui.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

This may be the original Duke's but it is not the best of them! We had a reservation and were seated almost immediately upon arrival. A nice rail table with a view of the bay added to the ambiance of the location.

Our waitress had several tables that all came in about the same time. However, there were times when she was no where in sight when we needed things. Drinks were slow in coming, despite the fact we knew what we wanted and were ready when she came to take our order. My Mai-tai was great, as usual. Duke's never varies on this one. It is always excellent. Once our food order was finally taken, we were directed to the salad bar. This was a new one for us. Having been to many Duke's, we'd never encountered a salad bar. It was very good. The one thing about it was that they had shell fish dishes right next to non-fish dishes and serving utensils were being mixed in both. My daughter is highly allergic to shell fish, so it was difficult for her to know what to put on her salad that would not cause a reaction. My son-in-law ordered prime rib that was fantastic! My daughter and I both ordered their parmesan and herb crusted ahi with macadamia nuts and served with panko sauce. We both had asked for additional sauce when we ordered, but there was none when it was served. So we asked again. I was nearly finished with my meal when the extra panko arrived. Ahi is a delicious, mild fish that is usually quite moist. It was somewhat dry. For dessert we had the Hula Pie, complements of Duke's as we were celebrating a birthday. It was the best part of the meal!

I love Duke's and was disappointed in my meal at this location. I will continue to dine at Duke's elsewhere, but will choose another restaurant when in Lihue.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

You need to make reservations since this restaurant is busy. The restaurant is open air and has a good selection of entrees. The steak was great and a trip to the salad bar is included with most entrees. If you want to save $ then order off the bar menu since the dinner menu prices start around $25.00+ and skip the drinks. The service is fast, salad bar is good and the food is great. Would definitely return to Duke's

Reviewed September 3, 2013

One of our favorites in Lihue! Be sure to eat in Duke's Barefoot Bar & Grill. It's right on the beach. The restaurant upstairs is very nice, but the Bar & Grill area is so relaxed and casual.