“Gaylord’s outdid themselves this time!”

Gaylord's Restaurant
Reserve a Table
Tue, 2/25
8:00 PM
Ranked #11 of 127 Restaurants in Lihue
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Nuhou
Description: Gaylord's offers one of Kauai's most beautiful settings for lunch, dinner or Sunday brunch. Located on the ground floor of the historic Kilohana Plantation home, diners are seated around an open-air courtyard with views of the plantation grounds and Mt. Waialeale in the distance. Our kitchen uses only the freshest, seasonal ingredients supporting our local farmers and fishermen. Our 67-acre sustainable farm provides much of the produce and herbs used in our dishes and cocktails. Menu items include starters like fresh Ahi Poke, Organic Greens Salads, Local Fish, Meat and Vegetarian Entrees, and Banana Cream Pie for Dessert! After your meal take a walk around the Kilohana grounds, shop in our assorted boutiques, visit the rum shop or take a ride on the plantation train. Join us at Gaylord's to enjoy the best of what Kauai has to offer in island food and experience. Call for reservations and details on weekly entertainment. Memorable by day...Unforgettable by Night.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We dined there again this January in the midst of our annual visit to Kauai. We’ve had dinner at Gaylord’s many times over the past several years but this may have been the best yet. Service great, wine selections plentiful, and the short ribs were outstanding. Our table also tried the pork offerings with equal satisfaction.
Highly recommend!

1  Thank RobertT4046
Write a reviewReviews (1,705)

Reviewed January 20, 2020

This restaurant was part of our excursion in Kauai and it was a wonderful dinner start to finish. The restaurant was a beautiful plantation estate and the setting was tables inside and out of courtyard. The food was delicious and serving staff excellent. The plantation house resturant has bountiful shops upstairs to shop in and they let you tour the beautiful grounds and entire house with bar area.

1  Thank 961merrileew
Reviewed January 18, 2020 via mobile

We had an excellent lunch buffet. It has so much to choose from and it was all delicious. There are also fun shops to poke around in while your there.

1  Thank Kimberle06
Reviewed January 17, 2020 via mobile

Price for Sunday brunch is now $40 (was $30 2 years ago). In addition, they removed the made-to-order Ahi Benedict and specialty (often Kailua pork) omelette from the menu. They do have an omelette bar, but it is just like everybody else’s omelet bar. They do have lots of other food choices at the buffet, but some choices are a little odd. Despite the wide selection, I don’t think it’s worth $40, particularly with what they’ve eliminated. I doubt we’ll be back.

Reviewed January 15, 2020

We had visited Gaylord's several times previously over a thirty-plus year history of visiting Kauai on pretty much an annual basis. We hadn't been in quite some time, and so we decided to go have lunch there in advance of some rum tasting at the Koloa Rum Company.

The setting is very lovely. There is an elegant serenity to the open-air dining space that I certainly enjoy. Our server was friendly and did her job well. When I go to a place like Gaylord's, my expectations are high. There were multiple ways in which those expectations were not met. These may not matter to you, and if that is the case, you can dismiss this review. However, you may have similar expectations, and so let me tell you what we experienced that fell short of expectations.

Gaylord's has a nice wine list, and I ultimately chose to have a glass of wine with my lunch. It was not my first choice. I would have preferred a nice beer. It was disappointing to learn that all the beers offered were either in a bottle or in a can. Kauai Beer Company makes some seriously good beers. Hukilau Lanai offers one of them, a very nice porter. We have been to the brewery multiple times, and enjoy several of their beers. I would have liked to have seen at least one draft beer, and preferably a locally produced beer that you would not find anywhere other than on Kauai.

I ordered the fish tacos. I don't know if they are routinely made with ahi, but on the day of our visit, they were. The tacos were sizeable, and had quite large pieces of ahi. There were two disappointments. The ahi was well done, verging on overcooked. The second is that the tortillas were flour not corn, and somewhat stiff and stale tasting. Flour tortillas are not hard to make fresh. If you buy them, then they should be steamed to soften them. These tasted like they may have been warmed on a grill, and this made them stiff and chewy. To be blunt, based on food alone, I much prefer the fish taco experience at Al Pastor Tacos. If you are not familiar with Al Pastor Tacos, it is a food truck on the north side of Kapaa. You don't have the elegant dining room, but you get fresh-tasting corn tortillas and ahi that is cooked medium rare. We have tried fish tacos at numerous places on the island and these are our favorites.

My wife had the fish and chips, a dish I had also considered, but had had the day before in Hanalei, and one additional time during the prior ten days. I had a taste of my wife's fish. It was also on the well-done/overcooked end of the spectrum. What I believe is saffron is put into the batter to give it a yellowish tinge. It adds very little to the flavor. I suspect that had turmeric been used instead, it would make no tangible difference to the dish. During this visit to Kauai we had had fish and chips at Kauai Beer Company and at Hanalei Gourmet. If it were a race,I'm sorry to say the offering at Gaylord's would have been a distant third. Others may well love it, but it just did not hit either of our sweet spots.

If you are looking for an elegant dining experience, then Gaylord's fits that bill. Obviously we did not sample their entire menu, and perhaps we just had bad luck or chose badly. Our experience was fine, but not exceptional or stellar in any way, and I was expecting and hoping for something beyond "fine". There are many lovely dining options that are closer to where we stay (JO2 and Hukilau Lanai as prominent examples), and based on this experience it is hard to justify the travel. I would stop by again if I were in the area and hungry, but I wouldn't go out of my way to dine there.

Date of visit: January 2020
gaylordsrestaurant, General Manager at Gaylord's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Aloha Andreas,

While we are glad you enjoyed parts of your dining experience, I apologize that that whole meal was not to your liking. We cannot grow without knowing where improvement is needed so I have brought your recommendations to the chef. Also, I completely agree with you on having some local draft beers available, but since we are a historic landmark there are unfortunately certain changed we are not allowed to make.

We greatly appreciate your feedback and hope to see you in the future.

Mahalo,