“No alcohol is my claim.”
Review of Kalapaki Grill - CLOSED

Kalapaki Grill
Cuisines: American
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Do they put alcohol in the drinks? Not sure really. Was told that they out 1.5 oz per drink but after a weeks stay at the Marriott I would say my lite beer did more damage that the drinks served at this bar.

The food was tasty and hot and the service was with a smile.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

This is the pool side restaurant for the Marriott and they also handle the pool side service.

That said, I am disappointed in three aspects, which explains my rating. First, there is a lack of variety or depth on the menu. Yes, one should not expect anything extensive given this is a pool side hut. Still, why is there no offering of some simple things prepared on a grill, like grilled cheese? They have the word "grill" in their title, after all. Second, anything they have with cold cuts should be avoided. I say this with fair warning as their cold cuts are not fresh. It is not that they went bad or tasted bad, it is just that given the price, something a bit fresher than what they are serving should be expected. Finally, don't expect friendly service. The wait staff is all very young and seems to be just doing their job. It is not bad service, just not very engaging. I guess that would be fine if one was there on a business lunch, but most people are here on vacation and distracted service just seems to detract a bit.

Overall, given the pricing of this establishment and given the higher expectations one would have staying at what is otherwise a very good hotel, I would say this place could stand to have some improvement.

My recommendation is to eat lunch at Duke's - the downstairs part. While I didn't rave about the upstairs part in my review, I will rave about the downstairs part. It is fun, the wait staff is engaging, their menu is better, the setting is nicer and the food is fair superior.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stopped here on the way to the airport. We wanted a decent quick meals and instead we got the best meal of the trip so far!!!!

I had a Volcano Burger and to say the least I was fabulous. My wife had California Chicken Sandwich and she raved about how fantastic it was. My daughter, brother, and sister in law all had chicken sandwiches that they said tasted even better than they looked, and they looked great!

The seating is on a covered balcony with a view toward the harbor. Our waitress was super sweet and very attentive.

If we had known about this place we would have been here earlier in the week, and probably returned. This place is five stars all around!

Reviewed July 12, 2012

We had lunch here twice. The menu is small, but there's a decent variety of food. Just know that the meal is the sandwich, a few carrot and celery sticks, and a bag of chips, so if you're very hungry, this might not be the place for you. The kalua pork sandwich was very good, with extra bbq sauce. All the food was good, just seemed to be a bit over-priced; though it was pool side, so what do you expect. You could eat on your lounge chair or sit at one of their umbrella-covered tables. Drinks were very expensive considering they were in a plastic cup and filled with ice. My husband and I each received a complimentary drink though, through the hotel.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

If you want to watch the game with a burger and fries, this is an OK place for it. Their specialty - fish tacos - were pretty good. But it wasn't amazing or particularly cheap.