“Great Hole in the Wall”

Sushi Katsu
Ranked #87 of 125 Restaurants in Lihue
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This place is a local Asian hangout and it isn't pretty! On that note, the very limited sushi menu is unbelievable FRESH! If you want fresh sashimi come here. There isn't a big selection but what they have is very fresh. I would try it but just remember it is like a cheap little diner atmosphere.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Ate here last week on my trip to Kauai. It seemed very busy and had a decent urbanspoon rating so we gave it a try. Sat at the bar and was disappointing to find there were no specialty cocktails (I mean when in Hawaii why not Tiki) and a fairly bland bored response from the bartender when asked what her favorite thing to make was "I have sake" was all we got. Also when my partner spilled his soba noodles dressing because he poured and didn't dip we got a very snide eyeroll from the waitress that was helping the bartender. Had the Steak and Salmon bento box, salmon was great, steak was very chewy and not trimmed the best. Wouldn't go again, fun atmosphere does not make up for lackluster attitude of the staff we encountered.

Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

We found the restaurant on yelp. The food was fresh and tasty. Make reservations and arrive early. We had the sushi sashimi special, spicy ahi roll, edamame, and udon noodles.

1  Thank DAG_from_PA
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is the same restaurant as the Tip Top Cafe, only add a few Japanese screens between the tables and some bad sushi. There was not much variety on the menu, and the sushi we had did not taste particularly fresh. Honestly, I've had better sushi from a Midwestern grocery store deli. The miso was good, the teriyaki chicken was ok, and our waitress was very nice, but I'll check this one off my list and probably not be back.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Don’t be distracted by the location of this place, the food is really amazing. My wife and I have spent time in Japan and this is the real deal. The prices were very reasonable and the service was very friendly.

1  Thank Mlierley