“Clean and Comfortable Resort”

Banyan Harbor Resort
Reno
“Clean and Comfortable Resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2009

Spent 9 days at the resort in early January 2009. Stayed in two different condos, one was timeshare (Unit I-109) and the other was a vacation rental (H-101). Both were comfortable, clean units with harbor view. Kitchen well stocked with pots, pans, plates and utensils. Had a problem with a coffeemaker that had a new unit at the condo within 15 min. and a running toilet that a maintenance man was at the door in less than 30 min. Timeshare unit was a two story unit with 2 bedrooms and full bath upstairs and living/dining/kitchen area with 1/2 bath downstairs + covered parking below. Vacation rental unit was single story 2 bed/2 bath. No bugs or lizards/geckos (exterminator came through for monthly service while we were there) anywhere in sight, lots of chickens though. Also didn't run into any 1970 decore in either unit.
Check in was a breeze and front office staff were polite and very helpful. Make sure if you need coolers, beach chairs, snorkel equipment, noodles or beach mats to ask the office as they have a closet full of goodies available for check out that others have left behind. . Very helpful! Pool area was small but nice and clean with a good view of harbor and surf cove. Resort is built on a slight hillside so there is some up and downs plus there can be stairs involved depending on the unit. There are lower units with no stairs necessary I think. Shopping, restaurants and groceries are close by. Overall had a great time, 4 wheel dr. jeep we rented had us rockin' on some back country roads that were muddy and good time! Aloha and mahalo to the Banyon Harbor staff.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness and helpful staff.
  • Disliked — No Wi-Fi/Wireless Internet except at office area. No work out room or area.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank GolfSuper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Tracy, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2008

I am here and surprised! After reading a recent review about Banyan Harbor, I had doubts about my choice to stay at Banyan Harbor Resort on Kauai.

I talked with Lyle Otsuka, Outriggers resident manager of the Banyan Harbor time share operation about a negative review I read on this web site.

Lyle explained that many of the Town Home properties at Banyan Harbor are privately owned and not under the management of the Outrigger operation. He assured me that my ownership in a Banyan Harbor unit, under the management of Outrigger would afford me a pleasant stay in an affordable Kauai resort.

And WOW! What a pleasant surprise! The units are cute, roomy, comfy, clean and inviting. The staff is fabulous-- and in particular Pamela, the activity director.

My recommendation: Stay at Banyan Harbor! Make this your head quarters for the exploration of the incredible island of Kauai. Banyan Harbor, managed by Outrigger is an affordable, sweet and comfortable resort, nestled in Nawiliwili Harbor on the island of Kauai. Service is GREAT! I'll be back,,,

Marie from Tracy, CA

• Liked — Great value, reasonable price, good Aloha
  • Disliked — Internet available but not in the rooms
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
6 Thank travelinmaminTracyCA
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2008

When we read the reviews on the Banyan Resort, we didn't know what to expect and I almost cancelled. However, I am one of those who says, "que sera, sera." So off we went to Kauai.

The front desk did not have good reviews either, specially about Ginger. We found Ginger to be very accommodating and friendly, so with the other staff. You have to learn to treat people nicely.

We are budget travellers and have travelled to many countries. We have stayed at B&B's, hotels and condos. We consider the Banyan Resort in the upper half compared to other places we've stayed. It is clean and has everything you need in a condo. The grounds are well kept. It is centrally located on the island and very close to the popular shopping centers. While on vacation, we need a safe place to sleep, take a shower and rest. We mostly cook, for healthy food and to save money. All that can be done in the condo. The lizards are NOT pests because they eat pests.

Also available at the Banyan resort are: towels, mats, chairs, snorkels and fins, boogie boards, and some coolers. All you need to do is sign them out.

If you have unlimited money to spend and love to be pampered, don't stay in these condos.

We went on the helicoper ride, ATV, boat ride, and kayak tours. We did a lot of snorkeling on our own (no tours). We had a lot of fun. We also did the Luau (supposedly the best on the isalnd). We went to the one at the Polynesian Cultural Center in Oahu years ago, so the Luau in Kauai was a bit disappointing.

We would stay at the Banyan Resort again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — can't think of any
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank baphantom2
kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2008

My family, including a 1, 5, and 7-year old, and a brother and sister-in-law recently shared a condo here.

The first condo we were offered was outrageous: decor from the 70s (and not in a groovy way), an air conditioning unit in the living room so loud it sounded like an airplane taking off, and if it was on, you couldn't hear the tv at its loudest; one of the bed mattresses was broken and caved in on one side, no a/c in either bedroom and the bedroom ceiling fans had two settings: "off" and "barely moving." Wish I'd gotten the owner's name or room # so I could include it, but we didn't stay long enough for that. Apparently, our travel agent said we wanted an ocean-view room (we saw a faint strip of blue between warehouses). Don't request ocean view here.

At our request, the staff moved us to another 2-bed, 2-bath condo (b-14) which was far more updated (think, early 1990s - laminate countertop, vinyl flooring, berber carpet, and hallelujah, newer a/c units in living room and both bedrooms). Grossly mismatched furniture was serviceable.

The owner inhabitants above us were very nice, but LOUD, especially from 5:30 a.m. on, which I suppose is when they get up to go to work, get ready for school, etc.

This is an older but fairly clean place. The housekeeping staff was very nice and polite. It works great if it's just a home base between trips to the beach, hiking, etc., My sister stayed there several times and apparently, this is where locals put their visiting relatives up for vacations, so that should tell you it's affordable, but don't expect "resort" or even "timeshare" conditions.

Just a few asides: my credit card key had to be reprogrammed 3 times during our 10-day stay, which was inconvenient, especially when it wasn't discovered until office hours were over. Also, cell-phone reception can be lousy here, depending on your carrier, and don't use the room phone - even local calls will cost $1.50 (I think) per call. Finally, on our last day I noticed a spot on the carpet I assumed my kids had made, so I cleaned it very carefully. Shouldn't have; the rest of the carpet was black in comparison afterwards. I'm not usually a germ freak, but that was pretty bad.

Moral of the story: families with kids on budget will probably benefit from these older units since you don't really worry about damaging anything, and the location is central with pleasant extras (a/c is not standard on the island). But if you can swing the extra $60-100/night, stay somewhere else.

• Liked — "best" is too strong a word
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank KansasFamilytripper
Home in WV,SC,TN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

Prior to my stay at Banyan Harbor Resort I had stayed at three other hotels in Hawaii, and this one is by far the worst. The room's decor reminded me of an early 1990 beach house. The air conditioning units in every room was on timers, which would kick off in the middle of the night. To top it all off the room was a breeding ground for lizzards. The first one was spotted in the down stairs bathroom. The first sighting occured after the front desk had closed, so I was forced to wait untill morning to report the zoo breeding in my room. The next morning a much larger lizzard was found crawling up the stove. I promptly went to the front desk to report my findings. The response of the clerk was, "we don't know how they get in, but they do eat all of the bugs." I went on my way to escape from the zoo to do sight seeing. I returned back that evening to discover lizzards outside of my door. When I approached they ran underneath of the door into my room. By this point my family was disgusted with the property, and decided it was in out best interest to seek other accomadations. The lizzard won! I highly reccomend the Hilton Kauai Beach Resort, it is much better than this resort.

• Liked — Checking out early
  • Disliked — Lizzards
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank zachmb
Hawaii
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2008

My husband and I stayed in a 2 bedroom unit that we shared with our friends. The area was nice, swimming pool ok but not large. The Barbeque grills were new so that was a plus. I was surprised to see a tennis court.

Ok now for the downside...our room wasn't all that. The lighting was very dim throughout the entire unit except for the room nearest the balcony. I thought something was going to crawl out of nowhere. Overall the furniture was old and mismatched. It's like who ever owned the unit took what ever hotel furniture he/she could find and put it in there. The bed nearest the hill/backside was dark bathtub was old (someone please change the shower head). A/C was filthy my husband had to wash out the filter plus it was loud. The bed was old I actually brought my own blanket...thank goodness...I usually do that when going to old hotels. I don't though for nice fancy hotels I was bummed we didn't book a room on our own at the Marriot. As for our friends room they didn't have A/C in there room so they told us how hot it was.

I do however have good news the room we stayed in was an older unit that was not renovated. Why? I don't know. The other units that our other friends stayed in were renovated and very clean. I was shocked. So most important if you do decide on staying there ask for a newly renovated unit. I heard that each unit is owned by different owners.

Now if I did have a nice renovated room then I would rate this place as Average. I think it be a nice for families but not a couple on their honeymoon.

• Liked — Barbeque Area
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed May 2008
2 Thank TheRealReview
Maui
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2008

We stayed at the Banyan Harbor for 3 nights in May 2008. The location of the resort was great. Only minutes from the mall, restaurants and golf courses. On the other hand our room needed to be renovated. Our A/C in our bedroom was so noisy that we had to turn it off when we went to sleep. Our bed had to be at least 10 years old and had a big sink hole in the middle of it.

I can't really give the entire resort a bad rating because our friends who also stayed here had a recently renovated room which was really clean with new appliances and furniture.

So what it really comes down to is the luck of the draw on which room your gonna get. Either a old room that needs work or a new room that's clean and has new furniture. So if your planning to stay here, try asking for a recenly renovated room, you just might get it. Aloha

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank paka808
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
Plantation Hale Suites
The Kauai Inn
The Kauai Inn
#6 of 11 in Lihue

Been to Banyan Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!