“Tropical Hawaiian Paradise”
Review of Kauai Beach Resort

Kauai Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Reviewed September 16, 2010

Perfect location on the East side of Kauai. Close to numerous restaurants, stores and shops. Also, perfect location for driving to other points of the Island. The grounds inside and out were very well maintained and clean. The whole place gives you the smell and feel of Hawaii. Staff were very helpful and curtious. Spent 7 nights and will be back !

1  Thank BelmontShoreFritz
Write a ReviewReviews (2,422)

Reviewed September 16, 2010

Formerly a Hilton property--- KBR provided us an excellent value over the numerous resorts we researched at 50-100% higher rates. This is a well managed and clean resort with all the amenities. The King bed and bedding in our pool view room was awesome and very comfortable. The staff, services, food, drinks ... were all excellent. Conveniently located near the airport (no noise noted) with easy access to shopping and numerous local restaurants. The KBR will also package a Dollar rental car which then provides you FREE KBR parking and valet services. The internet room connection was pricey so we opt'd for the FREE Wi-Fi service in the lobby near Shutters Bar & Grill. The beach area is somewhat limited for swimming but we did savor our early evening / sunrise walks. Besides... we make good use of the four swimming pools and spas while soaking up the rays! No doubt we would go here again .... suggest you GO FOR IT ... Bob & Lissa Cypress, TX PS: Also check out WingsOverKauai.com !!!!!

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob_Lissa
Reviewed September 15, 2010

I will start off by saying that this is a great hotel and I would and will definitely return in the future. The value of what we got for what we paid is probably the best I have ever received, not to mention it is Hawaii. This is a huge resort covering several acres on the beach of the east side of Kauai, 3 miles from airport. As you drive in, you immediately notice that this is a beautiful location and the grounds are nicely maintained.

There are many more things that I like about this resort and I will get to that, but I must start with one complaint chronologically because it occurred when I arrived. After a long flight, I arrived with wife and 5 year old. I had already researched that self parking was the same price as valet, and we needed help with our bags, so I opted for valet. We pulled in at 6 pm on a Thursday, so it was not busy. That is why I was surprised that there was no one to greet us at valet.

I figured that the valet/bellman would come out at some point, but no such luck. I am not above carrying my own luggage, but we had 10 days worth of luggage and a 5 year old in tow and were tired from traveling. We unloaded our own luggage, hauled it to the front counter and checked in. When the desk clerk asked if I was valet parking, I told her I intended to, but no one was at valet. She immediately called valet on the radio. Amazingly, the valet had been standing at the front door the whole time chatting with some guests. Although I had noticed him as we were dragging our luggage past him, I assumed he was the concierge or other host because I never would have imagined the valet/bellman would have watched us park and carry our own luggage in without offering to help. The valet walked over just a few steps to the counter and now asked if we needed help. I told him "no thanks."

I immediately got over the valet incident when I saw the lobby, lounge and our room. This place is really nicely decorated and has an old Hawaiian feel, but with modern amenities. The live entertainment every night was remarkably good and improved the ambiance of the common areas tenfold.

Even though we paid for a garden view, we had a lanai that had more than a partial ocean view. Although it overlooked a parking lot, we were surprised and pleased that we could see the crashing waves from our bed. The rooms are decorated and appointed very nicely with tile though out the entry and bathroom. The wood shutter doors are a very unique and surely high end feature. There are many other examples of elaborate wood and other decorations at this hotel that are only found at five star hotels or in hotels like this one that was designed back in the day when these details were appreciated. Despite the old Hawaiian charm, the hotel does not feel dated.

The pool area is almost as good as it gets. The pool area is very large with a volleyball net, waterslide, and waterfalls. But don't bother waiting for food or drink service, it doesnt come around much. But the bar is nearby with food and drink menu for self-service.

Shutters lounge has great live entertainment in the evenings and pupus. Happy hour 4 to 6. Pizzas are large enough to feed 3 or 4 people.

The Nauapaka restaurant has excellent breakfast. Omelets are delicious starting at $10. Full buffet $20. We didn't have dinner here but the menu looked wonderful and the dining room was full of people that were enjoying dinners that smelled wonderful. Filet mignon with salad $29.

On our second night, we returned from dinner on a Friday at 9:00 pm. Again, no valet. We waited 5 minutes while other cars also pulled up. No valet. I walked to the front desk and asked about valet. The desk clerk politely said, "I'll take your keys."

Again, my experience with the vanishing valet was quickly forgotten as we sat in the open-air lobby enjoying the cool night breeze and listening to another great singer/musician in the lounge.

One last note regarding the service at this hotel and others in Hawaii. I have read other reviews and agree that there is a cultural difference in the expectation of what is efficient service. The attitude in Hawaii is very relaxed and they don't subscribe to the theory that faster is better. The valets don't run for the cars, the servers want you to take your time and enjoy the view. It is a "no worries" attitude throughout the islands.

Having this in mind, maybe my expectation for prompt service is too high for this Garden Isle. How much of a hurry can I be in? I am on vacation. So relax, slow down, and enjoy the wait. You're in Hawaii!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank jcrabster
Reviewed September 14, 2010

Spent 3 nights in this hotel. Lovely setting, nice room overlooking pools with ocean views. Very relaxing and comfortable environment. Facilities were spotless and perfectly maintained.
Only negatives - couldnt turn off in room air conditioner which for us becomes annoying, the Resort's location in relation to outside restaurants etc. It's about a 10 minute drive to the nearest shopping / restaurants (too far to walk), however, in saying that, we did dine at the Resort for our breakfast and one evening meal all of which were very nice and it's position on the coast, it seemed windy and the beach was continually blown out - I'm sure that must be a seasonal thing though.
Definately recommend this pretty resort.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LouiseMaree
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I booked an ocean view room at this resort for our honeymoon and 1st trip to Hawaii. When initially looking at the prices of hotels it seemed like there was no middle ground. Rooms were either less than $200 (which seemed like a good deal for Hawaii) or well over $350. After reading many good reviews and reviewing their website extensively, I was sure we would really enjoy our stay at the Kauai Beach Resort. Unfortunately, once we arrived we realized the pictures on the website were shot by professionals using good lighting and did not portray accurately the condition of the hotel. And we were also surprised with all the positive feedback it received from other travelers recommending it for couples.

Pros: Excellent price for room with ocean view room with king bed, nice pool area with multiple pools, inviting front lobby/entry way, good price on Happy Hour drinks

Cons: Outdated rooms with peeling wallpaper and rust on all metal surfaces, ocean view largely blocked by the ocean front rooms, very audible noises from neighbors on each side of us (we could hear them cheering for football games at 8:00am), trash on the beach area, poor cleanliness in bathroom (trash from previous guest was not removed and hair on the floor).

Overall, if you are looking for a place to rest your head as you venture out to enjoy beautiful Kauai then this hotel might offer you a good deal at the right price. If you are a couple looking for a little something special and some added romance I would choose elsewhere. We decided to cancel the remainder of our reservation after one night which cost us $50 to do so but were much happier elsewhere.

2  Thank JKLawson
Reviewed September 13, 2010

After reading some of the reviews, I was a bit nervous about staying at Kauai Beach Resort. However, for the price, I thought some reviewers possibly had set their expecations way too high. Fortunately, I set my expectations very low. For the price, this is not a 5-star resort nor was I expecting such treatment... but I was wrong!

Clearly, this is NOT a 5-star resort but I had a 5-star experience. I've stayed at many hotels, from boutique and trendy, to large and annoying, to 5-star and white linen table cloth service, to BandB and quaint. Kauai Beach Resort is a SOLID 3 1/2 star resort which should be used as a base for those who want a CLEAN hotel and friendly service. Yes, there are many things Aqua can improve but mostly it is asthetics. The staff is probably the most friendly I have ever encountered, they are fast, efficient and do it all with a smile.

We booked a packaged deal on the hotel website which included an ocean front room, car rental and parking for 3 nights - in total our final bill was less than $800 and that included drinks and food by the pool, breakfast and in-room internet access.

The room was a decent size, very clean, nothing SPECIAL but by no means horrendous, the bathroom was updated and the bed was very comfortable. We got massages on-site after a long day on the Napali Coast - it was no frills, don't expect a resort type spa experience, but it got the job done. We used the Expedia concierge service to book our Napali Coast tour and we couldn't have been more satisfied with the service and our day excursion. I can say, we used the services to the hilt and were pleased with everything.

The hotel is just over a mile from the airport, so it is very convienent. Yes, it is a bit far from Princeville and Hanalai but, at the most, it took us 45 minutes to drive there. We even went to dinner late at night in Hanalei. However, Kapaa is just about a 5 minute drive and there are a slew of restaurants: we enjoyed Monico's (okay Mexican food, we're from L.A., so it's hard to impress us but it's okay and a great bartendar) and Brick Oven Pizza is really good pizza, never thought I'd say that for a pizza joint in Hawaii but it's true (ask for the crust to be slightly burned).

For the price, we didn't expect a lot but we actually got a lot in return. We would absolutely stay here again.

2  Thank Dewtrell
Reviewed August 30, 2010

My husband and I just spent 8 nights at the Kauai Beach Resort. Having stayed at many 5-star resorts, we have high expectations. This was a stunning resort in an exquisite setting. Quieter than most other resorts and hotels we visited while on the island, it was our favorate. It has beautiful swimming pools and is set on a stunning beach (not recommended for swimming as tides are strong) but which is a paradise to go for long walks on. Location of pools to rooms is very handyy for parents keeping a close eye on their kids and there is a sandy wading pool for very litle ones. We upgraded to an ocean view and were in Heaven. Friendly staff, very comfy beds, clean and pretty rooms. Everything and more than we could want. Breakfast and dinner buffets are awesome and well priced. Lovely restaurant with beautiful views of the gardens, pool and beach. Highly recommended. We would return in a minute.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank daisygirl0
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu, Autograph Collection
Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club
17 mi away
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Kaua'i Marriott Resort

Been to Kauai Beach Resort? Share your experiences!