“Value for the money”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Bedford
“Value for the money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

Nice hotel for the money; you get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (690)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Gainesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2010

My wife and I stayed for ten days for our 30th wedding anniversary. We had a room on the 5th floor with a great view. The hotel has a great staff in all departments. The grounds, the pools and the rooms were all well maintained. There was nightly live music that I really enjoyed. The hotel restaurant was also excellent, great salad bar. I wish I could plan another trip back.

1 Thank jbliss
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2010

I will start with the positive. As others have mentioned, if you want to visit both the North and South shores, the location can't be beat. The hotel is very nicely decorated, especially the lobby area, and the housekeeping keeps all areas of the hotel impeccably clean. It also seems so safe that I felt ok leaving my ipod, etc out on the table while we were gone for the day.

There are some negatives that you should be aware of, however, if you choose to book this hotel. First of all, the walls are really thin. You can hear everything that people say in the hallway and nearby rooms, and people in the hallway can hear everything you say. The sliding-style bathroom door is constructed in such a way that it leaves a lot of space around it, not making it very private or sound-proof, and there is no vent in the bathroom, either ( buy air freshener) . The lock to the bathroom door also does not function. Finally, the beds are pretty uncomfortable, and the pillows aren't the best, either.

If you can get a good deal on this hotel and you are not on your honeymoon, I would go for it. Otherwise, you might consider other properties. I recommend with reservations.

4 Thank esp05
Spokane Valley, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

PROS: Beautiful, clean former Hilton property. Amazing beach that stretches for miles! Great for the picture perfect romantic walk on the beach. Cool, real sand pool in between the bar and the beach. Great service and staff were friendly and helpful. Our dinner waitress even gave us suggestions for great local places to eat breakfast and get sushi. Centrally located to everything you want to do on the island, and five minutes from airport - but you can't hear the planes.
CONS: Caveat: I am cheap, but I am willing to pay for quality with value. These things reduced my perceived value:
Don't get me started on the $13/day for valet or self-parking. I have no problem paying if I want valet parking, but self-parking? Grrrr. Charge me $13 more for my room and I would never know it, but don't give me a hidden fee that my travel agent didn’t know or tell me about. It is basically extortion; this is not in a big city where you expect parking to pay for parking at a premium. This resort is in the middle of fields surrounded by nothing and there is tons of parking, but nowhere else to park off-site. If you don’t want to pay you have no other choice but to park on the shoulder of the highway and hike in 400 yards, and then you would probably get a parking ticket! Congratulations, you just pissed me off. Now I have to try not to think about this and let it get to me every day of my vacation.
The $1/minute business center could not print a 12 page PDF from my laptop, so I had to call the help-desk to get my money refunded.
Confiscatory pricing on drinks and shopping. $11 signature cocktails. $32 for a baseball cap seems a bit much, even if it is Tommy Bahama. The room only has a tiny fridge and no microwave. After spending a week on Maui in a nice condo with a full kitchen for the same price / night it was hard to adjust.
BOTTOM LINE: I would rather stay at a condo in Wailua or Hanalei Bay. If you want the resort experience, this is a great place to chillax.

4 Thank _J_D_509
Menomonie, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights, it was our first time in Kauai. We choose this hotel based on the location (east side a good in between area for exploration) and because it had a airport shuttle (returned rental early to save some money). Also there was a good deal on the website at the time $99 with a free ocean view upgrade. We arrived around 9:30-9:45 am and did not expect our room to be ready (it wasn't), we just wanted to drop off our bags and explore. Two other groups from our plane were staying there too and got there before us so we had a bit of a wait at the front desk (no biggie). The lady at the front desk was very friendly and so were the bell and valet staff, this was true through out our stay.
Room:
So we returned at about 5pm and our room was ready. We lugged our stuff to the room, didn't seem like the bell service delivered. As we walked to our room in building four there was a hula show at the pool. Our room did have a great view of the ocean and the pools. It was fairly big and clean. We never had a problem with the cleaniness of the room or the resort. We always had plenty of towels and soap.
Parking/Shuttle:
We did valet most of the time, since it was the same price. There is a $12 or $13 service fee each night that covers parking valet or self. We di self park sometimes and it wasn't a bad walk. Oh, the drive into the resort is nice, a tunnel of trees. The valet never took that long. There were a couple special events while we were there we weren't bothered by any noise, but we made sure we used valet then (so parking was their problem!). The night before we left we returned our rental car (to save on the resort fee and car rental fee) and there is a service phone at the airport to call the hotel and the shuttle wait was about 15 minutes (the hotel is about 5 minutes away).
Pool/Beach
The beach is now swimmable (we knew that coming in so we weren't disappointed), however it is a nice walking beach with soft sand. Not much is around the resort so it had some good photo opps. The pools were lovely, and my husband liked the slide. The little sand pool with "beach" is nice but the sand is coarse there. The hot tubs were nice too. The hotel has nice beach towels for you to use, you can get them from the front desk or the pool desk, make sure you either get your towel card back or another towel. You need to turn in the cards back in at check-out or pay $25 per towel.
Food/Lounge:
We ate at the hotel once (although we thought about eating there more). The food wasn't too high priced, hotel prices, but it was incredibly good. At dinner there was a gresat salad bar included in the meal (as many trips as you wanted), and the portions were large. Our service that night was a little slow but our server was friendly and said they were understaffed that night (not a big deal). The lounge was nice and had music nightly. The bar typically had a special daily. There was a beach bar that served food (didn't eat it) and looked out over the ocean. They made a great lava flow! There isn't any restaurant within walking distance to the resort but a quick drive takes you too Lihue or Kapaa with many options, and Poipu is about 20 minutes away. We enjoyed Bobby V's (Kapaa), Duke's (Lihue), and Roy's in Poipu for dinner. Breakfast we ate at McDonald's (spam mcmuffin) and the Tip Top Cafe (Lihue) or skipped breakfast. Lunches were at Bubba Burger (Hanalei), Deli & Bread Connection (lihue), Puka Dog (poipu), L&L BBQ (Waimea).
Other Thoughts:
To save on baggage fees we did laundry here and the cost was $1 for 45 minutes of dryer time, and $1.50 for a load in the washing machine. There were four washers and four dryers. The resort was very quiet and peaceful overall. A little windy on the east shore and got a little chilly at night. I found a lot of people's complaints unfounded for me. The staff was nice, resort was clean, and grounds looked great. And I felt safe here (there is a safe in the room). There is a small buisness center and a gift shop that had decent prices.
I was not expecting much based on the reviews and I wasn't expecting a 5 star deluxe resort based on price but what I experienced was definately 4 star awesome! I would highly recommend this resort and wouldn't hesitate to book this resort again. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

5 Thank ajrwdwgirl
Kyiv
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2010

It was our honeymoon and we stayed there just for 3 nights and then went to Maui.
Hotel is amazing! We had ocean view room. So big and very good planned condo we hadn't ever!
It is so nice that I haven't words! Very great personal, very clean rooms, very beautiful location and a lot of beautiful places near!
It is the best hotel I've ever been in my life.

We are from Ukraine and have very different food and for us here was just one minus. They don't have any delicious restaurant near :(
Just for breakfasts there is some very delicious cafe in shopping center and thats it! We couldn't find any other for lunch and dinner :( And the restaurant that in the hotel is not taste for us. We didn't like their food :(
But you can make food for yourself in your condo! So this minus is too small for paying attention!

I recommend this hotel to all couples and all families!

3 Thank JaneTarasova
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2010

We just returned from a 10 day stay at this resort and really enjoyed ourselves. We were automatically upgraded to a pool/ocean view which is a must. The staff was very friendly, the on-site restaurants served delicious food and we enjoyed the "extras"...lei-making demonstrations, hula dance shows, and the nightly showcase of musical talent in the lounge. It is a nice place, nothing over the top extravagant but a beautiful place to stay. It is very close to the airport but very quiet. Just a recommendation...if you want those beautiful Hawaiian sunsets, you won't see them on this side of the island. However, it is a good in-between location for all major points on the island.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Kauai Beach Resort? Share your experiences!