“Loved our stay”
Review of Kauai Beach Resort

Kauai Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This very friendly place was our last four days on Kauai after having rented a condo for the early segment. The folks out front were very friendly and let us leave our car at the door while we hauled our luggage in. They offered to bell it in but we were in a hurry..and cheap :-). I mention this all because many places turn their noses up like you are a low-life if you decide to carry your own bags. These nice guys just smiled & pointed us toward check-in.

The check-in was smooth, extremely friendly and they upgraded our room to a pool view from our basic room. Very nice as you can see from the photos posted. The room was clean and everything was classy and comfortable. The fridge was critical to have since we had to store sandwiches and drinks for our daily exploring/hikes.

There was live music each evening in the lobby bar/cafe and a gas fire pit by the pool so the place always felt alive. While the beautiful beach right out front was not good for swimming, you could make a nice (and sizable) walk down the beach north to Lydgate beach.

I just really can't think if a thing to complain about. At least not that was their fault. We had quite a bit of cloudiness and rain during our stay but I think those are givens with the East shore in March on Kauai. OK, the checkout was also a little slow with only 2 folks on duty but if lean staffing means we can get the great discount room rate we did, then lean staffing is something that works for me. And they were very apologetic about the wait.

We would most certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ItsTheView
GeneralManager808, Manager at Kauai Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Aloha and thank you for your review of your recent visit to the Kauai Beach Resort. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time here and that you found the accommodations and facilities comfortable and clean. We appreciate your kind comments on our staff and the excellent service they provided you. We will be happy to share your feedback with them. We look forward to having the pleasure of your return visit to the beautiful Garden Island. Mahalo!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,422)

Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is a charming, low-key resort that ticks all the boxes in terms of location, service and facilities. The staff in all areas are super friendly and helpful and if something's not right they will sort it out for you immediately. Room was very clean, just the right size and the view over the pool area to the ocean was a lovely sight to wake up to each morning. I ate at the Naupaka Terrace for breakfast and dinner - very good food and excellent service - and the Driftwood Bar & Grille, which could just have the best burger on Kauai. You can rent a car direct from the front desk and then the whole island is just a right turn or left turn away. The resort is ideally located to see everything easily, from spectacular waterfalls close by, to the beaches of Poi'pu on the south shore, or the breathtaking lush coastline of the north shore near Princeville and Hanalei Bay. If you decide to take a helicopter ride to see the Na Pali coast, the heliport is also very close by. I would definitely return to this resort on my next visit to this beautiful island.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank debkrug

Aloha and thank you for your review of your recent visit to the Kauai Beach Resort. We are delighted that you found our resort to be in an ideal location to all island activities and that our accommodations were comfortable and clean. We also appreciate your kind comments on our staff and the excellent service that they provided you. We hope to have the pleasure of your return visit before too long. Mahalo!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here during our week in Kauai. I chose the property because of it's convenient location to all the attractions to the South and to the North. I knew that we were going to be doing a lot of exploring on the island and this location was perfect. The staff were very nice and accommodating. We arrived at the resort a couple of hours before check in time and our room wasn't ready yet. I assumed that we would just change into our swimsuits and enjoy the pool before we could get into our room, but they were able to get us into a room without me having to ask. The view from the room wasn't the best. It had a partial view of the ocean and the parking area for the staff. The dumpster was located here which wasn't expected, but on the plus side it's hard to complain when you're in Kauai. I mean things can be a lot worse right?! We didn't plan on sitting out on the lanai and taking in the views from the room. Most of our time was spent out on the beaches and exploring the island. We ate at the resort a few times, mostly in the casual fare restaurant. The food was ok. I ordered the crab cakes one night which were ok. I could tell they were frozen and not fresh. My daughter ordered the kids pizza and it was very good. We came back and ordered the large pizza one night. It's a flatbread pizza with lots of flavor and steaming hot. The grounds were nicely kept and the pool area was nice. It was a little colder than I expected so we didn't spend a lot of time in the pool. There were four pools to choose from with one being a lagoon style pool with a sand bottom. It wasn't too crowded and finding a table and chairs by the pool was fairly easy. If you're a family looking to find a beach to play on, don't bother using the beach at the resort. It's not kid or adult friendly because of the coral and it's on the windward side of the island. Take a trip down to Po'ipu or up to the north end instead. The hotel was very comfortable and wasn't too pretentious. It's not the Grand Hyatt but I would stay here again because of the location and the friendly staff.

Room Tip: I would suggest getting a room facing the pool if you're concerned about the view from the room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManager808, Manager at Kauai Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Aloha and thank you for your review of the Kauai Beach Resort. We are pleased that you found our resort to be in a very convenient location and you enjoyed our facilities. We also appreciate your kind comments on our staff and the excellent service that they provided to you and your family. Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of your return visit in the not too distant future. Mahalo!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed here during the peak whale season and the resort was completely booked. We stayed in building 4 on the second floor where we could watch the whales jumping right from our lanai. We also could watch the sunrise each day from our room. We never had a problem getting a chair by the pool or great service by the girls and guys who take your orders for food and drink by the pool and at the bar.
The resort is gorgeous and very well maintained. They were painting one of the buildings and you would have never known it. All the employees were extremely friendly and willing to help with anything you might need.
The food at the restaurants was very good and pricing was pretty standard for Hawaii. My daughter spent a day at the spa and said it was wonderful. She and I both got our hair done by Leoni and were very pleased.
The location is central so it allows you to see the whole island very conveniently. I would definitely get a rental car because Kauai is so beautiful you don't want to miss a thing. They do have shuttles that will take you to the local areas or you can rent a car for a day right at the front desk.
The beach is not really for swimming this time of year but great for long walks or just hanging out. I miss the wonderful weather but also the sound of the waves. We are already making plans to go back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ArkansasRazorbackfan

Aloha and thank you for your review of the Kauai Beach Resort. We are delighted that you found our resort to beautiful an of excellent value. We also appreciate your kind comments on our staff and the excellent service "with aloha" that they provided you. We are in the completion stage of some of the construction projects that you mentioned and will be enhancing that area with new landscaping. We hope to have the pleasure of your return visit to Kauai before too long. Mahalo!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

First of all everyone from the front desk clerk, servers at the lounge and bar tenders at the pool bar had outstanding customer service! Kudos to this resort for making the customer a priority! The rooms were nice, clean and housekeeping was superb. The pool area was absolutely beautiful, unfortunately as it is winter in Kauai there is a downside- wind, wind, wind. We spent four nights and just didn't have a change to use the pool do to windy, cloudy weather. However, I bet during good weather that pool would be a crazy hotspot and fun place to be! The rooms all have a lanai, small but present. However, keep in mind that those on the backside, especially the side that the parking "structure" (carports) is on face a big ugly nothing and in some cases a construction area. Fortunately we were not on that side and had a decent ocean/pool view. We ate in the lounge & at the pool bar and found the food to be good but not phenomenal. Then again we knew we weren't eating at the main restaurant and we were looking for fast not leisurely meals so we could go about our day. The beach was nice and we had several long walks that we truly enjoyed. I could have done with out the rooster crowing the entire day but that's just Kauai- they are EVERYWHERE. Overall I thought this was an excellent value- especially if you hit happy hour at the lounge or pool bar.

Room Tip: Pay the extra to get an Ocean view or if you get Garden ask where it's located- don't get st...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Aloha and thank you for your review of the Kauai Beach Resort. We are so pleased that you found our resort to be a great value and that our accommodations and facilities met your expectations. We also appreciate your kind comments on our staff and the excellent service they provided you. We look forward to welcoming you back to the beautiful Garden Island in the near future. Mahalo!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed here traveling solo for my 30th birthday but I wasn't at the room or even the hotel that often other than to sleep, shower, etc.. What I really liked was the connivence of the hotel- right near the airport & the value is also a plus- good price for what you get. The food/meals was nothing to write home about though and I wasn't a huge fan of the dinner time restaurant or bars. I think this is possibly a better "family" style hotel- I am more into spa, luxury, seclusion as I am a single solo female traveler. :)

My experience at the hotel was good/average. Friendly staff, clean rooms, but lots of people- families, kids, etc. when the weekend came around... I prefer a much quieter setting. The pool- even the adult section, had kids- the jaccuzzi's as well which I wasn't a fan of. The beach although nice was also small. I rented a car (which I highly suggest) and drove the island daily, exploring and trying out other locations, shopping etc. Next time I would stay near Hanalei Bay area- although it can be rainier over there, it's much more lush and beautiful.

Room Tip: Make sure when you request a "ocean view" you get an ocean view- luckily I was not near th...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Aloha and thank you for your review of the Kauai Beach Resort. We are pleased that you found our property to be in a convenient location for you to enjoy the island activities. We appreciate your feedback and we will share your comments with our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the beautiful Garden Island. Mahalo!

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I arrived to check-in at this hotel at 3:51pm. This is relevant only because check-in is officially at 4pm. They made me wait in the lobby until 4pm sharp. When I got to my room, its A/C was not working and they had no alternative rooms to give me. I waited for maintenance to arrive. The worker took apart the wall and found the problem. In order to do that, he opened the closet and I noticed that the carpet had been ripped out. When I asked about it, he said there was a leak recently from the A/C so they removed the carpet. He fixed the problem quickly.

Parking, at least for the moment, should be free - but it's not. You have to park in a lot that is under construction due to the building of solar panels. Part of the lot is not even paved so you end up walking through dirt in order to get to/from your car.

The grounds of this hotel are lovely and make the whole experience much better. I guess that's the benefit of having a beachfront hotel in Hawaii. It's very nice to just sit outside with a drink at night. I hope that they can update parts of this hotel so that it can be a more all-around enjoyable experience for everyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Suitcaseismycloset

Aloha and thank you for your review of the Kauai Beach Resort. Needless to say, we are dissapointed that at check-in your accommodations were not satisfactory and that we did not have alternative rooms to offer as were at full occupancy. However, we are releaved to learn that our maintenance staff were able to resolve the A/C concern quickly. We appreciate your kind comments on our facilities and rest assured, we are in the process of property improvements to enhance our guest's experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to the beautiful Garden Island. Mahalo!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu, Autograph Collection
Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club
17 mi away
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Kaua'i Marriott Resort

Been to Kauai Beach Resort? Share your experiences!