“Clean, quiet and convenient”
Review of Kauai Beach Resort

Kauai Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Don't let the proximity to Lihue Airport unfavorably influence your decision--in fact, we saw it as a real positive. After flights which originated in upstate New York (11+ hours of flight time), the last thing we wanted to do was spend up a lot of time driving to our hotel. After we picked up our rental car, we were checking in at the hotel within 15 minutes. We never heard any aircraft taking off or landing. The most noise we heard in the morning were the roosters crowing around 6:00 AM.

Rooms are extremely clean and the beds very comfortable. Furnishings are a little dated, at least in the room where we stayed. It might seem like a little thing, but the bathroom door was a sliding type and didn't quite offer the privacy factor that a hinged door does. The bathroom also did not have an exhaust fan.

If you request an Ocean View room, you will not have an unobstructed view of the ocean. There will be a pond, parking lot and other buildings between you and the ocean. One of the photographs below shows the view from the balcony of the room where we stayed (room 1332).

The hotel staff is friendly and very helpful. The concierge (Guest Services rep) appears to work for Expedia.com and wasn't really all that helpful for someone who can do their own research. An example of this is a helicopter tour. We wanted to do a "doors-off" flight and the concierge offered us the choice of only two companies. No flights were available on the days we wanted and the cost was $300+ per person. We did some checking on our own and found a helicopter tour company that scheduled us for the next day, cost less (~$250) and would fly with only two passengers instead of six.

The beach is very nice and was practically deserted while we were there. It's not the best for swimming due to rocks and sharp coral. Sunbathing, walking and collecting shells and coral are about all you can really do on this beach. Better beaches for swimming can be found further north.

The swimming pools (four, plus two hot tubs) were also very clean and well-maintained. The water slide is locked up promptly at 6:00 PM.

Specialty drinks at the tiki bar can be a little pricey. Mai Tai cocktails were $3 during happy hour, but drinks like a Funky Monkey were $12.

Wi-Fi access is free in the hotel lobby. If you need to print something like your airline boarding passes, the business center has two workstations with printers, but access is charged by the minute and it's not cheap. Printing boarding passes for three flights and paying baggage fees cost $11.83.

Overall, we were very pleased with the hotel. We would definitely stay here again on a return trip to Kauai.

Room Tip: If you request an ocean view room in the hotel, you will NOT have an unobstructed view of the ocean...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mongrel08

Reviewed July 15, 2011

Just checked in. Was starting to get nervous about our choice because avid Kauai goers were not familiar with it. Rooms are fantastic. Views are breath taking. Pool looks like a lagoon. And there are multiple options for dining. Thumbs up!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Reillystarr
Reviewed July 12, 2011

This was my second trip to Kauai and my stay at Kauai Beach Resort wasperfect! The entire property was clean and well maintained, the room large for one person, the staff
were so accomodating, the food wonderful, scenery was paradise, and management
were on-site and would do anything to make your stay comfortable. When I get here, it's
easy to leave everything behind me and just relax. I won't stay anywhere else when I make my yearly visit and I'm enticing my friends and family to come and stay awhile. All
you need is right here and they add more to the pleasure of being on "The Garden Isle"
Daria Fedyshyn-Manitoba, Canada

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank ponderosagirl
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I felt the resort was well appointed, comfortable and relaxing. The restaurant was good, with good service. An excellent deal for the price. The self parking was far and you had to pay for it, but really that was my only complaint.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marmsmams
Reviewed July 2, 2011

After a full-day of travel from the East coast, I was relieved by the less than five minute drive to KBR from the airport. The check-in process was quick and efficient and soon I was enjoying my 3rd floor room. The room, booked as Garden/Mountain view, still had a view of the ocean if you stood out on the balcony. The room was good-sized with a bed as comfortable as my own at home, and a clean bathroom. I did have some issues with the locking mechanism on the door, but in both instances, maintenance was quick to come and repair it. As a solo traveler, I was eager to get out and explore the island, so I really didn't use the pools or eat at the resort's restaurants. The beach, while too rough to swim at, was great for walking and for photographing some amazing sunrises. Located in Lihue, it made for easy drives to the North shore beaches, Poipu and Spouting Horn to the South, and Waimea Canyon to the West. I do wish that free self- parking was offered in the price of the resort, but overall it was a great stay, and I would recommend KBR to others.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 1, 2011

This was the nicest hotel we have ever stayed at....The curbside luggage service was always excellent....Beautiful surroundings...right on a secluded beach with several pools,weekend live entertainment, and lots of lovely landscaping ....Great entrance with banyans trees surrounding it...

Room Tip: Ask for a beachfront room with a balcony
Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank charlenegranse
Reviewed June 30, 2011

We usually stay at the Sheraton in Poipu when we're on Kauai, but due to an on-going renovation there we made reservations at the KBR instead for this trip.

I can't say anything very bad about the KBR. I didn't feel nickel-and-dimed to death, though I spent less because I was able to take advantage of a few available discounts, including free valet parking because of my disabled person parking placard.

The food served poolside was fine, and I have no complaints at all about the food at the Naupaka Terrace restaurant for either breakfast or dinner. Service at the restaurant would not set any records for speed.

Overall I found the staff attentive and competent, though the front desk staff does not seem to work very quickly, and they could have been more welcoming and friendly when we checked in.

Everything seem to be in good repair, the grounds are well-maintained, but the room was small, and both the bathroom and the balcony were VERY small, so I did feel a little cramped.

There was a daily competition for the few available umbrella-covered spots arond the pools - the resort could use more umbrellas, and some of them needed to be replaced. The guest laundry facilities are only adequate.

The pool area is open until 10 PM - very nice of them, but one night the noise from the carousing of one group in the pool area was problematic. I had the phone in my hand to call the front desk to complain when the 10 PM hour struck and the group simply went away.

Would we stay at the KBR again? Probably, but it likely wouldn't be my first choice.

Room Tip: Be very clear about what you want.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank LegendaryYeti
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Shores Hotel
#10 of 11 in Kapaa
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Kauai Beach Resort? Share your experiences!