“Had a great golf experience!”

Ocean Course at Hokuala
Ranked #15 of 34 Outdoor Activities in Lihue
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Newly renovated Ocean Course winds its way through mango and guava groves to dramatic seaside cliffs and exceptional ocean views. The longest oceanfront golf in all of Hawaii! MSN Travel called the Ocean Course one of the world's twelve most beautiful courses. It's little wonder that the list of accolades for this Jack Nicklaus Signature track is as long as its string of holes that hug the Pacific. The Ocean Course offers the longest and most continuous stretch of oceanfront golf in all of Hawaii. It is a certain highlight of every visit. Recently renovated all 18 holes are in fabulous shape. Future enhancements include a welcoming new clubhouse on the inland waterway overlooking the 9th hole, along with a world-class practice facility. Both promise to take your game, and your vacation, to the next level.
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I decided to play here since the Prince Course at Princeville was under renovation, and I was NOT disappointed. I got to play the newly opened (at the time) Kiele ocean holes, and they were fantastic and a perfect way to finish the round. The round started on The Kiele Mauka Nine. The scenery is magnificent all throughout the round, and there are several holes that make you shoot over big canyons full of lush trees. The ocean holes on the back are unforgettable. I believe the rental clubs were brand new Taylor Made irons, and the driver was an R9 (my playing partner got a new R11). We did not stay on the property and green fees with rental clubs came to a little over $200.
The starter was a very nice gentleman who offered to assist with anything you might need. The hot dogs in the snack house were very good as well.
I had a great time and we finished the round at our own pace. We never had to wait on a slow group, and nobody was ever pushing us from behind.
I would play another course or two before I came back, but I would definitely play here again if given the opportunity.

Reviewed August 20, 2011

We had really looked forward to playing this course because we had so many wonderful things about it. We were very disappointed. They are turning what was 2 18 hole courses into 27 holes. They are building more condos on the other land. There was not a real driving range. The first nine we played was in terrible condition, bunkers were red clay. There had been work on the second nine and it was better, sugary white sand bunkers and fairways in better shape. The second nine is right next to the Lihue Airport. It was interesting to see the big jets landing 200 yards away. It is also very noisy from all of the helicopter tours. The staff was nice and the turn house had good hot dogs. However we felt that the $150 each was high for what we got.

1  Thank Golfergirl15
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I had the first tee time since the course reopened with the revamped ocean back 9. Some kinks to work out but beautiful course especially for the money and on the back 9. I paid about 140 bucks all in (brought my own clubs)...which coming from the east coast isn't a bad deal for a nice course.

Front nine was nice but some of the greens were tough...one accidentally had sprinklers going as we were hitting on...others were soppy.

Back 9 was beautiful, however be prepared for wind...part of the price for playing right on the ocean, I guess! Great views and fairways in pretty good shape.

Again the course needs time to get to where it needs to be, but the views, weather and friendly employees make for a great time.

1  Thank bostonweb
Reviewed May 1, 2011

Beautiful course with some memorable holes. Their twilight cost started around 12:30 so that makes getting a round of golf in pretty easy and cheaper.

There were a few holes under construction so lots of driving around as they re-configure the course. The staff there were very nice and made sure we were completely catered to.

1  Thank Oregontraveler477
Reviewed May 17, 2010

The course is nice, but when the starter says, "the greens are running about a 7 today" that isn't my idea of great conditions. Our home course averages a 12 on the stimpmeter, so 7 is just a little hairy for me. The bermuda grass is tough to maintain so the course is rough around the edges but a lot of fun. Especially the last three holes, some of the finest in Kaui. They are supposed to open four more holes and have the most ocean front holes in all of hawaii, but they have been promising that for two years. It is a little expensive for what you get now, but anytime you have a chance of hitting the ball in the ocean it's pretty cool. Development of the property has stopped, so there are no facilities except the pro shop and sales office. It will be nice when developers go back to work and complete the original concept. Still it was the most fun of all the courses played in Kauai during our stay.