“Great experience”

Baltimore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great experience”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Our pilot was named Patricio and he was terrific. We are both 1st-time helicopter flyers, so flying without doors was pretty scary. The weather was perfect, we only encountered turbulence when we crested a ridge. Both of us came away from the flight saying it was scary, exhilarating and we would do it again when we return to Kaua'i. The flight started with a complete review of safety procedures, the same ones that you ignore on an airplane, you won't ignore them this time. We flew in and out of the Wiamea Canyon, over the Na Pali coast and then past the Sleeping Giant. It was a complete tour in an hour, we were fortunate to have great weather and the view couldn't have been better. We would highly recommend Mauna Loa helicopter tours, make sure that you are ready for it though if you ask for a "doors off" tour.

Visited September 2013

Lexington, South Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“A Must Do!”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I highly recommend Mauna Loa Helicopters and their open-door flight (maximum capacity of three) around the island. The open-door experience, where you sit right next to the open door, makes this flight a fantastic experience as the views and the feel of the wind in your face seem to put you right in touch with the mountains, the cliffs, valleys, and forests that you fly over; also the best way to take pictures (for those the want to get good shots without the glare of the canopy). During our flight Fabricio, our pilot, explained all the sights, took us into Waimea Canyon, along the Na Pali coast, into the volcano that is the wettest spot on earth, over rainforests, and mountain tops, and over some of the most scenic beaches on the island. While flying he cautioned us ahead of time that there may be a little turbulence (which was nothing) as we skimmed over the mountain peaks. This is a must do since much of the island is not accessible, and you would otherwise miss much of the magic of Kauai.

I also recommend the DVD of your flight. It includes much of the scenery you see during the trip as well as the actual footage of you in the helicopter.

Lastly, working with Mauna Loa Helicopters and their staff was an absolute pleasure. They are totally professional and very customer service oriented!

Thank you Mauna Loa!

Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Awesome Experience”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was definitely the highlight of our trip to Hawaii. We bravely chose the doors-off flight. And we're so glad we did. I was very nervous. We were surprised by how windy it was inside the helicopter, despite it being a perfect, calm day. Our pilot Guy was excellent. Great local knowledge and a very competent manner. The information we received before we left suggested we wear jackets, not hoodies, but I only had a hoodie with me, and as soon as we took off, the hood filled with air and ballooned out behind me. I was able to tuck it down the back or it would have been a major problem, as would long hair or anything else loose.
We both took heaps of photos, but still spent the majority of the time just looking at the stunning landscapes below. Guy flew so that one of us could snap the highlights, then turned the helicopter around so the other person could do the same. It was so good that we didn't have to share the ride with other people. I would surely have been stuck in the middle of a larger helicopter, being smallish.
All in all it was stupendous, spectacular, amazing and now I can cross it off my bucket list.

London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Best helicopter ride ever”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

When we write our bucket list of "must things to do" this has to be near the top of the list, Fabricio was not only an amazing pilot but excellent tour guide very knowledgeable of the local terrain. Although we chose the doors off experience I found the ride very smooth admittedly it was a calm day and Fabricio did say we could not have chosen a better day and he was therefore able to fly to the top of the volcano usually covered in cloud. Took loads of great pictures mostly due to the skill of the pilot and his patience as he took us to amazing locations such as Waimea Canyon and na pali coast. Did not feel any motion sickness felt quite relaxed in capable hands would recommend wearing a light jumper. Knowing what I do now if I had left Kauai without completing the tour with have been one of life's regrets. It's a must do Highly recommended worth every cent (or penny/euro depending what side of the pond your from!!!) :0)

Gold Coast
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Amazing Experience”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We flew with Chas who was a great pilot. We were picked up close to the port from Pride of America and taken to the airport. Before too long we boarded our helicopter. We chose doors off and believe me it was worth it! The views were amazing! We had incredible weather as well! Flying over the coastline was a highlight as well as seeing all the amazing waterfalls. I would recommend this to everyone travelling to Kauai. It is worth the money to book out the helicopter and guarantee yourself the window seat!

Visited March 2013