“Wow---Oh My Gosh”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Wow---Oh My Gosh”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Let me begin by saying I get motion sick easily and am afraid of heights. However, I wanted to do something special for my boyfriend's birthday. He had never been to Kauai so I thought this was the best way to see it. I wasn't wrong! We decided on the extended tour with the doors off. Initially, probably due to my anxiety, I felt a little motion sick. By 10 minutes in though I kept saying "Wow--Oh my Gosh". It was so beautiful that I forgot to be nervous.

We did see other helicopters out there and to second what a couple of other reviews have said, our pilot took us in and got in close for great pictures. Many of the others carrying four or more people were in and out quickly. Also, Mauna Loa gives Everyone a window seat. You cannot fly with more than three passengers. As a result there isn't any leaning over other people to see and with the doors off there aren't any obstructions to your view . This is worth every penny and is highly recommended. Even if it means cutting back on eating out, do it! You will not regret it.
Laura E.

Utah
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Amazing!!”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I've been fortunate to do other helicopter tours on Hawaii (Oahu & Kauai) but none have compared to the doors-off Kauai tour by Mauna Loa! From the initial contact to make my reservation until we touched down after the tour, everything was professional, friendly and well-done. Our pilot, Clayton was excellent! Incredibly skilled, knowledgeable and very friendly!
we had beautiful weather and with the doors off, the views were outstanding. We even saw some humpback whales off Napali Coast. This is a must-do!

Visited January 2013
Canal Winchester, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Choose Mauna Loa Helicopters over all other heli-tour providers!!!!”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Absolutely wanted to do a heli-tour on Kauai since it was our second trip to the island and 90% of the really cool sites you can only see from the air. Took a lot of time researching Blue Hawaiian, Paradise, and the other big names and happened across Mauna Loa. Man was I glad!

As others have said, they have the best safety record, private tour with only 3 seats other than the pilot, and doors off option are all wins from the start. But, I have to add that Clayton was a true aviator and offered amazing skill to provide us with the best possible flight and views. While we followed a Blue Hawaiian helicopter in front of us and also saw a Paradise helicopter during the tour, we saw those companies doing standard straight flights into the canyon and out really quickly, but Clayton maneuvered the aircraft with such skill and hovered in and out of the canyons with precision and at the best angles for the most amazing views!!!

My wife is scared to death if heights and aircraft, and I told her the day before I requested doors off after having taken months to talk her into a flight in the first place. As other reviews have said, its not scary at all, the crew is great at making you feel safe, and you're drawn in by the sites around you offered by doors off. My wife even loved it so much she said she'd LOVE to do it again which says A LOT!!!!

3 Thank Ryan H
Huntington, New York, United States
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“great helicopter tour”
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I did a doors-off tour of Kauai on our recent visit and it was breathtaking. I felt we were provided exactly was represented and the weather really cooperated for us. We got great views of the valleys, waterfalls and the Napali coast. The doors-off was far more windy and cold then I had anticipated. There was a few times when I realized the neck strap to my camera had blown right up and over my head and I was just holding it over the open door. Also, do not not wear a sweatshirt with a hood, as it seriously will blow in your face the entire time and ladies tie back your hair tight. The views were incredible and I would definitely recommend this tour on your first visit to Kauai.

2 Thank Mary K
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Unbelievably spectacular!!!”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We did the doors off private helicopter...the only way to go!! Caleb, our pilot was great....the background music he chose was relaxing..we loved it!! He went out of his way for our photos! The rainbow was spectacular! Definitely the highlight of our second trip to Kauai! We learned so much about the island. Very private with no one but us....we will never forget the experience!!!
Ed & Sharon, Ottawa, Canada