“Stunning, breathtaking and a must do experience!”

Mauna Loa Helicopters Tours
Ranked #3 of 34 Tours in Lihue
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Wilsonville, Oregon
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Stunning, breathtaking and a must do experience!”
Reviewed October 18, 2011

My acrophobia was not a problem on our choice of a doors off amazing hour long flight. Our pilot, Adam, is a friendly pro that pointed out all the sights giving us just enough information without talking too much. I loved looking over at my husband taking pictures who turned to me several times with his mouth agape in awe. This is not to be missed! I did alot of research for this trip and we couldn't be happier. Thank you Mauna Loa Helicopters!

3 Thank GinaFN

Hong Kong, China
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Helicopter Ride - must do! and with Mauna Loa only!”
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Our ride was absolutely fantastic - weather was great so we got great views of the beautiful landscapes all along. Kevin, our pilot, was terrific. This is trip is totally yours to do and doors-off is the way to go about it. The entire staff was very friendly.

You have choices of lot more tours but I would seriously recommend Mauna Loa for two simple reasons -

(1) Purely personal trip - all yours and you only. Guaranteed a window seat. We opted to fly with the doors removed which makes a tremendous difference for clear views and photographs.

(2) They are primarily a helicopter training school - so, for first-timers, very safe and in very competent experienced hands.

11:30 am trip recommended.

Visited October 2011
2 Thank Kteotia
Victoria, Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Adam was the best!”
Reviewed October 15, 2011

There is little to add to what has already been said except that Adam's attention to detail told me I was safe with him and that he knew his business.
We arrived at the Cathedrals at the exact moment his music played Gregorian Chant; if that isn't attention to detail I don't know what is!
He gave us a lovely morning of soaring above and into canyons. Having the chopper to ourselves meant we did not have to lean over man mountains to see out nor have weaker stomachs to content with. Well worth the price. Highly recommend Adam as your pilot for a flight over Kauai.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Exilelass
Central Illinois
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Wow!”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

The doors off option was fantastic, as was our entire tour. The pilot was friendly, knowledgeable and skilled. We saw the entire island in 90 minutes. The car travels the following two days were more meaningful after having seen things from above. This company doesn't seem to do as much advertising as the others, but they are first class in every way. From booking to transportation to safety briefings to lift-off and final touch down, we really recommend them. Small aircraft, so every seat is open to the outside (on the doors off option). The doors off option is no more scary than any other helicopter ride, so don't hesitate to do this. Roy & Trudy

Visited September 2011
1 Thank cosmoaction
Billings, Montana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Tranquility at 1500' & 100 MPH”
Reviewed October 11, 2011

My wife and I went on a Mauna Loa chopper ride during our honeymoon this past summer. The staff, we mainly dealt with Daniela, was great and the experience far exceeded our expecations. I booked this company orignally because they advertised as private and doors-off tours. Upon arrival, we were surprised to find out private meant us and the pilot. This certainly scored me some romace points. While other tours may be less expensive most of the other choppers looked like personnel carriers. The Mauna Loa helicopter was like a brand new version of a chopper straight out of MASH. Small, open, & manuverable. The pilot was extremely skilled, calm, and cool. He flew us into canyons and up-close to the most breathtaking places we've ever seen. I normally don't like heights, but was not the least bit nervous during the ride, even with the doors off.

For us the ride was perfect. We are so happy we didn't book one of the medivac enclosed choppers. Kauai is an enchanting place. Still, there is a lot to see and experience in a limited time. The chopper ride gave us a complete perspective of the island. Afterwards we felt more at ease and less worried about seeing everything. In short, it was worth every cent, especially in a Robinson 44 chopper with the doors off! We will always rememeber the experience.

Visited August 2011