“Great place to stay”

Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Reviewed June 7, 2010

This is our 3rd trip to this resort. Internet and self parking is free for timeshare owners. Hotel guests pay for these 2 items.
We are timeshare owners and trade for this resort. The one bedroom we stayed in had been updated. The timeshare units are converted hotel rooms.
They replaced the furniture - but not the couches. The couch is part of a murphy bed set and probably the most uncomfortable piece of furniture you'll ever sit on! Saggy and no support what so ever.
The tall kitchen/sink counter is gone -- a very nice upgrade. I'm 5'7" and had a hard time using the old sink - it was so high. The rooms don't have kitchens - more like a kitchenette. No cooking facilities other than a microwave, toaster and coffee maker. They do have under the counter refrigerators and dishwashers. In the one bedroom units there's an additional refrigerator in the bedroom. Nice for the extra cold items.
The beach and views are some of the best we've ever been fortunate enough to see.
Love the pool here. The center garden and koi pond are very lovely. We enjoy morning walks through them.
The kids loved playing volleyball, the beach and the pool. Everything is so close you can sit in one place and enjoy all three options.
The on site restaurants are just okay. Food is okay but pricey. My husband had a hamburger, fries and a beer for $28.00 (with tip.) Duke's is next door and is very good, although we felt not as good as it used to be.
There were 3 teenagers in our group so we went to Costco often. We grilled several of our dinners on their out door grills. There's a Subway in Lihue which is also a good option for keeping food costs down. JJ's Burgers is in the shopping center next door and it's one of our favorite places. Delicious burgers!
We look forward to returning to this little piece of paradise.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Sierrajean

Reviewed June 6, 2010

We bought into the Marriott Kaua'i villas in the early '90's and come here every couple of years. In 2010 our stay has marked an absolute low point in terms of how the resort has evolved. Whereas once this was a classy resort where the service was of a high caliber, now it has turned into a trashy place for wedding parties. This is no longer the place you want to come for your Hawaiian vacation. I suppose it is fine for locals looking for a place to have a party. But, as far as being a place to enjoy a well-deserved week off - well, go to the the Hyatt or Hilton - end of story. and, we stay in the best rooms for free because we are owners! Shame on Bill Marriott for letting this gem slip so far.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank LebaRJ81
Reviewed May 31, 2010

For the past two years I have stayed in a timeshare villa at the Marriott Kauai Beach Club and resort. The location on Kalapaki Bay is gorgeous, and the large central pool is a great place to lose yourself for a day. The landscaping is fantastic and the place has a luxury tropical feel. The on property restaurants are adequate, and there are some others within walking distance. These timeshare villas are hotel conversions, so they have a minimal kitchen and a small living room area with only a couch for seating. It is splendid to have breakfast on the balcony.

What is not splendid is to have to scan the rooms for cockroaches all the time so you can whack them with your shoe to kill them off. Last year, my unit in the garden wing was quite overrun with them. It made me jumpy looking to see where they were at any given moment. I was hopeful not to find any in the higher end ocean view wing this year, 2010, but I was killing them regularly in the bathroom.

When you have roaches 3 feet from your suitcase, you are afraid they are crawling inside and going home with you. I kept my bags zipped every moment, and never unpacked as I normally would for a week's stay.

Management there is in denial about the problem; last year they told me they had cut back on spraying during the recession. Well, you just can't do that. This time I bagged up the last roach I killed and sent it off with a note to the new General Manager. Housekeeping rushed in both times to clean out the kitchen and get the roach droppings out of the silverware trays, but if the roaches roam back, you can't be sure anything is not dirty. I washed every single item before and after using it.

I just think it's fair people should know about this issue as this is a very high end resort where it costs $20,000+ to own, with maintenance fees over $1200 annually. You would not expect german roaches in this situation.

Spa facilities are very dated and in need of a makeover. They are clean but basic and nothing luxorious about them. Staff is friendly, tho cutbacks mean a long wait for an operator or concierge.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank Reenactress
Reviewed May 29, 2010

I admit, I was worried. After all the bad reviews and construction complaints, I was apprehensive to say the least. I even checked out changing our plans to a different resort--and I'm so glad I didn't.

We booked a two-bedroom villa for my husband and I and our two college-aged kids. Since we have a son and daughter, our son took the murphy bed in the living room, and thus we all had a separate bedroom. With a AAA rate, I couldn't touch this rate at any other resort, which we wanted for the amenties.

We had a fantastic trip, thanks in large part to the Marriott. Expansive, well-groomed grounds; yes, there's a '70s/Caesars Palace vibe in the architecture, but whatever. Lots of space (we checked other resorts in Poipu, and everybody was crowded in there, both at hotel pool and beach) and many areas where you could find privacy, including our room balcony, which avoided any other rooms in sight. Good food, especially KuKui's for breakfast, Duke's for lunch and Cafe Portofino for dinner (our best meal the whole trip at CP). We took advantage of the free scuba in the pool (yes, you feel stupid, but we'd never tried it and really had fun); bought paddle board lessons, thank goodness, because it's way harder than you'd expect, and a good time.

I've seen a lot complaints on Tripadvisor about service, but I found everyone gracious and helpful. My son said he found most waiters rude, but I have a feeling that's because he got carded everywhere (apparently there has been a problem with restaurants serving to underage drinkers, so the newly-21 crowd gets checked pretty consistently everywhere).

The location is perfect for exploring the island, you can walk to the helicopter check-in area for Blue Hawaiian (HIGHLY recommend a helicopter trip, it really is amazing and once-in-a-lifetime), and although the airport is close you don't hear it at all.

Construction is almost done. They were taking down the barriers at the front on the day we left. The Kiddie pool does look like it has a long way to go, but you really don't notice the noise except maybe once or twice a day for a few moments when something loud goes on. But they have it blocked off in a way you practically don't notice it. In my view, construction in not an issue.

My daughter and I also did spa treatments. It's not the most luxurious spa space I've ever been to, but the treatment was incredible--I had the English woman massage therapist, and it's one of the best massages I've ever had.

We also used the Fitness Center--good space, lots of treadmills, many free weights and some space for yoga/stretching. Not lux, but very workable. I saw tops about 20 people in there at once, and it wasn't overly crowded.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel. It's quiet at night, but I think that's the island, not the place.

Other recommendations: KAYAK KAUAI is a great company that we did two trips with. Our son did the NaPali coast kayak, which he said was a lifetime high on the amazing adventure scale, and my daughter and I did the Wailua River kayak/hike to sacred falls. I actually did the classic Hawaiian thing of swimming in a pool below a 100-foot waterfall. Great people at that company--they tell you a lot about the flora/fauna and Hawaiian history while you're doing your trip. Side note: bring bug spray if the you the river kayak/hike to sacred falls trip.

Also, would recomend restaurants: The Eastside in Kapa'a and The Beach House in Poipu.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank PucksterColorado
Reviewed May 28, 2010

We checked into the Marriott Vacation Club part of the Kauai Beach Club Resort and couldn't have been happier with the 2 bed/2 bath unit that we got..space for 4 people is plentiful. This resort has things to do with both the beach and pool side activities. Even though we pretty much just sat poolside with a drink in our hand most days we found it very enjoyable and not crowded at all. Pool is awesome, plenty of space and water to share with others. There is construction on the kiddie pool going on during the day but didn't both at all and is blocke from view with a wall barrier put up around the area.

Kauai Lagoons in its current configuration is still a worthwhile place to play some golf, especially because it is close to the resort.

This hotel was wonderful for a place to chill and hang loose on a low key Hawaiian island.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 25, 2010

We were lucky enough to spend a week at the Marriott on my parent’s timeshare (plus used freq. flier miles) The hotel is in a great location, right on the beach and with an awesome pool. Front Desk service was very friendly. My husband put his room key in the same pocket as his cell phone & it deprogrammed it. They gladly reprogrammed and said it was a common occurrence. There were a few good restaurants within a short walk (Duke’s Barefoot, JJ Broiler, Main Street Diner (breakfast) as well as some shopping. There was construction, but it never bothered us. We heard more noise from the up keep of the grounds than from the construction. Of course there were a few minor inconveniences, but gee I was in Hawaii!
Because we had a time share they gave us a villa-two rooms w/ connecting door that we opened. The one side had a mini kitchen-microwave, dish washer, mini refrig, coffeepot and toaster along with a place setting for 6. This was very nice because we tried to get breakfast in and make sandwiches for lunch. Food is really expensive on the island. We went to Kukui's one morning and it cost us $60 w/ tip for 2. We did not have anything special…pancakes, sausage, coffee and waffle and it was definitely nothing to get excited about. Because of the Villa status there was no charge for self service parking. We did not look into the cost of internet…we were on vacation. I really liked it that there were laundry facilities available. I took a morning and did some wash and this way we did not have to pack as much and pay those airline fees.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Love2travelMpls
Reviewed January 16, 2010

My wife and I stayed in one-half of an oceanfront 1-bedroom condo. While not spacious, it was very well appointed and provided an incredible 12th-floor view of the entire bay. We enjoyed sunrises from our balcony. The facility is excellent overall. We'd highly recommend Cafe Portofino and Duke's on-site dining. Pool-side bar food, drinks, and service were excellent! We really enjoyed being able to move back and forth from the pool to the large, uncrowded beach on the bay. The hotel has the on-site has Kauai Beach Boys for surf, kayak, paddle board, etc. lessons. Taylor was an excellent paddle board instructor!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stevetoo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club? Share your experiences!