“Great Luau”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great Luau”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

This luau is a little different in that it has a storyline--instead of moving from one type of dance to another between historical narration. Although a "traditional" luau is good, this was great. The history of the island is still presented, but through a good story that makes it more alive (at least to me). The food is good too. Compared to the 2 other luaus I've been to (on other islands), I certainly enjoyed thus one the most. The "theatre-in-the-round" makes all seats great seats. We stayed in Princeville, but this luau was definitely worth the drive (and somewhat late drive back).

4 Thank Lee5280

Ocala, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Hawaii high light!!”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Our family had the pleasure of attending this wonderful luau. It was offered as an excursion on NCL. This was one of the high lights of our cruise. We enjoyed everything about it!! It is first class all the way. We met such wonderful people. The show was perfect as well as the food. The grounds are stunning!

1 Thank martha630
Penfield, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“My First Luau”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We've spent the better part of our vacation in the North Shore, but for the luau we journeyed south. Our tour bus arrived on time and off we went to about 6 or 7 other resorts to pick up other travelers. I'd recommend driving if you are staying in the North Shore, the drive down is about 45 minutes, unless you take the tour bus. The bus ride with all of the stops was much longer and that's pretty painful at the end of the night when all you want to do is get to your best as quick as possible. Our bus driver told the best stories and was quite engaging for a not so interactive audience.

Upon arrival it was clear this was a prime spot for tourist - that was a let down - I was hoping for a more intimate setting. If that's what you are looking for, this is not the place for you. There were at least 8 other large tour buses, rows of cars and trucks - hundreds of people. The checkin lines were long but moved along pretty well.

Once we were in we made our way around the vendor tables, checkout Kauai Nut Roasters if they are there - the best nuts you'll have and they are generous with their samples. Delicious. There were a few demonstrations also. We moved inside for some drinks and to be seated because our first course would be served soon.

The first course consisted of purple bread, whipped sweet butter, salad (which I added some of the Kauai Nut Roasters, nuts to), pineapple, sea salt and the best kettle chip I've ever had. I called to try to find out the brand of the chips but no one seemed to know and I've yet to receive a call back from the manager :(

There's live music being played while everyone is moving about and getting into their seats. Also on the stage behind me there was some dancing and demonstrations taking place.

Not a terrible amount of time later it was our turn to walk through the buffet line - mmmeehhh, the food was good, but not spectacular. It's a buffet after all. Mahi Mahi, pulled pork, teriyaki chicken, purple sweet potatoes, mac salad, tomato salad, jasmine rice and vegetable stir fry were some of the options available. I ate entirely too quick - an attempt to offset the very strong MaiTai I'd started my time there with.

The show ramped up pretty soon after we were seated. I'd always imagined a Luau outdoors, around the campfire, with stray skirts and live music. This was more of a production and didn't feel super authentic to the luau experience I'd had in mind. But for what it was, it was good.

The best part was the fire show. That was super intense, super intense.

After the show we were able to take pictures with the cast members and then quickly made our way to the shuttle tour bus. This is where you'll be glad you drove. Riding on a bus, late, with drunk couples is one of the most obnoxious experiences in life. Especially when all you want is dark, quite reflection. Skip the shuttle bus. Assign a designated driver. Drive.

2 Thank Quinisha A
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Best Lu'au I've been to!”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

This is my third trip to Kauai - and each time we've gone to a different Lu'au. But THIS one was the BEST! The entire experience was great. When going in, you immediately can head right to the bar for a drink - then mill around with local artists (beautiful things - especially the photos - breathtaking!). All during the pre-dinner time, there are small shows going on at the center stage and side stages. Dinner is excellent - very delicious. The show is AWESOME! The production is great. Good staging (as others have said, there is not a bad seat in the house with the round, center stage), wonderful lights and effects, the fire portion is great... It's just a wonderful show. It is absolutely NOT to be missed. You can find some deals online - so search around.

3 Thank Fir96
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
98 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 284 helpful votes
“Rushed dinner”
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

They say it's an all you can eat buffet, but watch out. If you stop to chew, they ask you if you are done. If you set your fork down they take it! And you better hurry if you want seconds the cover everything up. Then they tell you to for get dessert because the show is about to start. Once the show starts they serve nothing.

They do a good job of moving several thousand people in and out in a couple hours. It's under a big permanent tent with a stage in the middle and hundreds of tables sitting 10 people each.

The show is very good, and others we talked to that have been to similar events loved it as well. But we were a little turned off by the rushed dinner. The food was very good. And the open bar was good while it lasted.

2 Thank BethlehemPaUSA