“Good show, mediocre food for $$$”
Review of Luau Kalamaku

Ranked #1 of 5 Concerts & Shows in Lihue
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Having been to luaus on Maui and the Big Island, I was told that this one is different. OK, so I'll go... the concept of "theatre in the round" makes it more enjoyable, as more people are seated closer to the stage. The show was good, but the buffet food very standard. I found the kalua pork very salty, the desserts bland, and everything else just OK (but none of the hot dishes were anything but lukewarm). Disappointing.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

This Luau was overall enjoyable, the reason it got a 4 (I really wanted to give it a 3.5) is because of the food and drinks. The open bar consisted on popov vodka which I haven't had in over 10 years, and was probably at a frat party because it's what cheap college students usually buy. So I would say stick to the beer and or wine, which were decent.

Being that we were in Hawaii, I thought there would be a much larger variety of seafood. There was basically just the Lomi Lomi, which was good but barely had any salmon, and the only other option was the Ono fish, which was good. The pork was jsut ok, it tasted a bit off to me, and I'm not usually a picky eater...ever.

My experience could have also been slightly tainted by the couple sitting next to me who were from Alaska, and were not wearing any deodorant. You're pretty close to each other at your table, and that wasn't exactly pleasant.

The show itself was wonderful. Especially the performers that with fire- wow! Again, If the food and drinks were of a higher quality, this would have gotten a 5.

2  Thank YRP_21
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The Kalamaku luau is a top-notch experience that was nearly ruined for us by a badly over-driven sound system. EVERY voice and instrument or bit of dialog, no matter how quiet, was distorted and mostly unintelligible. It's a testimony to the fine story, cast and choreography that we left feeling good about our second time attending in three years. If they had been any less than very good, this review would be one or two stars based solely on the damage done to the show by the horrid sound system.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

I'm very familiar with this luau and it's history. It used to be smaller, less expensive (!!), and much better. Now it is very big, not at all intimate (feels like a big ol' commercial luau), and very expensive. The train ride: The announcer rambled on the entire time, with really cheesy and boring commentary, even my kids were complaining about it. During the train ride, they stop for you to get out and feed a field of goats, chickens, and wild pigs that are kept there (then take you back to the luau to eat pig and chicken...) - not sure what the point was, but it was very weird and boring. There really isn't any direction for what to do and when (and like I said, I'm familiar with this luau). The cocktail hour show is lovely - it is basically what the old dinner show was (and it's great!). Dinner is lacking flavor and variety. The desserts had absolutely NO flavor. The actual dinner show is confusing, BORING, and doesn't feel at all traditional or Hawaiian. The strange dancers in spandex waving fabric sheets around were just bizarre. The story is hard to follow, and the music isn't catchy like a lot of Hawaiian luau shows are. The fire knife dancer is good. The center stage is hard to see. The whole show just didn't have that family feel like it did in the past. The people who work there are still wonderful and friendly, but the way the luau is done now is truly disappointing - especially now that the price is so high. It just felt very commercial, and very "flat" as far as mood goes. Sad to see what was such a great little luau turn into... THIS.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We were in Kauai and you don't go to The Hawaiin Islands and not go to a Luau. They show what I guess was a tribal ritual so you can make a head piece made from bamboo leaves and then there was spear throwing .The ladies were given flowered leis and the men shell leis. They take your picture with a few of the dancers at a cost. We had a great table right next to the stage. The buffet was all right lots of food and the desserts were plenty . Drinks are free but only one at a time per person. We even took a train ride around the plantation that was different beautiful grounds and well kept. The show was so amazing it truly was the highlite of the evening also included a fire show. All in all it was worth every penny no regrets. Would definetly go again!

1  Thank Nina499283