“Excellent Luau” 5 of 5 bubbles

35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Excellent Luau”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

We visited Hawaii in May and went to Kauai after the big island. The luau was excellent. We read many reviews before choosing this one. This is a family run operation and they have been doing it for several generations and it shows. The setting is in a garden which reminds me of a botanical garden environment. It is absolutely amazing. The food and service was excellent. After dinner they had a show with amphitheatre style seating and stage that was excellent. The performance traced the culture of Kauai and the Hawaiian Islands. A bus picked us up and returned us to our motel. They also have a boat trip called Smith's Grotto Tour which we diid the next day which was also very nice. Would definitely recomment.

1 Thank gap106

Santa Rosa, CA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Very Accomodating for those with disabilities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

My parents attended this luau as part of their vacation and could not stop talking about it! My mother uses a walker to get around. She was greeted right away and asked how they might be able to help her enjoy the facilities. They found a seat for her at the end of a table and young girl was assigned to my mother to help her get through through the buffet line by carrying her plate. They gave my mom a ride to the entertainment area in a golf cart and attended to her fastidiously the entire evening. My parents did not request any of this treatment ahead of time, it was simply offered on their arrival. My father also appreciated no having to carry 2 trays through the line and a slow, difficult trip to the entertainment area. They both had a great time and recommend it very much to anyone who desires a special treat with an extra touch of class.

4 Thank McLartymom
West Jordan, Utah
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Nice take on Luau's”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

If you've ever been to Kauai, you know that Wailua is in an area prone to rain. That being said, the Smith Family Garden Luau has that completely accounted for with both the dinner and the show, which are both completely covered. I've been to a couple luau's on Maui and gotten absolutely drenched so this was refreshing. The rest of the grounds are beautiful and the initial tour of the grounds is very nice. The mai tai's aren't that good but the food was varied, plentiful, and tasty. The show was also very good. They covered all the cultural aspects of Hawaii, included the Asian influences. The rain was coming down in buckets and their dancers didn't bat an eyelash, staying calm and professional during the entire show.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Troy H
Long Beach, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Good family Luau experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

This is our second trip to Kauai and our second luau experience. I never wrote a review for the first because I had nothing to compare it to. Tonight we (me, wife, son, daughter, and mother-in-law) went to the Smith Family Garden Luau. We purchased the package with the river cruise to the Fern Grotto before the luau... the grotto was cool to see but in retrospect we could've passed on that part. After the boat ride we walked from the Marina to the entrance to the garden where we each received a cool shell lei and were loaded onto a tram driven by a guide who provided a quick guided tour of the tropical garden. The garden and grounds were amazing and the variety of birds there only added to the experience. I have some great pictures of the peacocks. They then dug one of the pigs out of the "Imu" pit in ceremonial fashion, served up cocktails and asked us to be seated for the feast. I was slightly disappointed to find out that parties of six or more automatically received reserved seating (in the better seats), while the rest of us battled it out for some in-between and far away spaces (advice: the outer tables are called to the buffet first, but don't have the best view of the stage to see the dinnertime entertainment. So inner tables = better view while outer tables = faster eats) That all being said, the food was GREAT! My first luau three years prior I had no idea what to do with poi, but this time I knew that the bland substance was not intended to be eaten alone but was used to cut the saltiness of the pork and therefore is best with pork... try dipping a fork full of pork and rice in the poi, it's really good. The show followed dinner and was located in a separate theater area. My advice would be to finish dinner early and get over to the theater 30 min before the show begins in order to get a good seat. All I can say is that the show could've been better. My first luau was the Luau Kalamaku on the Kilohana Plantation and the show was amazing in so many ways - great performers, theatrical, awesome special affects - I could go on. Where Kalamaku lacked was in the food department, as it was not a memorable dining experience. But the Smith family was just a hodgepodge of disconnected dance acts. Some were entertaining but most were not so much. That's why it's four and not a five rating, because food is what matters most to me... I can live with a mediocre show.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Gary F
Othello, Washington
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

The Smith Family Luau is truly a family affair! What a great experience! The grounds are gorgeous, the food was absolutely delicious and the show was done very well, It was a very enjoyable and affordable evening

1 Thank Rhonda H