“20 year anniversary”

West Liberty, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“20 year anniversary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

Great night! They picked us up at our hotel,we got a beautiful shell necklace, Took a tour of the grounds the trees and flowers grounds in general were gorgeous! They explained how to get the pig ready and cooked we watched them dig it up!!Wonderful dinner buffet/dinner show. The luau was great more than we ever expected. Most of all free drinks all evening!!!! They drive you back to the hotel!! A must see/do Thanks Smith family you really made us feel as if we were at a family reunion we really felt like part of your family!!! Thanks for a great evening well worth it.

1 Thank Brande H

Denver, Colorado
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 147 helpful votes
“Campy fun, but not a great luau”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

I don't normally write "negative reviews", read my contributions, and I don't mean to sound mean but this was really out there......Booked this luau based on reviews on Tripadvisor, and I guess it all depends on what you are wanting and looking for, but my husband and I have been to several other luau's on other islands and this is by far the worst, yet it was still fun in a campy, weird way.

You arrive at the grounds and are ushered in and taken by tram around the 30 acre property which are actually quite lovely. The only downside to the tram ride is the driver, while a very nice, friendly man, was rattling off names of every tree, plant, fauna, flora in the place. He was going so fast one could not hope to follow his dialogue and learn which tree or plant is what. But having said that, the grounds are lovely.

After disembarking the tram, you have about 30 to 40 minutes to wander about the grounds. It was fun to a point. There are several large peacocks roaming the grounds. It was disturbing to me to see the tourists provoking these lovely creatures, causing them to flare their beautiful plumes, anything for a great photo op I guess. I actually saw a young woman trying to grab one's plume to provoke it for a great picture, dear Lord.

One weird thing, don't mean to sound like an alcoholic, but any other luau I have been to you are offered a Mai Tai or something to drink upon arrival, not here, they made an announcement that said no drinks until after the "imu" or the ceremonial pig is served. Why? To keep liquor costs down I assume. You could however get a plastic cup of water.....I am out for the evening, paying good money, let's have some fun....water in a plastic cup for almost $100.00 a pop....wow....

On the positive, the food at the luau was actually really good for a buffet. The pork was cooked excellently and all the sides were great. Here's the nutty thing, they wouldn't serve alcohol until after the "imu", but when they announced the bar was open there was a mad rush and crush to get to the watered down, super sweet Mai Tai's. The floodgates opened and I thought people might fight to get their booze. It was crazy, and so unnecessary.... Okay, let's proceed to the show.

We all headed to the outdoor ampitheater where the show was done. Stadium style seating which was nice which gave maximum viewing for everyone. Show started off good, then went rapidly downhill in my and hubby's opinion. The show was like a high school musical. The talent was not great. The different countries represented took it down in our opinion. I want grass skirts and not kimono's from Japan, I wanted Hawaii, not New Zealand. Nothing against Japan and New Zealand, but when in Hawaii I want to see what you saw when you watched the opening segment of "Hawaii Five-0" back in 1970 with Jack Lord ("Book 'em Dano") with the girls in their grass skirts, moving like no person is able to move... The men performers were awful. I'm sorry, I said it outloud. Any other luau we have gone to the men are buff and look fierce, like warriors, these guys were in shirts from Hilo Hatties and bermuda shorts? What? They were trying, in fairness, but go to Paradise Cove on Oahu and then go to this luau and there is no comparison.

The worst was the fire dancer at the end, while quite sincere he dropped his fire batons at least 4-5 times and even set the stage a blaze, I am not kidding. Hubby and I had a great time laughing but I don't think this is what the Smith Family is intending. And we were not laughing from being drunk, no way will one get intoxicated at this luau.

In fairness, I think they have a lovely place and are quite sincere in trying to do a great job, but compared to other luaus we have gone to this was grade D.

Positive: Good for families with kids
Negative: little alcohol, little exposed skin.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank tamstrat
Frisco, Colorado
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“mediocre tourist trap”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

This was our second time there. We took our daughter when she was five and again when she turned 11. It'll be the last time we ever go. The grounds are okay. Not much upkeep and looking old. It's nice that it's family owned/operated, but it's nothing more than a tourist trap. Save your money and see another show...or better yet, go somewhere nice for dinner.

The food was passible...The Olympic cafe has better food for a fraction of the cost. The mai tais are virgin and sweet as can be.

Really nothing positive to say. The dancers are good and we appreciate that they have to do it day in and day out. The chinese dragon was the silliest of them all.

Summary - save you're money (unless you love tourist traps) and go enjoy an evening with the family and a great sunset (think beach house. Oasis. Sheraton. You get the idea).

Visited June 2012
Fontana, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Huki-lau fun!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

It's corny (the entertainment) but worth seeing if you have not been to a luau. Gardens are nice, love the peacocks. Nice Emu ceremony and the food is decent. Warm rice pudding and coconut cake for dessert. Love the Kalua pig and the marinated cucumber salad.

1 Thank Ami D
Melbourne, Australia
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“A really good night out - the entertainment was excellent !!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

The garden luau is set within a rather large area of beautiful botanical gardens. You start off by taking a short train tour of the gardens with someone providing commentary about the history of the gardens and pointing out particular plants etc. There are several peacocks there also. When we were there it was mating season and so they had there tails out displaying all of their feathers - just beautiful and certainly a unique experience. After you go to a Imu ceremony. The food was great and lots of it, plenty to drink and a band playing while you ate. After dinner and desert we went to the entertainment area to see a very entertaining show. Dancers were excellent as was the music. We had a great time and the guy who was the MC for the night did a great job of making everyone feel very welcome.

1 Thank Linda B