“a good tour.”

67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“a good tour.”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

i went to the tour on my last day in Kauai. it was not on my original plan. after reading the recommendations from the blue guide book , ultimate kauai, i decided to go on the tour. lucky that they have one seat left. and from the guidebook, i knew they would have a lower internet price than phone price. So i asked over the phone. The lady agreed to give me the internet price. it is an hour flight, but need to check in earlier for safety briefing. Kauai is very suited for Helicopter tours. the Pilot did a great job in showing all the spots. BUt since i have been on most of the trails, some of the scenes are not as striking to me as they are to other ppl on the tour. All in all, if you would like to see Kauai in a not too hard way, this tour is pretty worth it.

1 Thank Paula S

• Finnish first
Jacksonville, FL
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Most amazing experience in Kauai”
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

I must admit I was very nervous about taking a helicopter ride, but this company put me at ease as soon as we arrived, and I could not be happier I took this tour!! This is the only way to see Kauai, absolutely incredible views I can't even describe. I thought it was expensive, but it is worth every penny for this once in a lifetime experience. We lucked out and sat in the front seats - it is all done by weight and you can't request seats, but I was thrilled to be in the front! I get motion sickness VERY badly in all types of vehicles, but I took Dramamine before the flight and had no problems at all. Jason was our pilot and he was awesome - funny, informative, and answered all of our questions. We chose Blue Hawaiian because our guidebook, Kauai Revealed, said it was the best - it was. When you see the Blue Hawaiian helicopters next to all the other tour company's helicopters, you will see what I'm talking about. The helicopter was comfortable, spacious, had air conditioner, Bose headphones and microphones so we could talk to each other and the pilot during the ride. Do not miss the opportunity to see Kauai by air and do it with Blue Hawaiian!!

1 Thank AshGator1
Mountain View, Hawaii
“Best Money Spent on Kauai”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

In the short time that I could stay on island, this was the only way to truly see nearly all of the amazing beauty that Kauai has to offer. The pilot and guide, Barrett, was born and raised in Kauai, which made the narration and commentary seem more authentic.

The flight was couldn't have been any better without actually touching down at any of the spectacular sights such as Jurrasic Falls, Napoli cliffs, and Wailua Falls (Fantast Island falls).

I was hesitant to spend the money. After an amazing prospective flying through the air and hovering at the key spectacular locations, I would have eagerly paid twice that much.

A must do, with Blue.

Salt Lake City, Utah
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Unbelievable views, once in a lifetime experience for us”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed on Kauai for our anniversary. We decided to try a few things that we had never done before. Riding in a helicopter certainly qualified! I am a very cautious person, and the idea of getting in one these things never was appealing to me. I know the statistics don't support my fears, so I convinced my wife to try it.

I'm so glad that we did. The staff did an excellent job with the safety briefing, and explained what we could expect aboard. That didn't prevent me from being extremely nervous when I first got onboard. As we took off, I quickly felt better as the ride was much smoother than I anticipated. Not nearly as bumpy as what I have experienced on an airplane, it felt like we were just floating through the sky. The views were amazing, and something I will never forget. The Waimea canyon, coast line, waterfalls, etc are almost too beautiful to describe. I can safely say that I could never have seen most of this any other way. We dropped down into canyons, hovered near waterfalls, and flew just off the shore of the northern coast.

My only regret is not being able to do it again soon. Highly, highly recommended.

Columbus, OH
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“A "Must Do" in Kauai”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

The topography of Kauai's interior & Na Pali coast are unbelievable -- but cannot be accessed by car. That leaves you with only a few other options:

(1) Helicopter tour - around $220/person
(2) Boat tour - around $150/person
(3) Kayak - around $150/person to Kayak the Na Pali Coast
(4) Hiking - 22 miles round trip to hike the full distance of the Na Pali Coast

...but the helicopter tour is the only way to see the lush interior, much of which is owned by a single family (the Robinsons) and they do not allow hiking on their property. For instance, if you want to see the waterfall from Jurassic Park, you have to take a helicopter tour.

We selected Blue Hawaiian because of the reviews offered in the "Kauai Revealed" guidebook which you should definitely have with you at all times:

We booked our trip for the 8am tour. Here is the most important information that I can provide you: the guidebook says that you want to sit in the front, or at worst on the right side of the helicopter. This is 100% ACCURATE. Unfortunately, you cannot request seating with Blue Hawaii. The helicopter seats 6 people and they distribute the weight on the helicopter based upon a computer program that I still cannot figure out. I was originally under the assumption that the lighter people would sit in the front with the pilot. This is not the case because my wife and I were definitely the lightest couple on our tour and we did not sit in the front. When our helicopter landed and the next group boarded, I saw a rather robust couple being led the front of the helicopter...so who knows how it works.

Here is how the seating works:

Seat #1 & 2 = 1st place seats -- you are up front with the pilot and get a front shot of all of the amazing views.

Seat #3 & 4 = 2nd place seats -- you are on the right side of the helicopter behind the couple sitting in the front. The helicopter flies in a clockwise route around the island, so the best sights are viewed from the right side. This is where my wife and I sat on the tour.

Seat #5 & 6 = 3rd place seats -- you are on the left side of the helicopter behind the pilot. You will find yourself trying to look out the right side window often, but the pilot does try to turn the helicopter to the left side so that they get views of the amazing sights as well...but when the pilot has to verbally say "Ok, I am now going to turn the helicopter so that the people on the left can get the same view" -- confirmation that the left side is the 3rd place seats.

The views from the tour are amazing. There are many parts of the island that you can only experience through helicopter. In my opinion, if you are paying the money to experience Kauai then you HAVE to take a helicopter tour just to experience the full beauty of this island. It is worth the money because you have no other option available to you to see the majestic views that Kauai offers...and you do not want to leave the island without seeing all that the island has to offer.

I am giving Blue Hawaii 5 stars because:

(1) You have to view the island by helicopter
(2) They were the company we selected

I did not take a 2nd helicopter tour so I cannot compare it to other outfitters. However, if I had an extra $600 to spend, then I would look into the 65 min tour on Jack Harter with "doors off" and only seats 4 people. Or I would look into the Jack Harter 95 min. tour that is $375/pp.

At the end of the day, the tour companies appear to fly similar patterns around the island so I have to imagine that they are all comparable to each other. The Blue Hawaii helicopters are supposed to be the most comfortable -- so if most of the tours are the same, and the only variable is the comfort, then you should select Blue Hawaii #1. If you want a different experience (ie: doors off on a smaller helicopter) then you should look into a different company.

Hope this helps!!