“Friendly staff”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
California
“Friendly staff”
Reviewed September 26, 2009

I chose this hotel because of its location and price. Only 5 min and $10 by taxi. I arrived late night but the front desk person took care of me well. The hotel has Wi-Fi but I couldn't connect the first night and I had to wait umtil the next morning to figure it out. The next morning, I asked the front desk person (different from last night) if he could help me get connected. Unfortunately he wasn't the person who set up the system so I had to wait a few more hours. In the meantime, he offered to let me use his own laptop to check my email! I've never experienced such a service. When the person who set up the system arrived, she was so helpful. She not only rebooted the modem and router for me but let me in her office to check their system by myself. Later I found out that It was my laptop which was causing trouble and I was able to fix and connect. It worked fine since then.
Of course this is not a luxury resort hotel, no ocean view but helpful and friendly staff are more than the ocean view. You can find the beautiful beaches all over the island anyway. :-)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank KZP089

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed September 9, 2009

Place was clean, Plenty of parking. Cool staff. Free wi-fi. Close to local and affordable restaurants. Nearby classic thrift store and Kauai Museum that is really cool. It has a nice indoor/outdoor patio room that is perfect for reading and socializing with fellow travelers. The location is key because you are close to the airport and all roads that lead to any attractions. Also nearby are stores for food and any needed goods. You feel like you are living in Hawaii when you are there. You don't feel like a tourist.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank sonsinimd
Kona, Big Island Hawaii
Reviewed March 23, 2009

First nite, got a room ground floor facing next to street,noisy and felt unsafe as a female traveling alone. Carpet very dirty. Next nite got a room upstairs facing the other way toward open field, nicer room and better quieter experience. Had myna bird singing on the palm tree with my windows open-had a nice cat visit too! will do in a pinch..

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank aloha_dixie
San Diego
Reviewed March 15, 2009

Spend a little more and go someplace else. We did not mind the very small room, the carpet was old and worn but clean. The bedding was fresh and the towels as well. The problem, unfortunately, is the element that's allowed to frequent the place. The management needs to monitor it's guests more diligently. We were there on a Thursday night, and were woken at 4:00 in the morning by a loud, rude group in one of the neighboring rooms. My companion went out to see what was going on, and one of the persons in the group was urinating into the courtyard. We could not wait to leave.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sstwinkle
KauaiPalmsHotel, Hotel Manager at Kauai Palms Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2009
Aloha from the Beautiful Garden Island!

We want to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experiences at the Kauai Palms Hotel. We appreciate the positive comments as well as the comments highlighting areas where we can improve.

The management and staff at the Kauai Palms care about your experiences when you stay with us and we want you to know we are listening. While the hotel was renovated in 2006, we are noticing a faster than expected wear in some of the rooms. To correct this situation, we are replacing worn and stained carpets, replacing curtains and re-painting where needed.

To ensure your satisfaction, safety and peace and quiet enjoyment of our property, we have hired a new manager, who has many years of experience in the hospitality industry and we are expanding our hotel security to include a night manager. We are commited to making the Kauai Palms Hotel a great place to stay at a great value.

We hope that you will accept our sincere apologies. Be assured that we are working diligently on the issues you have brought to our attention and we look forward to welcoming you back.

With Aloha,
kauai Palms Hotel Management
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed January 18, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Kauai Palms Hotel as a stepping stone to our timeshare rental. We stayed one night and that was more than plenty. I do not like to write negative reviews but, we both could not take the dirtiness of the place. There were cockroaches crawling about, the baseboards and curtains had old mold, dust and hair!! We arrived in Kauai and this was our first stop and we were too tired to look for something else. This may be a lower priced hotel. However, this is not a reason to have it in such bad condition. We did not even turn down the sheets to sleep in for fear of the roaches being inside and feeling the sheets may be dirty also. We had room 18. It was small and very uncomfortable for us. Needless to say, we got up early showered fast with water socks on and got out of there early in the morning and that was not fast enough.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Cockroaghes
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Phoenix Native
Aloha from the Beautiful Garden Island!

The management and staff at the Kauai Palms Hotel care about your experience when you stay with us and we want you to know that we are listening. While the hotel was renovated in 2006, we are noticing a faster than expected wear in some of the rooms. To correct this situation we are replacing worn and stained carpet and re-painting where needed.

Bugs and cockroaches are a reality of tropical environments and not necessarily indicative of unsanitary conditions. However, the Kauai Palms Hotel also understands that encountering a bug in your hotel room is disturbing. To that end, we contract with a local pest control service to keep our facility as bug free as possible.

Our housekeepers have been made aware of the issues in that room. We want you to know that we are implementing policies to ensure that our hotel meets the highest of cleanliness standards.

We have hired a new manager who has many years of experience in the hospitality industry to improve operations and service. We are committed to making the Kauai Palms Hotel a great place to stay at a great value.

With Aloha,

Kauai Palms Hotel Management
frozensky
Reviewed October 1, 2008

It's a relatively cheap hotel to stay at considering all the other hotels on the island cost more. It's got all the essentails you need, but it's certainly not luxury nor spotless.

I booked Room #25 at first, then they said they can only give me Room #1 because the room I wanted became a long-term rental. I asked if Room #1 also had a King size bed like Room #25, they said yes. But I discovered that it was only a Queen once I arrived. Their website mentioned they provide nice, upgraded mattress, but that's not true. The mattresses were old and limpy. The closet door also fell off when I tried to open it.

There was a small flat screen TV and extra blankets. They also provided Bath and Body Works Shampoo, Conditioner, and Bath Wash, which were nice touches.

• Liked — Flat screen TV and the soap, shampoo, conditioners provided
  • Disliked — mattress
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank frozensky
Honolulu, HI
Reviewed July 11, 2008

My husband and I decided to stay at the Kauai Palms hotel for 4 main reason, the location is very central to everything we planned to do, the price was right (we didn't travel to Kauai to stay at a hotel, we wanted to explore - so we didn't want to pay for many amenities we weren't going to be taking advantage of), the parking was free, and there was laundry facilities on site.

When we first go there we were a little shocked (it looks rough around the edges), but after unpacking and realizing that our room was bigger than an average hotel room and included a kitchenette, we were very pleased. Although our bathroom did not have a bath tub, it was HUGE!! Most hotel bathrooms are tiny, but this was was big and was a pleasant surprise.

Although I have read reviews saying it was noisy (I bought ear plugs, but never opened them), our room was not. We hardly heard the chickens or any of our neighbors. Our room was located next to the lobby, so we did hear the office phone ring a couple of times, but other than that it was quiet and very peaceful. Like we were in our own apartment.

The staff was very friendly and offered good recommendations for places to eat and beaches to go to. Hamura's is right behind and is a must, best saimin anywhere!

We decided that we are definitely going to return to Kauai and stay at the Kauai Palms Hotel. But, if you want a hotel with lots of amenities, this is not the place for you!

• Liked — central location, price, washer and dryer,
  • Disliked — No bath tub
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Benessie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Garden Island Inn
Aston Islander on the Beach
Hotel Coral Reef
Hotel Coral Reef
#3 of 11 in Kapaa

Been to Kauai Palms Hotel? Share your experiences!