“Would never stay here again!”
Review of Kauai Palms Hotel

Kauai Palms Hotel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Chicago, IL
“Would never stay here again!”
Reviewed December 26, 2007

We decided to stay here for a night since it is close to the airport and we were not arriving into Kauai until late. The room was dirty --- carpet covered in dirt and stains, and so were the sheets. We barely had room for two people to move around and the shower was so disgusting I just waited to shower at our next accomodations. To make the whole experience even worse, we woke up to the sounds of our neighbor being 'sick' and with the walls as thin as they were, we could hear everything and checked out as soon as we could get dressed.

We stayed at a charming inn the next night that ended up being about $25 more. I would have paid at least $100 to stay somewhere else!!! You can definitely find a much better budget priced lodging if you look around.

• Stayed December 2007
4 Thank shachi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
hawaii
Reviewed June 30, 2007

This is not a place that I would recommend to my friends...Room was very,very small. So much noise in the daytime as well as the night. No air conditioning very hot and muggy....Every morning their was a rooster crowing out side the window....The linen itself was clean looking till I pulled back the sheet and found a fairly large yellow stain....Had to wait till morning to ask for sheets to be changed...Coffe pot had not been cleaned something stuck in the bottom of pot had to scrub it myself...
What was more suprising is that the housekeepers are so bold that they even leave an envelope on your bed for you to tip them "everyday". I could see if they went out of there way to do something extra to make our stay less uncomfortable yes I would tip them daily. However,it did not work out that way...I never got the towels I asked for had to get them myself......The point is if you are looking for a nice relaxing place to stay that this is not the place. Spend the extra money it will be worth it..
S.Keaweehu & C.Hawkins

Stayed June 2007
6 Thank Sibellaz1
Point Reyes, California
Reviewed May 18, 2007

We read a good review of this hotel in Lihue and selected it for our last night in Kauai. Nothing fancy but we presumed adequate for a pleasant last night. It wasn't. The room was so small that it was claustrophobic. It was very, very, very small. The beds were hard and uncomfortable. It was horribly noisy. The acoustics were such that we heard every sound of the family next to us and it sounded like they were in the room with us. The mother screamed as did the children most of the evening and then again early the next morning. And there was also the incessant door slamming, again and again and again. The next morning there was construction ( and roosters) right next to our window.
There was no air conditioning, and we had to keep the windows open for air, what there was of it, so there was no way to keep out the sounds.
The towels had been washed but they still had hair on them.
This hotel seemed old and run down and was definitely off the beaten path, hidden on a side street in the old part of town (not picturesque). There was a hospital next door with occasional sirens. It was not anywhere near the water.
I suppose if someone is desperate it would work, but it was very uncomfortable and even a few hours in that very small space was unpleasant. I'm guessing the room was 12' x 8'.

• Liked — parking
  • Disliked — cramped space, noisy
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank waterratMarin
Alaska
Reviewed April 13, 2007

Stayed at the Kauia Palms for about 3 days. We had a studio type room with a kitchenette for $95 bucks a day. The rooms are very nicely decorated/renovated and very clean, had a decent view of the mountains from the back. The staff was very courtious and knowledgable about good places to go on the island. The only downside is the traffic noise during the day and evenings, for light sleepers you may need earplugs. The new owners did a great job. Overall it is a very nice clean and friendly place to stay.

• Liked — Clean and Affordable
  • Disliked — Traffic noise
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank billybop90
Lihue
Reviewed February 13, 2007

We stayed at the Kauai Palms Hotel for about a week. We just loved it there. The staff were just wonderful friendly people. If you have a question about almost anything on the island they usually have the answer for it, and if they don't they're very resoucrceful in getting the answer. The Housekeepers were friendly and very polite and wouldn't knock on your door till about 10:30 am. The Hotel is a very tropical place, from the outside, to the lobby to your room. If your looking for a place to rest your head at night after a long day of sightseeing around the island this is the place. The rooms are kinda small but for the price you can't go wrong, specially if your only going to sleep and shower and then out the door again to explore the BEAUTIFUL island. And the best part about the Hotel is that it's about 5 min away from everything in every direction. Like the Airport, the Mall, K-Mart, Wal-mart, Costco, the Famous Hamura's Saimin, and about 15 other places to eat at. It's cheap, nice and, centrally located.

• Liked — Cheap
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank wehi4
San Fran
Reviewed January 17, 2007

Needed a place near airport and hospital for a week. Easy to get to, centrally located, safe for my 4 year old and her big bro. Nice folks at desk(for once on Kauai) and good pricing. No smoking rooms are a bonus big time. They actually smell clean.

• Liked — Price was just right
  • Disliked — smoking area too close to rooms
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank inbusiness4good2007
Traveler
Reviewed October 28, 2006

This is a very nice, clean hotel with very nice staff but it is NOISY.

I was awakened at 2:15 am by the tv in the room next to mine on at full volume on the weather report. The guest on the other side of this room had gone to get a manager and I had called the manager. Later I learned that there is no manager after 9 pm.
I called 911 because pounding on the door did not get a response. Finally, the noise subsided after I pounded really hard. Unfortunately, my loud pounding woke a guest upstairs. I spoke to the gentleman with the loud tv the next morning. He said he'd forgotten to take his insulin and it was very lucky I'd kept pounding. I woke him up and he took his insulin. I felt closure with the incident.

It was later that morning when the long-term guests got up early and started slamming doors, smoking cigarettes in the hall, and having loud conversations with the maid--on Sunday--that I lost patience.

I called the front desk and suggested that a lounge area be created away from the windows of this unairconditioned 'no smoking in the rooms' hotel.

I do plan to stay here a second night and perhaps again in the future. I hope management will consider making changes to cut down on unnecessary noise.

• Liked — Cleanliness and Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank YaoJin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Garden Island Inn
Aston Islander on the Beach
Hotel Coral Reef
Hotel Coral Reef
#3 of 11 in Kapaa

Been to Kauai Palms Hotel? Share your experiences!