Stayed for 5 nights in May. Beautiful property; well-groomed grounds; fabulous pool. Hotel rooms very clean but very standard -- inside, you could be in any Marriott anywhere in the U.S. It certainly didn't feel Hawaii specific.
That said, you get what you pay for. W/our Marriott Rewards membership our rate for a pool-view room was $249 + taxes. We just weren't willing to pay nearly double that for the Hyatt. We thought it was an overall good value -- kind of like a Consumer Reports Best Buy rating -- not the most bells & whistles, but works reliably and well.
Service -- All staffers we met were helpful, friendly, very responsive and eager to accomodate. Esp. front desk, who agreed to move us to a higher floor after our first night. (Our first room, also pool-view, was on the second floor up from ground level, directly across from a well-traveled path to the pool, affording no privacy on our balcony.) On our second day (nothing was available the night we checked in) we were moved to the same category room on the third floor from the top -- views of the ocean and pool were much better and we could enjoy a.m. coffee in our hotel-provided bathrobes.
Location: After a grueling, 16+ hour flight from the East Coast, it was nice to hop on a 5-minute shuttle from airport to hotel and check right in.
Pool/Jacuzzis: So entertaining/relaxing, esp. the latter after a long, active day of snorkeling or kayaking. It's very over-the-top, but it's a lot of fun!
Cost: Like any resort, so food/drinks are EXPENSIVE. Suck it up when it's convenient, like @ the pool bar/grill when you're enjoying the sun and just buy elsewhere where you can. Such as: If you get a car, stop @ the WalMart 5 mins away to buy bottled water, snacks, beer/wine for your room.
Nickle/diming: We know hotels need to make money, but we think it's a little silly to rent pool floats for $5/hr when there's so many sitting unused in a rack and certainly enough for all guests to enjoy. We rented a float the first day and enjoyed it, but bought inflatables @ WalMart the next day (we saw other people w/them) for less $ and enjoyed them even more.
Local kids hanging out on-site: My husband and I were soaking in the Jacuzzi one evening when a teenage boy joined us. Thinking he was vacationing w/his parents, we started speaking w/him, only to find out he was an 8th grader from Lihue! He told us teenagers regularly go pool-hopping @ the Marriott in the evenings and pointed out a few other girls in another jacuzzi.
We know the property is easily accessible by foot from the Anchor Cove shopping area, but hotel management should do a better job of enforcing a guests-only policy. We couldn't believe they'd allow unaccompanied teens to consort with hotel guests in hottubs!
Neutral (for us)
Beach: W/so many fabulous beaches (Annini, Secret Beach, Tunnels) don't spend all your time here and then complain it's not all that great. Head out to see the real Kauai!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Known for its warm island hospitality and idyllic location on the Garden Isle, the Kauai Marriott Resort on Kalapaki Beach underwent a $50 million upgrade, with major enhancements to all its guestrooms, suites, restaurants and pool deck. Unique among hotels in Kauai, our resort sits on Kalapaki Bay and offers a wide variety of recreational activities, a superior beach experience and 18 holes of Jack Nicklaus championship golf at the adjacent Kauai Lagoons Golf Club. Business travelers will enjoy our 5 Star Hotel's 20,230 sq ft of flexible meeting and event space in Kauai. Guests traveling for pleasure will enjoy one of the largest family-friendly pools in Hawaii and our spacious 5 star hotel rooms, most of which offer spectacular views and feature a balcony. Pamper yourself with a luxurious spa treatment at our hotel's on-site Alexander Spa and Salon. Discover a leader in style and service among Kauai hotels and resorts and enjoy breathtaking beachfront views at the Kauai Marriott Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Marriott, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelsClick, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Kaua'i Marriott Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Kauai Hotel Lihue
- Marriott Kauai Hotel Beach
- Marriott Lihue
- Lihue Marriott
- Marriotts Kauai Beach Club
- Kaua'i Marriott Resort Kauai, HI