“Pretty Placde”

Kaua'i Marriott Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Reviewed April 13, 2007

Room was large and had a great view of the bay and palm trees. We were shocked but amused to see a huge cruise ship come into what we thought was a small boat harbor. My only negatives about this lovely spot is that it is VERY confusing to find your way around - it is not at all obvious where to register if you arrive at the valet parking entrance and we got turned around a couple of times coming back to our room from the beach or pool. Also, the food situation isn't great if you depend on the Kukui Room - buffet breakfast > $20, dinner > $35. We had more fun by doing breakfast at the Beach Hut a few steps away or going into town and having sublime pancakes at the Tip Top Motel. We had a fine meal at Cafe Portofino on property as well as fun grub at Duke's downstairs (bar menu). The location of the hotel is great - equally distant from North and South shore sites. The concierges were quite helpful and pointed us to a very low-key singalong at the Island School which was one of the highlights of the trip.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank atlantaresident
Write a ReviewReviews (2,851)

Reviewed April 9, 2007

Lobby and arrival area are beautiful, but once you get to the rooms, this is a pretty tired property. Looks very 70's isch from the pool area and up to the balcony, which reminds me of the old Holiday Inns you stopped at as a kid while driving in the family wagon to Florida!

We arrived at 11:30am, which we knew was early for the the 4 pm check in, we didn't expect a room right away, but we were made to wait 4 hours for a room. As a Marriott Platinum member a room should have been made ready in less then four hours. When I asked after two hours how much longer I was told check in is at 4 pm, unless I want to upgrade for an additional $50/night to a room that was available now, I would probably be waiting until 4. Front desk staff seemed board and uninterested in serving anyone, there was a wait of about 10 minutes before being waited on by one of the two desk staff - this is an unusually long wait at a Marriott front desk. Pool is large and the kids love it, but there were absolutely no lounge chairs available, and also very little shade. The pool hut where you get the towels is staffed by a burly, rude, and very unfriendly contractor - he did not appear to be a Marriott employee but rather an employee of the company that rents the swim toys out and sells the sunscreen. When I asked for four towels (for my family of three) he said I could only have three - Give me a break, If I want 4, 6, or 8, I should not get an a lecture that I don't need 4 towels (we stayed at the Ko Olina Beach club early in the week, they actually brought you more towels when the ones you were using were wet - now that property knows service!). I sent a note to the General Manager of the property (a vary polite note expressing the concerns I had) but I never heard from him. To his defense I sent the note on Sunday morning and we checked at at noon on Monday, so perhaps he did not read it before we left. Hawaii is the trip of a life time for many people, I would not recommend the Marriott Kauai Resort for a once in a lifetime trip. As someone else said, if your burning reward points fine, but I would not pay for this place.

Stayed: April 2007
6  Thank RWSPAS
Reviewed April 3, 2007

My husband and I stayed there for an entire week in March. We both loved the resort. We had requested a pool view with a king bed and a lanai and had been told that they would make note of it, but not make any promises. When we arrived they were able to fulfill all of those requests without any difficulty. The staff was always friendly and helpful. Yes, there was construction going on while we were there, but we never heard a sound from it. We ate at all of the restaurants at the resorts except Portofino's and we were very happy with each of them. Prices were high, but no different than at any other resort or even most other restaurants on the island. we were able to hear an occaissional plane from the nearby airport, but it's not like you were staying next to O'Hare. We may have heard 2-3 planes a day. The roosters which roam all over the island were more of an annoyance than the airplanes. The central loaction was wonderful. It was very easy to get anywhere else on the island, that being said, I can't imagine staying as far north as Princeville. All in all, we had a great time and we'd be more than happy to go back tomorrow.

Stayed: March 2007
3  Thank shannonmesser
Reviewed April 3, 2007

We stayed in ocean front rooms 312 and 311 the week of April 25 and I can't say enough wonderful things about this resort. The beds were as comfortable as I've ever slept in, the rooms were clean, views amazing, and the service was terrific (except the lines at the front desk could sometimes be long). My ten year old daughter had a great time at their Kalapaki Kids Club (although there weren't many other children in attendance) and could have easily spent every minute at the magnificent pool.

I enjoyed strolling the grounds, laying on the beach, relaxing in hammocks, and lounging on the lanai.

We ate at Duke's several times (the fish tacos and thai pizza were the best), and at the Kukui's buffet for brunch once & King Crab dinner another time. The only bad thing I can say about the food is that we ate too much of it!

The location was great, too. Central to both north and south shores, which we checked out on different days. Still we liked our little beach and sprawling resort the best.

Oh, and if you stay here, tell the adorable bellhop named Leroy that the gals from NM said "Hi Smiles" :-)

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank andialeigh
Reviewed April 1, 2007

But we really didn't spend much time here. My wife and I went for out Honeymoon the first weekend of January and thought the place was gorgeous. We stayed in the "Ocean View Room" which had a nice view of the bay even though it was partially obscured by palm trees. We booked it online through Orbitz. It was clean and didn't smell like some people complained and the construction was minimal while we were there. Both Kukui's and Duke's restaurants were nice. Overpriced but not out of range for any sit down restaurant on Kauai. The thing was, Kauai was so gorgeous and had so much to offer that we really didn't spent too much time at the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SJShaxfan
Reviewed March 29, 2007

We've stayed here 4 or 5 times now. Everything is great although I would say it's not in as good shape as in the past. As someone else commented the pool could use more chairs although been places where they have too many! Also can't stand the jerks that put a towel and hat or something personnal on their chairs at 8 in the morning and return to use it at 2!! Had some old hag get mad a me for taking her chairs. We only eat a the poolside grill, w/ 2 small kids I'm too cheap to pay $8-10 for a burger that dosn't get finished. Rooms are always nice and everyone friendly. Good luck Big D from WISC.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank dclhomes
Reviewed March 29, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott in Kauai for one week at the end of October 2006 for our honeymoon. It was absolutely amazing!!! If you are considering this hotel, definitely stay here...you won't be sorry.

The pool is huge and you can spend many countless hours sitting by it. There is a small restaurant/grill outside near the pool and waitresses will come by to take food and drink orders. The prices can get a little high so if you're trying to save money, make a stop at the local WalMart and stock up on drinks. We requested a fridge for our room and received it with no problem and no extra charge (great for keeping those drinks cold!). Just make sure to put it in a plastic cup before going to the pool as glass bottles aren't allowed...we brought two coffee travel mugs with us which worked great for this purpose.

The beach is nice to walk on and look at the waves but we didn't spend much time sun bathing or swimming.

One night a week one of the hotel restaurants has a buffet with all you can eat prime rib and crab legs. It's expensive but so worth it! We still talk about that dinner many months later!!!

Since we were staying at this hotel for our honeymoon (we told them that when we booked), they had a nice surprise of complimentary champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us upon arrival. Very impressive touch!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Melinda Y
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Kaua'i Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!