“Nice hotel for families, not for honeymooners”

Kaua'i Marriott Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Nice hotel for families, not for honeymooners”
Reviewed June 11, 2005

This was the last stop on our honeymoon... and we were pretty disappointed with our experience. Our biggest disappointment was with the service. Coming from 2 great hotels in Maui and Lanai, the Marriott did not live up to our expectations. Upon arriving to the hotel in our rental car with 4 suitcases, we had the valet ask if we would like to handle our own luggage. From there it just seemed as if we were constantly waiting around for help. The hotel was extremely busy with a convention and kids and there was really no personalization to the experience. The next time we go back to Kauai, we will definetely be staying at the Hyatt!!

4 Thank Stacey C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (705)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
PA
Reviewed June 1, 2005

Obviously, if you are going to Kaui or Hawaii in general, then you expect to spend a lot of money. This resort was expensive as are all the resorts. I stayed here from 5/23 - 5/30. I thought it was nice in general. The people here were extremely nice. Service by the pool was slower than other resorts I have stayed at in the past. My only suggestion is determine where and what you want to do things in Kaui. Seemed like we spent a lot of time driving to the Poipu area as there is not much around this hotel. If you are looking for a place with good food and generaly good service and want to sit by a pool all day, this is your place. The beach was not much to speak of. It is actually more of a bay than the ocean. I would not recommend this hotel to the die hard beach goer.

4 Thank hurricanebob
Reviewed June 1, 2005

I'll make this short and sweet....The hotel is WAY overpriced for what you get. The grounds are nice, but the rooms are horrible!! We had to switch rooms twice because of the smell. It smelled terrible of mold and mildew and was...well....let's just say neither room was very clean! I complained to management and even filled out a poor survey to the Marriott. They were less than sympathetic. I would definately think twice before booking this hotel. I have also stayed at the Marriott Waiohai and it was MUCH nicer!

• Stayed February 2005
4 Thank Luv2Go2Duluth
Reviewed May 23, 2005

We stayed at the Marriott in Lihue, Kauai from May 6-14, 2005 as a family vacation with our sons, age 2 and 9. My husband and I had been to Hawaii before, we stayed at the Mauna Lani Bay Resort on the Big Island, and had thought that no place could rival Mauna Lani....until we stayed at the Marriott.

Location itself is VERY convienent - it's such a sort jaunt to the airport! No excuse for missing flights! Other posters complained about air traffic. Come on, this is Kauai, not Dulles in D.C. There is an occasional plane, but it's not disruptive in the least. The only reason I even took notice to a plane or helicopter was that they were being pointed out by my fascinated 2 yr. old. The location is also convienent for sightseeing. It's approximately in the middle of everything you'd like to see on the island.

The grounds of the resort are beautiful and plush. The chickens are an interesting addition. The roosters do their cock-a-doddle-do, but it's not loud enough to wake anyone from a slumber.

Room - We had an ocean/pool view and were extremely please. We had an amazing view of the gorgeous pool, as well as the beach. The rooms were VERY clean and seemed recently renovated.

Pool - We cannot say enough about the pool. It is absolutely HUGE! It's all the same depth (4'something), and even when the resort is busy, the pool doesn't get crowded. The fountains that spray into the pool are fun, too. There's an island lounge chair area in the middle that is accessed by a bridge across the pool. My 2 year old also enjoyed the baby pool. There are cabana lounge chairs for 2 people spaced nicely around the pool that can be reserved and used for a fee. After 2:00 pm, they are 1/2 price. We had one for 1/2 day so my younger son could nap in the shade. It's open from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM. Swims by the light of the tiki torches is a nice way to cool off and end a day.

Beach - There's been some bad press about the beach on this site. It almost made me skeptical about coming to the Marriott. The only thing bad about the beach is that it's a little too silty to snorkel. No fault of the resort, it's just the way the shore line is set up. You can rent canoes, body boards, snorkel gear, etc. at the little shop just past the Duke's restauant along the beach. Although we drove to Poipu Beach and Lydgate State Park to snorkel (both excellent!), we still rented our snorkel gear from the hotel. There are waves at the beach - not huge in front of the hotel, but big enough to surf down beach a little.

Restaurants - There are a few restaurants on-site that I want to note:

- Kuku's Poolside Restuarant & Bar - Great breakfast buffet. It seemed a little pricy at first to us, but after we thought about it, we couldn't beat the price. My 2 yr. old ate free, and my 9 yr. cost a $1 with an adult. We couldn't beat that, even with the ala carte continental breakfast. Make sure to hit the omelet station! Kuku's also has a popular dinner prime rib and crab leg buffet on Friday and Sat. nights. Very yummy.

- Kalapaki Bar & Grill - Located between the pool and beach, open from 11 AM - 5 PM. Serve lunch/bar sort of food and drinks. Food is good, drinks are better...

- Duke's - Along the beach for dinner. Pretty casual, noted as a barefoot bar. Very good, gets busy. I had the ribs w/ some sort of mango bbq sauce - excellent.

Staff - Every staff member that we encountered treated us excellent. We felt right at home.

Golf - My husband played a round at the Kiele Course, the "nicer" of the two resort course, in his opinion. He rented clubs and had a fantastic round. A Jack Nicklaus designed course, it is a par 72, 7,070-yard course that hosted the 1991 PGA Grand Slam of Golf. My husband did some research and found that in 1996, Golf Digest ranked Kiele among the country's to 75 upscale courses; while The Golfer proclaimed Kiele one of Hawaii's 10 finest courses. I didn't play, but he had a nice round.

Anyway - we had an amazing time! The resort is excellent for families as well as couples looking for a romantic haven. I noticed a nice mix of vacationing people.

• Stayed May 2005
27 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 15, 2005

Our favorite of 3 islands and 3 hotels. Amazing! Everything was perfect.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 8, 2005

I spent sooo long researching the hotels in Kauai to find our perfect honeymoon destination and I think the Marriott Kauai Beach Club is definitely one of the best on the island.

I would say The Hyatt would probably be THE best, the grounds are definitely the most luxurious, although it doesn’t have a beach location so this would have been a downside for us - oh and the fact we couldn’t afford it!!!

The Sheraton was another front runner for us but we went to see this while on the island and it really isn’t a patch on the Marriott - I would have been really disappointed in fact - mainly because as the reviews do mention you are literally across the road if you go for a standard room, and it really doesn’t have the luxurious wow factor feel of the Marriott.

The Marriott really does have a beautiful pool area and I found the bay/beach area really picturesque it was picture postcard, not very wide but for us it was fine. it was lovely to be in the pretty bay and the sea in general was very calm. The rooms are nice too - spacious and clean. We were given champagne and strawberries covered in chocolate as congratulations. Every night our sheets were turned back and a Hawaiian myth or message was left on our pillow with flowers, this was a lovely touch I have kept all of our messages to put in our honeymoon album.

We hired a car; having bought a guidebook I was a women on a mission to see the whole island. I am sooo glad we did this, the east side of the island is really quite cloudy in comparison to the west, it really was unbelievable we would set out under thick cloud and sometimes even rain and half an hour away we would arrive to clear blue skies and brilliant sunshine. I would recommend staying on the west - or at least the south if you plan to do a lot of sun bathing. The beaches to the west are beautiful - wide, sandy and pretty empty. With the help of the guide book (it was actually stuck to my hand most of the time) we found Jo-Jo's shaved ice, The Shrimp Station some beautiful waterfalls and really remote beaches that I think we otherwise would have completely missed.

Just a mention on eating out - Dukes is a must - you can eat here quite cheaply if you want to, its so close and has a very traditional Hawaiian feel to it, its also open quite late in comparison to most of the other restaurants. I loved the Italian next door too. For a more romantic expensive night out I would really recommend Gaylord’s- beautiful setting and beautiful food. In general we found it quite expensive to eat and everyone eats really early - we saw people going to dinner at 5pm??!! On our first night we went out at 8.30 and they sweeping under our feet rushing to get us out by 9.30.The dining experience all feels very rushed in Hawaii, which I find odd as I have no idea where these people are being rushed off to, no one goes out after dinner, not that we were looking for night life because for us the meal is our evening but it was impossible to make this last. Your main courses were bought up in some cases before you had finished your starter at the very least before your plates had been cleared. This meant that I was always full when the main course cam and we were in bed by 9.30!! (It was our honeymoon I suppose!)

• Stayed March 2005
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 25, 2005

We stayed here from April 8-15th. The hotels grounds are to die for. Just beautiful!! The room was very nice. Not a dump ! There are a few, minor things that could be fixed , but in no way is it a dump. The resort grounds make up for any imperections you may have in your room. People that say this is a dump are without any doubt, people that expect complete perfection. This resort is very nice. wonderful grounds, beautiful pool (although it is not heated...alittle cool in early spring). YOU GO TO KAUAI TO RELAX AND HAVE FUN, NOT TO JUST SIT IN YOUR ROOM AND PICK OUT THE IMPERFECTIONS!!
BOTTOM LINE: The room is typical of most marriotts. The grounds are the nicest around. Location is great!!!! You hardly ever hear the airport. I maybe noticed it twice- the whole week! You will love it, if you enjoy beauty and understand nothing is PERFECT. This resort is clean and beautiful. You will not have anything to worry about! (unless you are too uptight to enjoy your vacation ) Go and enjoy yourself!

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Kaua'i Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!