“Gorgeous, Lush property...rooms lacked!”

Kaua'i Marriott Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Gainesville, Virginia
“Gorgeous, Lush property...rooms lacked!”
Reviewed August 17, 2004

My husband and I spend 4 nights here on our honeymoon this past April. This property is absolutely GORGEOUS! Sooo lush and tropical. Exactly what you think of when you think "Hawaii"! The rooms, however, were a bit outdated and on the noisy side. And the service was somewhat slow as well. In defense, however, of the Kauai Marriott, it is a sprawling hotel...absolutely HUGE so it's kind of to be expected that service would be slow.

Can't beat the pool/beach area of the Kauai Marriott! Breathtaking, refreshing!

Our main problem here was that part of the hotel is a timeshare so whenever we needed to call the frontdesk for anything they always asked US if we were timeshare of hotel guests and then they'd have to look up what we were entitled to. (Breakfast included? Drink coupons included? ) They had to bring a coffee maker up to us b/c apparently they aren't typically in the timeshare rooms and they put us in a timeshare room by accident. So that was a bit strange.

Overall, we'd go there again, but in comparison to the Princeville Resort we were very disappointed in the service and rooms at the Marriott.

(PS....the hotel is very close to the airport however we didn't notice any annoying airplane noise.)

3 Thank Jeff B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kerman, Ca
Reviewed August 15, 2004

Just returned from the Kauai Marriott, Its great trust me I did the same thing you are doing right now, reading one review after another trying to figure why 1 person out of 7 write a bad review.Some people just cant enjoy a vacation plain and simple. We went to the Princeville and the Hyatt to see if we had made the wrong choice and I can tell you the view at the marriott is second to none. The beach is great, Dukes is the place to eat. end of story
A very happy Trip Advisor reader for the second year your readers have helped us pick the right place thanks

15 Thank Richard R
Pittsburgh PA
Reviewed August 10, 2004

This was our second stay at this hotel. The first was in the late 1980's when it was under a different hotel name.

We returned to this hotel due to the fond memories we had back then. We have always like and trusted the Marriott name, knowing that we will pay more, but it is worth it.

We hate to sound like we didnt like the stay at this hotel. It was a very nice stay, but compared to other hotels on the island, this was overpriced and lacked the bang for the buck that others we visited had.
Marriott has a fine name, and in most cases, you can not go wrong picking one of their properties.

This however, did not equate to the cost to stay.

The hotel was scaled down, dramtically, from the last time we stayed.

If you go outside of the immediate area, you will find buildings that have been closed down(downsized) near the golf courses, as well as the buildings on the ground showing wear and tear that 20+ years brings.

The beachfront was excellent, but the staff was under our approval rating.

At their in house resturant, We waited nearly 35 minutes to get waited on, only to end up leaving for Dukes down the path.
We brought theis to the attention of the manager on duty, and she "could not do anything about the wait or lack of service"

Maybe we were expecting to much, but that is what the Marriott name represents to us.

We do not plan to return to this Marriott property.
We are sorry, Mr Marriott, but this property does not live up to the Marriott name and reputation you have built.

• Stayed July 2004
6 Thank mrdoug411
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 6, 2004

Lets just say when we arrived at the Marriott Hotel in Kaui, and got off the escalator down to lobby we were in awe! This hotel is truly magnificent! The pool is huge, and there are 5 hot tubs. We never felt crowded amongst the many other travelers there. The pool is right next to ocean and beach, just around 20 feet away. There are 5 restaurants in hotel. We were on our honeymoon, and to our suprise had 3 beautiful hawiian ladys sing and play guitar for us at dinner one evening. Not only is hotel nice, but the room was great. I have never stayed at a hotel which such a nice bed. The mattress was very soft and the bed had a down comforter. The room had safe to lock up valuables, the bathroom was very spacious, the list goes on and on. We highly recommend this hotel, our view was wonderful. We stayed on 24th floor, but I dont think the view would be disappointing from anywhere. If staying with kids, maybe a ground floor where you can walk out of patio door to oool side would be great. The island of Kauai was very relaxing and its fairly small and easy to get to sightseeing spots.

frbill92@hotmail.com
Reviewed August 3, 2004

I spent five delightful nights at the Marriott Beach Resort. I had a wonderful time. The room was beautiful, over-looking the garden area. The only problem is that it was across from the guest laundry area--a bit noise at night when people gathered to wash out swim suits and towels and visited right outside my door. The pool area is spectacular. I had a beach lounge chair located between the pool and ocean and spent a couple of days reading and enjoying the beautiful view. The pool side service excellent; they served delicious luncheon treats and tropical drinks. The hotel is only about a mile from the excellent shops and the mall. I would return to this beautiful hotel without hesitation.

1 Thank Frbill92
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 2, 2004

Before I saw it, I didn't think too much of it. The description says a "resort 5 minutes from the airport," so how good can it be to have to listen to planes whizzing by every 5 minutes.

But I take back every word of what I was thinking. It's a beautiful resort, huge, and quite impressive. Gigantic pool and NO noise from the airport!

We were honeymooners using our Marriott membership points and they upgraded us to an ocean front suite. How great is that?

I had my heart set on staying at the Hyatt in Poipu, but after visiting both properties . . . I truly loved where the Marriott was situated and I just fell in love with their property. It made our honeymoon that much more memorable. If you decide to go there, you'll love it, too.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas
Reviewed July 24, 2004

My husband and I stayed at this resort the beginning of May ( four nights,five days) for our 2nd year wedding anniversary and absolutely loved it! We are both 30 years old/no children and travel extensively (all beach locations). We always stay at either 4 or 5 star hotels and look for the perfect blend of activity and relaxation - this hotel definately has it. There are so many things that we loved about this hotel, but by far the pool is the most magnificent feature!! You can tell this from all the pictures on the internet. The rooms are large, clean, and light-filled. The staff extremely friendly and helpful. The grounds are spacious and immaculate - love all the ducks/fishes in the various ponds with waterfalls. The restraunts are great, including Duke's and a fabulous breakfast buffet. Also, the fitness center is very large, clean, and well equipped. Another huge plus to this hotel compared to other high-end hotels on the island, i.e.-Hyatt and the two 5star hotels in Princeville, is the great location, it simply cannot be beat. We actually ate at all the fine dining restraunts at the hotels mentioned above, which were great (beautiful views), however were still glad we were at the Mariott. By the way, you will not here any planes despite the close location. The airport is so small and not many flights. We never heard any in our 5 days. The only thing I will tell you about this hotel compared to the others mentioned above, is that the lobby,etc. is not overly opulent as is the Hyatt. However, I feel the rest of the resort, esp. the pool more than makes up for it!! Without exaggerating, the pool is by far one of the best I've ever seen! And I'm extremely picky when it comes to these things. I think this hotel would be perfect for any age and for families and couples alike. I talked to many guests/visitors in Kauai who agreed with me that this is the nicest Mariott they've ever stayed in. This is by far not your typical Mariott catering to only business travelers. I almost forgot: The beach, the beach, the beach: wonderful, great view of the mountains as well. We had a partial ocean view on the 6th floor that overlooked the pool, beach, and mountains - could not have been any better, even in an ocean view room. Will definately return to this hotel!!! (Also see Westin review in Maui- Great!!) Also recommend Air Kauai for helicopter tours and eating at Gaylord's.

8 Thank travelinspiration
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club

Been to Kaua'i Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!