“Good all-around family resort”

Kaua'i Marriott Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Northville, Michigan
“Good all-around family resort”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Our family of 4 recently visited the Marriott Kauai - great experience overall. All the facilities you could possibly need (restaurants, fitness, activities, beach). In particular, we loved the beach - for our kids (9 & 11), this was perfect in that it had enough waves to make it interesting but not so much to be dangerous. I can't say that about all beaches in Kauai. Room was nothing special(circa 1980's) - but was clean and had what we needed. Good walking distance to restaurants, equipment rental, shops, etc. Nice activities like fish feeding, and hula lessons. Mild irritation was the $30 resort fee (per night) charged by Marriott - how is this not simply added into the daily rate if nearly everyone has to pay this?

Tip - you can save a lot of money by simply making a quick run to nearby Costco so you can make your own coffee and bagels rather than paying $15 per person for breakfast each day.

2 Thank 682TomK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We regretted choosing this hotel. There were positives - the pool was very large, there is direct access to a safe beach, towel service and cleanliness around the pool was good and transfer from airport was less than 10mins. The hotel's communal areas are pretty and well kept, spacious and inviting. Sadly the rest of the hotel failed miserably. Corridors to rooms are dated and in need of renovations. Net curtains on windows are filthy. Rooms are basic, cleans are hit and miss and room service terrible. Food and service at the hotel was VERY disappointing. Staff at the resort restaurant, Kukui's are so rude. Plain and simple. Breakfast was basic and rushed, no eye contact - in and out appears to be the mantra. The front of house lady should not be in the service industry. Awful lady. Awful service. Steer clear. But if you chose the Marriott - there's not a lot else to offer you. And that's the problem, and perhaps our mistake, but think carefully before you book. It's a corporate bubble. No Hawaiian welcome, helpfulness and positive attitude other areas on the island offer. Nobody knows who you are or cares. Not even the person who serves you EVERY day because it's a turnover hotel to the masses that fails on customer service every day. Once you leave the resort you will see better beaches, better restaurants and a service that will far out weigh anything you will get here. If you are debating between here and Poipou chose Poipou. Every time. Or the north shore. Or east. Not Lihue. Not the Marriott. And if the manger choses to leave me a reply inviting me to contact him to discuss my dissatisfaction I would suggest he/she puts more effort in while clients are present. The opportunities were there...

7 Thank StormLoch
Marc W, Manager at Kaua'i Marriott Resort, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Aloha!
Thank you so much for your comments about yoru recent visit to the Kauai Marriott Resort. I am sorry that your stay with us was less than spectacular. We are determined to accurately rememdy your concerns as well as take care of our present and future guests. I would love the opportunity to talk to you in greater detail about your experience. Please contact me at marc.walz@marriott.com or call me directly at (808) 246-5178. I look forward to hearing from you! Mahalo!
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Overall the hotel was nice, although it could use a few cosmetic updates. The staff was very professional, and the nearby restaurants were good. Location on Lihue was not ideal as we had to drive to locations with beaches and activities on sunnier parts of the island. Overall I would recommend this hotel if you are interested in staying on the Lihue area.

• Stayed April 2014
Aloha!
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback and for being our guest. We appreciate your comments as we are always looking at ways to improve. Many of our past guests find our central island location to be convenient as we love to encourage our visitors to explore the many beautiful beaches and sites Kauai has to offer. Should you have any questions or would like recommendations about some of the surrounding areas, I would be happy to assist. Please feel free to contact me directly at (808) 246-5178. Again, much mahalo for staying with us!!!
Benicia, California
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Our family just got back from an 8 day stay and it was fairly comparable to all of the other Marriott Hotels, nothing really unusual. The pool is pretty and impressive from afar, but close up there was black mold in all of the grout in the pool and 5 hot tubs, but I am afraid if the black mold was power washed out the grout would fall out also and then so would a lot of the tiles which have already been patched. There were a couple of underwater lights that fell out of the wall and dangling in the water. We went to the concierge to find out where some of the programs were scheduled and we were always directed to the Owner's Lounge no matter what. Sometimes it was there and sometimes it was scheduled elsewhere, so it was a hit and miss type of thing.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view...obviously.
Green Features: I think they are the same practices at all the Marriott's that we have been to.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Liz C, Front Office Manager at Kaua'i Marriott Resort, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Aloha! Thank you for your feedback regarding our resort, especially the conditions in which you found our pool area. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss it further with you. Please feel free to contact me directly a the resort. Mahalo!
Huntington, New York
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I loved this place. When we arrived, it didn't start out well. DH had called and made reservations for a room with 2 double beds 9 months prior to our visit. When we arrived after an exhausting flight we were told the only room available had a double bed and a pull out couch. For the money we were spending, and the fact we had reserved this by telephone so many months prior, I was not going to sleep on a pull out couch. We had to be firm to get our room changed the next day which was accomplished, but not without angst. The hotel clerk informed my husband that he was displacing someone else from a room with 2 double beds! Thankfully the resort was so beautiful that we quickly forgot this and today I cannot even remember the room we stayed in our first night there.

I loved the resort, but our beds were waaaaaaay too soft. While I was sad to leave after our week there, I was not sad to part with our mushy mattresses. Our room did not have any view to speak of, but we weren't there to sit in the room and look out the window. I loved the Kauai Coffee even better than Kona coffee, and they replenished it in the room daily. The sliding door bathroom that did not provide complete privacy was a bit odd--I don't know why they couldn't just install a regular door! This made for many humorous times although my pre-teens did not seem to find them that funny.

I loved that this resort was on Kalapaki beach--we had heard the Poipu beaches were nicer, but you needed to take a shuttle or drive to them from the south shore hotels. We all enjoyed the pool and the beach and the hot tubs. Although the beach is small it never felt crowded, and the waves were just the right size for my kids. The proximity to the airport was never an issue, and I thought the columnar architecture was gorgeous.

We enjoyed Kalua Pork Quesadillas and Aupaka Coladas at the poolside Kalapaki Grill. We loved having breakfast (oatmeal brulee!) in the outdoor restaurant, Kukui's. We enjoyed cocktails every evening at the outdoor bar, Toro Tei.

The resort was so pretty I could not stop taking pictures! A minor drawback is when you drive into the parking lot, you see the "working" part of the resort, but this is really minor.

I loved the beauty of this resort, the good food we enjoyed here, nice service, and the fact we could go from the pool to the beach in a few short steps. Best. Vacation. Ever.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank fireflymd
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 16, 2014

The Kauai Marriott is our favorite resort in Kauai. We've been there three times and actually are going back in May for a week. We trade our time shares on Interval and whenever this resort pops up, we grab it. We otherwise would give it a 5 but have one major issue and, it isn't just with this resort, but most resorts...that is the pool policy with respect to children. My wife and I do not travel with children and we're fine with them around as long as they are not running around unattended and screaming or putting themselves in danger.

However, we are often put in danger of bacteria and contamination as the Hotel/Time Share does not sufficiently advise guests of proper pool policies for children. Specifically, I mostly am addressing hot tub policy. First, there should be clearly designated "Adults Only" hot tubs. There are enough of these at this resort to designate several as "Adults only." Second, no children under 13 should be permitted in a hot top unaccompanied by an adult. Third, no children under 7 and not toilet trained should be permitted in a hot tub at all! Fourth, with respect to the pool, no children under 5 should be permitted in the main pool...there is a kiddie pool and they should be limited to that. Fifth, and lastly, all children under 4 and those not toilet trained should be required to wear water tight swimming trunks. THESE INVOLVE BASIC HEALTH AND SAFETY ISSUES. IF YOU CHECK ANY OF THE RECOGNIZED MEDICAL ORGANIZATIONS, THEY ADVISE AGAINST PUTTING YOUNGSTERS INTO HOT TUBS. AND THESE RULES ARE NECESSARY TO CONTROL BACTERIA AND CONTAMINATION.

When we are at a resort and see kids in the hot tub we won't go in. We just don't want to risk the bacteria. We were at one resort once where a child defecated in the main pool and they had to close it down for two days to empty, clean and refill the pool.

THIS CAN EASILY BE ADDRESSED IF THE RESORT WOULD PRINT UP A "POOL RULES" SHEET IN BOLD CAPITAL TYPE AND NOT ONLY GIVE IT TO ALL AT REGISTRATION, BUT MAKE A POINT TO ADDRESS IT WITH THE GUESTS UPON ARRIVAL, AND THEN TO ENFORCE IT.

No, we are not children haters. We love them and are always around many with our families and friends, all of whom agree with us.

I'm hopeful that when we go back in May, they will have adopted this policy!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Zoenol
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 10, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 6 nights and overall enjoyed the resort.

In general the resort was well-manicured, clean, and pretty. The pool area was really huge and had several hot tubs which was quite enjoyable. The beach was also pretty and peaceful, and we enjoyed stealing pockets of sun out there on one particularly rainy day.

Our room was large, clean, and nice. The bed was really comfortable.
I was, however, disappointed that our "pool-view" room was mostly a view of a roof and only a tiny slither of the pool area. We had also requested a high floor and a room away from the elevators, and wound up fairly low and in a room closest to the elevators. The maid service was also inconsistent, and we were never sure what to expect when we returned-- some days our room was very thoroughly tidied with even our shoes lined up against the wall, while other days they only really took the time to make our bed and forgot to replenish the shampoo (for example). That said, it was always clean.

The restaurants at the resort were fairly good, especially considering the food on Kauai in general is pretty sub-par. We had the buffet breakfast at Kukui's a couple times and found it plentiful and tasty(~25/pp). It was slightly varied on both days which we appreciated. We also tried the Friday Prime Rib/King Crab Leg dinner buffet (~50/pp), which was surprisingly good! We also tried Kalapaki Grill which was a decent meal. Duke's was also one of the better restaurants that we tried on the island (make a reservation, it gets crowded). The prices were on the high side, as can be expected at a resort. We normally are all about the local food, but after trying a few places and being incredibly disappointed we defaulted to the Marriott options.

The staff were all super friendly and talkative.

Parking was slightly tricky in the evenings but we were always able to find a spot, even if it wasn't always closest to our side of our resort.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank wunderlast
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Kaua'i Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!