“Exceeded our expectations”

Kaua'i Marriott Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
“Exceeded our expectations”
Reviewed May 10, 2004

We visited this Marriott for 3 days in early 05/04. Overall, we were very satisfied with the resort. We thought that it was very beautiful, contrary to some opinions (and, no we are not the Clampetts). The good: (1) very centrally located, (2) reasonably priced for a full service resort (we paid $200/night---yes the Hyatt is probably nicer, but a comparable rate there was $340), (3) Duke's - We loved this place for a casual, convenient and inexpensive dinner, (4) a swimmable beach. The bad: (1) the beach is so conveniently accessed that there were a lot of people there who weren't staying at the resort--- one explanation may be that it is next to the cruise ship terminal, so there were a lot of people who came to relax on the beach before the ship departed, (2) there seemed to be a couple of local families lounging at the pool (with coolers and grocery bags)...this did not bother us too much because we were down at the beach, but if we had been up by the pool, this would have been annoying. The in-between: (1) the rooms are very..well...standard Marriott (actually our first room was substandard and we asked to be moved; the second room was better, although at ground level). This, while annoying at first, was not that big of a deal in the long run because to us in Kauai the worst place to be is in your room! We viewed the resort as a place to lay our heads after enjoying paradise all day. Not the same in Maui (see my review of the Four Seasons Wailea). Honestly, we went there not expecting much and were pleasantly surprised. If you are, however, looking for a resort that you can relax at, not ever leaving to see the sights, this would not be the best choice. In fact, for that I would go to Maui.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (707)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed May 4, 2004

This was the perfect place to stay. We were honeymooning,but it also seems like a great place to bring the kids-with a huuuge beautiful pool and a perfect beach. As you lie on the soft sand, the views from the beach are absolutely breathtaking-European style houses on the cliffs to the left and stunning green-covered mountain/cliffs in front. It makes you not want to go out and explore the other absolutely gorgeous beaches of the island, of which there are many. Don't really bother with the restuarants in the hotel,but Duke's (which is affiliated to the hotel and located adjacent to it) is well worth the moderate price. Also a must-Coconut's, about a 10 min drive up the coast from the airport. Neither of the two restaurants has service at the usual Hawaiin pace, either.

• Stayed April 2004
Reviewed April 28, 2004

My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon in Hawaii. If you are under 35-40 you really don't want to stay there...even with Marriott points, don't waste them! We used Marriott points to stay at several of the resorts in Hawaii and this was one did not live up to our expectations...at all! I have stayed in a lot of Marriott hotels/resorts and I am not very picky. I had heard great things about the resort from my parents, who had been there several times. The whole place was really just dissappointing! From the moment you get in, the hotel has a tacky pink paint on the outside...we'll skip that for now. As others have said, the hotel has a crazy layout...you go down a 4 story escalator as soon as you get in. The whole place really depends what time of day you see it. If you go early in the morning, the place looks horrible. If you go at night, it has the facade of being nice. My wife and I love pools and this one didn't live up to the reviews. Yes, it is big, but boring. There is nothing Hawaiian about the resort, except maybe the big canoe in the lobby. Other than that, the Roman architecture just doesn't fit in. The locals laugh about it. The beach, if you can call it that, was also pretty sad. It is a little bay with no view of the outside ocean. The stripped off some land and call it a beach next to the water. Horrible views from the beach of the nearby buildings. The rooms are very plain. There is really nothing about this resort that is worth going all the way to Hawaii to. The staff was TERRIBLE. They lost our car, it takes them at least 30 minutes each time to get your luggage back and forth from your room because of the size of the property. I can see how the place could seem nice to some, but if you have seen other resorts on the island it doesn't compare. I'd write more, because I have plenty to say about this place, but seriously...check out the Hyatt. It costs maybe a little more, but it is SOOOO worth it. We left the Marriott and went to the Hyatt. It is on a COMPLETELY different level...10 star vs 3 star.

Kauai
Reviewed April 28, 2004

Sorry that "Be advised" from Milwaukee had rain during their stay. Unfortunately the entire island of Kauai had the rainiest winter in years. You should have seen what it was like on the North Shore. Weeks of rain, wind and enormous waves. The south Poipu beach was not much better this year. It wasn't the fault of the Marriott! I'm a newcomer to the island and believe me, I was surprised by the rain too. The summer season has only just arrived (end of April). You should give it another try now through September.

The grounds of the Marriott encompass golf courses and lagoons which I imagine are the spread out parts you describe. Visitors don't have to use them if they don't want to. I don't think the hotel itself is spread out. I think it is convenient in fact.

Have stayed at this property many times and sat on the beach and was not the least bit disturbed by noise.

I agree with all the glowing recommendations here. It is not a five star elite hotel but it is a wonderful relaxing vacation for families, couples and groups. Wonderful swimming beach for children. The friendliest and most sincere staff on the island!

Aloha!

2 Thank YWait
Reviewed April 23, 2004

My stepsister and I stayed at this hotel 4/12/04 to 4/14/04. We had a fantastic time and enjoyed every minute we spent there. My mother had won as a door prizea two night stay, which she gave to us as a birthday gift for me. We were impressed from the moment we entered the hotel until the day we left, and wished we had been able to stay longer. This was my stepsister's first trip to the Islands, and she was blown away by the views. We both were highly impressed with the comfy bed and pillows, the grounds, the hotel personnel, and the view from our lanai. I lived in the Islands years ago, so I was not surprised by the Aloha Spirit the hotel personnel showed these guests. What a difference in the hotel versus the Royal Hawaiian (see our comments for that hotel). My stepsister's comment was, "I won't go back to Oahu ever again, BUT I'll go back to Kauai for sure!" We stayed on Kauai for 6 days, and the remainder of them were spent at my mother's home. Had we been able to stay longer at this hotel, we surely would have done so. We are hoping that we can get information on where we can purchase the bed and pillows as this was the first time in many years since my neck surgery that I woke up pain free! If you have a chance, stay here and you'll not regret it! Also the food in the restaurants are reasonable, too.

• Stayed April 2004
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 1, 2004

My family and I recently stayed at the Marriott in Lihue. The property is massive and spread out funky. Be advised that the location of this Hotel is subjected to alot of rain ( we stayed 03/20-03/24 and it rained steady 3 of the 5 days!) Locals recommended properties 10 miles+ south of Lihue. Another turn-off is it's close proximity to the airport (2 miles away, you can get a fair amount of jet noise) On the rainy days we drove South and always got sunshine. Foget Gaylords for dinner!
Overpriced and the service was substandard.

Reviewed March 27, 2004

We recently stayed at the Marriott Kuaui for 5 nights and it was just wonderful. The room and the view were beautiful, the food was great, (Dukes and the Cafe Portofino!!), the service was excellent, and the staff top notch!

Don't miss this one!

• Stayed March 2004
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Kaua'i Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!