WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Location, location, location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

When you are on an island with only a few roads, it helps to get your barrings immediately. This was recommended to me by friends & they were absolutely right. Although near to the airport, we never heard planes. You can go east or west or north & find places to stop, eat, swim, with reasonable time. Rooms were pretty standard. Amazing pool and beach. We had a breakfast plan included, with the usual choices and the addition of some unique items.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank CSuhre

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed in our time share . We had a one bedroom two bath (don't take the pull down room with one bath). It was large, good ocean view, but the rooms all need to be updated. The drains run slow, a panel on the cupboard fell off and just missed my toe. Our first morning we wanted bacon and eggs for breakfast which were fine but the cost came to over $40. So we had coffee and pastries served at the pool for the rest of our visit. We tried to rent a car for the Fourth of July but the cost was $200. We went back the day of the fourth and the cost dropped to $89. Their seafood buffet was $48 per person. So we usually ate at Duke's, right on the grounds where the food was good and reasonably priced. The spa prices are too high for me to indulge.
The beach is nice but the water cold and not good for snorkeling. Other beaches up north are much better with warmer water and some shade trees.
Overall we had a nice restful trip, but we will try a smaller more friendly place that has more value than this one.

Room Tip: Higher the betterl
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank lystl
Salinas, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Just returned from 8 nights at the Marriott Kauai Resort. Given some of the negative reviews, I hoped we had made the right decision. I couldn't have been more pleased with this hotel...it was fabulous! The photos of the grounds don't do it justice. True, the pool is beautiful, but what they don't show are the meticulously maintained gardens, koi pond, etc.

I didn't book any specific requests for the room (e.g. pool view, ocean view) and we were given a very lovely room. Although it was on one of the lower floors, we could see both the pool and the ocean.

We had no problems with check-in and the service was fantastic. The ladies at the breakfast bar were especially warm and welcoming. Anytime we had questions or needed assistance (e.g. booking a luau), the staff gave us the time and attention we needed and always with a smile. When the activity we wanted to do was full, they got us on a waiting list and continued to follow up with the vendor leaving us to enjoy our vacation.

We also enjoyed the many activities that they made available to guests...from the hula lessons to the standup paddle boarding and surfing lessons. Although some of these cost extra as they were through outside vendors, they were very convenient.

Our room was clean and comfortable and the décor was pleasing.

The self-parking lot was a bit of a walk, but I find that that is usually the case. And, being an active family, this posed no problems for us.

My only wish for this hotel would be to provide free Wi-Fi and lower the cost of the daily resort fee ($25). I find it interesting that some of the cheap roadside motels I've stayed in provide free in-room Wi-Fi, but the more expensive hotels charge extra.

Overall, this hotel exceeded our expectations. We enjoyed the facilities tremendously and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank cgl5642
Liz C, Front Office Manager at Kaua'i Marriott Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Aloha! We are pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your kind words as it is our goal to provide outstanding customer service to our guests. We look forward to your next visit with us again in the near future.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

The property layout is beautiful, opulent, spacious and open. It looks impressive but it's hard to navigate and the signs aren't helpful. However, the service was just mediocre and the staff weren't friendly. From check-in to check-out, there were small issues. First of all, there weren't enough staff for check-in/check-out. The lines were long. The front desk check in person did not acknowledge our anniversary, which was noted on our reservation, like other hotels on our multi-island anniversary trip. She did not explain what all the cards were for in our packet (more on this later). One nice thing is that they have Tide in your room so that you can wash out your swim suits.

In our tower, there was only one elevator (out of 3) working, so we walked most of the time. It was out for at least the three days we stayed there, with no sign of repair staff working on it.

When we encountered staff in the halls, at the pool, etc., they barely spoke. I guess I'm used to more welcoming staff.

The self-parking lot is rather far from the hotel and it's not covered so your car is blazing hot when you get in it in the morning! Valet costs $3 extra per day but your car is parked in the same lot as self-parking so that doesn't eliminate the issue.

Upon check-in, we received a card saying, "pick up your welcome gift" or something to that affect. We also received a phone message in our room encouraging us to come pick it up. Well, I went three separate times and no one was at the desk. Once, there was at least a placque saying "Will return at 1:30". Well, it was 2:00 and no one was there! I left a note and my room number but no one ever bothered to call or even drop off the packet. Finally, on the day we were leaving, I caught the person at the desk. It was really too late to use any of the coupons or discounts. I explained what happened and the person offered not explanation or apology. Par for the course as far as staff.

I went to the pool house to pick up towels and was asked for my pool card. Well, I didn't have one and asked if she could look up my information online. She snarked and said she would but, "next time, bring your card!" She wasn't friendly either and the front desk person on check-in didn't explain that I needed a card.

Lastly, check-out is at 10:00 and you can pay $85 extra to stay later. No thanks!

Room Tip: Get a room on the 5th floor in the tower closest to the front entrance. Since the elevator isn'...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mybiggestfan
Thousand Oaks, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel looks impressive on first view. And in many ways it is- beautiful ocean front location, huge pool, expansive grounds, but, there were lots of glitches. First, as others have said, check-in was not as simple as it usually is. We have been Marriott members for 12 years and Gold members so one of the perks is that, upon check-in you may request an upgrade for your room. Usually a simple process, they just upgrade you! But this staff person says, "Oh, we have a gorgeous, beautiful room for you and it will only cost you an extra $250 per night! It's usually an extra $400 but, you can have it for this price!" I said I couldn't afford that and didn't want it. So, she says she'd look again and then proceeds to offer me another room that will only be another $195 more per night. At that point, I said, "We've been Marriott members for a very long time and usually when I ask for an upgrade they simply give me an upgrade and there are no additional costs." She looks at me disappointed and says she'll look again and then, upgrades me. Why was that so difficult?! Also, one should know there is a mandatory resort fee that is tacked onto your room cost of $25. The perks are free internet, free parking, two mai tais for your entire stay and some discounts for renting or buying items at the pool. Well, we already get free internet as Gold members, we didn't have a car for the first 4 days and two mai tais for your entire stay are hardly worth it, in my opinion!

Every day we got back to our room, the housekeeping was minimal. The breakfast they offer here could break the bank! My 16 yr old son could eat us out of house and home so, after a few days I said we'd go elsewhere and find a reasonably priced place for him to have all the breakfast he wanted. The breakfast buffet is impressive but, also costs $24.95 per person! I'm not a breakfast person so, wasn't about to venture into that cost. We have been to a lot of Marriotts and often breakfast is "complimentary" meaning it is included in the cost of the room.

One upside is, the airport shuttle. It is free and all one needs to do is call as soon as you arrive and have gathered your bags and they're there for you in minutes. Although the hotel is very close to the airport, you don't feel it while you're staying here.

Anyway, it's a pretty place but, be aware of these things that can really throw you!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lisa C
central cove
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

I seldom stay in Hotels when I travel for pleasure but circumstances found me spending the last moments of my Kauai vacation here at the Marriott. I used award points for this stay, and I was pleased when I was able to check in a little early and found that they had upgraded me to a king corner suite. This was a very nice suite, the amenities were great, and internet connection was acceptable. The bedding and linens were exceptional. The bell, valet and front desk staff are polite, efficient and very accommodating. This is a great property with great people.

Room Tip: smile, tip and leave attitude at home.
3 Thank spudcatCentralCove
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

We had a beautiful honeymoon at the Marriott Resort Lihue. Only downfall, the pool was not heated so I really didn't get to enjoy swimming much and the rooms lacked character; our suite looked the same as all the other Marriott properties. (My husband stays at a Marriott property 4/5 days per week so we see a lot of hotel rooms.) The gym was amazing!!! We loved the location of the resort close to everything but I would prefer to stay in Poipu next time since the weather was better and it seemed more tropical and full of beautiful beaches. Complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport was helpful.

Service was exceptional, thank you, Levi and the complimentary champagne upon arrival was such a treat.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean front room in the hotel portion of the resort. There are time share rooms which I w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BennettTravels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,131 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Kaua'i Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!