“Nothing on the walking distance except a few restaurants but nice hotel with gorgeous beach and lovely pool.”

Kaua'i Marriott Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The hotel is kids friendly but nothing activities for the kids so mostly family with teenagers or couples were there. Restaurants in the property were good but especially we liked Duke's and went there for a couple of times. Service in the hotel was great but as all the resorts they too tried to sell you timeshare. Other negative thing I found was that there was usually only one person at the reception and we had to wait for quite a bit to even ask a simple question or we had to call 3 times to room service for extra towels. Otherwise the hotel staff was friendly, very clean and beautiful property. Convenience store just 20 steps away from the reception area was super helpful. The most I missed in this property was a cafe or even close proximity to any cafe for morning cappuccino :)

Would recommend in a heart beat for couples or family with teenagers who love to be on the beach or like to swim; will NOT recommend at all for kids aged 0-12 as they would get bored out of their minds as this is not the resort like Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club in Honolulu which organizes balloon classes or movie show time for kids or bubble thing, etc. Here they don't organize these kinds of kids events.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Mr_AK_82

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I'm loving my stay here so far. Room overlooks the ocean, huge pool and multiple hot tubs, and walking distance to some local shops and restaurants. I can't really think of anything not to like here other than it is not an inexpensive place to stay! Friendly concierges will help you set up whatever activity you'd like to do during your stay. It would be nice if there were more on site breakfast and lunch options, but the lunch hut at the pool does have tasty food and you can get pastries and coffee downstairs if you don't want to venture out for breakfast. We just got some toast and fruit to keep in our kitchenette area for breakfasts in our rooms. Nice to have that option!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is one of most gorgeous properties I have ever stayed on. I am not the kind of person who goes to a resort hotel and only stays there all day without exploring the surrounding areas, but I can finally understand why someone would at this place. The hotel has a beautiful lagoon beach all to itself, and granted the waves are not very good for surfing nor is the water clear enough for snorkeling, you can do some great standup paddle boarding. When you decide to leave the beach, you can walk right over to the beautiful pool, which is equipped with a center island, cascading and waterfall fountains, and five hot tubs. Our room was very clean with nice furnishings, and the bed was extremely comfortable. We had a "partial" ocean view, which I'm not entirely sure is accurate because I could see the entire stretch of beach and the bay.

The only complaints I have were the typical high prices of everything there (do yourself a favor and walk across the street or to the ABC store to buy any little things you might need, or take the shuttle to Kmart and save a ton). Also, the hotel sushi restaurant there was TERRIBLE, and that's saying something considering I live in a desert and can find way better sushi restaurants. Luckily we found good sushi spots elsewhere on the island.

Room Tip: Save yourself money and get a "partial" ocean view, because it is no less spectacular than...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The hotel rooms are nice. We had a king size bed, and there is a sofa which I'm assuming is a pull out bed as well but we didn't use it, and there was a desk area which was large and useful. The bathroom is nice, fancier than the regular hotel bathrooms for sure which is great. There is a quick cafe and a nice breakfast/dinner place there which we used multiple times. The food was yummy, not extraordinary, but they had an egg white frittata option at the breakfast place which was really nice for me. The ground are very well maintained, and you are right on a beach, which the beach is well maintained as well (Kalapaki beach). There are plenty of food places around the area that are within walking distance, the cleaning service comes by regularly to maintain your room, everything is beautiful here. I'm assuming all the rooms have balconies which is nice as well. We stayed in a room with a partial ocean view which pretty much meant pool view, but it was still wonderful. Overall, a fantastic place to stay and a wonderful experience!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here a few nights (amongst other islands). Our first assigned room was old and smelly (mold) although, when we asked to have our room changed they gladly did so. The resort facilities are clean and expansive enough, but not overwhelming. Guest service was efficient when I asked for them to transition the room to "feather free." The hotel was conveniently located close to the airport with some restaurants and activities within walking distance but if you really want to get a feel for the island you need to rent a car and be willing to drive and hour or so.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have been privileged to be at some pretty spectacular resorts, and this property is one of the most fantastic I have ever seen. The hotel is overlooking a beautiful beach lagoon with the requisite palm trees--but then so are lots of other resorts. The pool is magnificent--a large flower shape with verandas sticking out over the shore side from the second floor of the hotel. There are huge animal statues which spew water during the day. If this were not enough, the other side of the hotel has a large garden surrounded by walkways that are bordered by the shops--a rather tasteful way of incorporating shopping into a hotel. The garden has large koi pools (with daily feedings at 9 a.m.) and mulfiple statues of Oriental design. My son was married in those gardens and I can not imagine a better spot for an away wedding. The dinner after the wedding was held in one of the covered porticoes that also edge the garden area. All in all, I can not imagine a more beautiful, better cared for exterior.

The wedding I spoke of was 12 years ago, and I just returned alone for a reprise visit hoping that everything would match my memories. The exterior did--still magnificent, still well tended. Unfortuantely, the interior needs some work. The sink in my bathroom had spidery breaks and the walls needed refreshing. The worse, however, was the bed which was lumpy to the point of mild discomfort. I suspect that this hotel is on the list for refurbishment and that these problems will soon be resolved. It would be a pity if they were not since this is one of Marriott's most lovely properties.

I note that one of the reviewers felt that the food was overpriced. Actually, I do not. My favorite breakfast was the French toast ($13) which comes with strawberries and bananas. This is not out of line with the price at other resorts. Entrees at Kukui were $20 to $30 and were certainly adequate in quantity. Sandwiches and other lighter snacks were available at lower prices. This is pretty much normal for most resorts, and if anything, low by Hawaiian standards. The best bargain was the aloha hour (happy hour) at Duke's where beers were $4, beach drinks $6 and there was an assortment of foods at happy hour prices as well. My favorite of those was the pork flatbread at $6 which made a really nice meal. $6 for food and $6 for a nice drink complete with umbrella by the beach in a setting that is out of a movie with a live ukelele player would be a bargain in anybody's book anywhere.

I can not end this review without mentioning the staff. Marriott is well-known for the quality of the staff, but this staff generally passes into a superlative category where the usual 5 (1-5) rating is not enough. The desk clerks, the waitresses, the maids, even the gardener who thought (incorrectly) that I was lost as I was taking a long walk around the grounds were thoughtful, cheerful, helpful--whatever nice things you can find to say. (I did have one unfortunate experience at the swimming pool lunch/bar but it was such an anomaly........)

I love this hotel so much that I would recommend it even without the refurbishment that I am sure is in the offing, but afterwards, I know it will be a truly heavenly experience.

Room Tip: High up overlooking the pool and lagoon of course.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Texastravveler
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel twice, and both times we have had a wonderful vacation. The rooms are spacious, the staff are happy and helpful, and the grounds and pool are just gorgeous. The golf course is an added pleasure, such a pretty course with some holes on the Oceanside. We just loved the restaurants here, can't go wrong, we just keep trying a different one each night. Last but not least, the wild chickens that roam around are such fun to watch. All in all, something for everyone.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are great, but really the ground floor rooms where the chickens come to visit are g...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Kaua'i Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!