“Not a good value”

Kaua'i Marriott Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel staff was great, they were always willing to help and answer any questions. The property is nice, but not as nice as other resorts we have visited. The Rooms definitely need updated. If every room had a bed with a mattress like ours, then there are a lot of people walking around with back pain. The mattress we had in our room must be 10 years old. C'mon Marriott, spend a couple of bucks and provide some comfortable beds.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,825)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was our 3rd visit to Kauai and was pleasantly surprised by a few things not typical to the other resorts we stayed at on Kauai. First the close proximity to the airport and settling in was fast and efficient, our valet attendants were friendly and very welcomming. Secondly the spectacular swimming pool in such close proximity to our room. This pool is worth the trip in itself. 4 waterfalls, elegant fountains and 4 very large hot tubs conveniently spaced around the pool. They even had a kiddy pool with water slide. I was able to swim in circles around the island and rarely ever had people in my way. OK the pool was great. I also enjoyed the long sandy beach and calm surf. If you could ignore the industrial area on the other side of the bay the mountains made up for it. However, there were some negatives that made this just an OK resort. First of all the 2 poolside tiki bars were never open when we needed them. On one occasion we showed up before the posted closing time and they wouldn't serve us because they were already packing it in. Then on another occassion when I knew they would be open I couldn't get anyone to serve me and when someone finally asked if I would like a drink I was biting my tongue to not say how I really felt. I ordered 2 drinks. One for me and one for my wife who was waiting close by. As I was leaving the bar tender said I was not allowed to take the 2nd drink away from the bar area to my wife as Hawaii state law forbids it.. My wife was upset when I didn't show up with her drink. I ended up spending $15.00 for 2 drinks I drank quickley by myself while my wife sat by the pool wondering what the heck was taking me so long. Kind of hard to explain that one. If the lady had been friendly this would have been a better experience. Therefore no money was spent again on drinks or food there at the Marriott. I am trying not to complain, but, this is also a great resort if you are under 5' tall as the sinks in the bathroom were at knee level. I am 6'5" and I hit my head a few times trying to wash my face...$%$%#(OUCH)!!!!. The wall beds were not much better, very uncomfortable, and the 2 tiny pillows they provided were useless. Not much was spent on upgrades there. Overall we enjoyed our time here as we were away exploring other places anyway. We will stay here again as a good starting point to our final vacation destination. Again I do love the long sandy beach, mountain veiws, and did I mention that incredible pool. This is great place for kids(families) but not the 2nd honeymoon. Definitly not a 5 Star resort.

Room Tip: Get a room above 4th floor and Ocean Veiw to avoid looking at the maintanence utility building or po...
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was beautiful and the staff were great. It was a bit pricy. Food and drinks were overpriced, especially breakfast. This resort sits on a bay, not the ocean. At this time of year it was not overcrowded and we could always find a lounge chair. If you are looking for a beautiful location and out if the way, this is your place.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed May 7, 2013

At first I thought this place was going to be too big and I really wanted to stay on the North side but it turned out to be the perfect place to stay. A first our pool view really didn't have a pool view so we asked for a new room and it was perfect the pool view was gorgeous. The location is great to be able to visit all sides of the island and the beach is perfect for surf lessons. Great place for family since there are more affordable restaurants around. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Pool view is great but might be nice to get a kitchenette to save on restaurant expense and cook you...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We returned two weeks ago from another wonderful vacation at this beautiful hotel. It was probably our sixth stay over the past ten years. We have a favorite area we like to stay in and the front desk was very accommodating at check-in to find us our room. We don't rent a car, have room service a couple of nights while there, ate at the Sushi Bar a couple of nights, Sunday brunch buffet fabulous as ever. The pool and jacuzzi's are the best. We're thinking about going back in October. Love it there.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Overall, this resort is a weird mix of things. Why weird? Well, at first you see a beautiful resort with a tree lined entrance off Rice Street, tons of parking for guests as well as valet, a large koi pond that is a little smelly and a huge pool with a view that opens up to the gorgeous bay. But as you unpeel the onion, you see within the serene mountains that you are set in an industrialish area of Lihue with beautiful views of cargo and the trash/recycling facility. There are beautiful plans for the Marriott property within the resort that included a proposed Ritz amongst the Lagoon golf course, but when we walk it and drive through it you find construction that looks like it was stopped years ago, abandoned retail shops, once nice tennis courts that have now deteriorated. You can tell these grounds in parts were once spectacular. The golf course was rarely being used and it seemed more people used it for walking even though pedestrians are prohibited on the cart path.

As expected the prices are high on the resort. My first taste of this was $15 for two beers at the poolside bar and grill. Then because we are deprived of good sushi where we live, we tried the sushi at Toro Tei within the Kukui's restaurant and although sushi is normally expensive, we felt $11 - $15 for a 4 piece roll of really bad sushi was high. Breakfast was about $18 on the resort. My tip is to walk over to the nearby Harbor Mall area and try the food options there. You'll find great breakfast options for under $10 at the Kalapaki Beach Hut (it's like a shack, but good food) and the Feral Pig does a nice Bloody Mary. Happy Hour at Kalapaki Joe's is everyday from 3 - 6 and a good bargain. Marriott has two nice restaurants on the property that I have eaten at before: Dukes (a personal Waikiki favorite place) and Cafe Portofino. I wasn't impressed by either here as the setting seemed better than the food and service. At Dukes, we had a better experience in the lower bar area eating than when we ate upstairs in the dining area.

The rooms are nice and we had a great view of the pool and bay. The staff from the valet to the front desk to the pool attendents to the maids were all super nice. There is a great running/walking path.

As noted by others, Platinum Elites or Elites in general should not expect anything! As others have noted, the front desk flat at lied when we asked for an upgrade telling us the resort was at capacity and nothing was available when clearly the resorts was dead this time of year. Also, although the resort fee was waived they still charged $16 a day for parking which was plentiful. So in essence all you got was $9 off for Internet.

This area has limited appeal. It seems the north or east sides or Poipu in the south are more beautiful. Here you are in a bay versus long beautiful stretches of beach you find along Kapaa and Coconut area. There is shopping up the hill including Costco to stock up on water and beverages and a Longs Drugstore and Macy's.

1  Thank Phoenixroby
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had to stay one night in Kauai as our rental house was being prepared and spent the night here. It's a handsome resort and apart from a few minor things, was a-ok in my book.
PROS
- Great beach
- Huge (no, really) pool
- The brunch was pretty tasty
- Very quick trip from the airport
- Great expanse of glass with a sliding and screen door onto the porch in your room

CONS (minor)
- We (our entire airport shuttle) must have looked standoff-ish as no one offered to take our bags when we arrived
- The previous point was funny because when you get to the lobby, you have to go down stairs (there is a ramp, but it's a bit hidden)
- I'm sure there is a cute and adorable reason for this, but the bathroom was built for really short people. I'm not tall - I'm average American height, but you'll spend most of the time at the bathroom sink hunched down.
- The rooms could stand a tad more sound-proofing

All in all, it's a fine place to stay. We aren't resort staying types, but if you are you'll probably enjoy this resort. Everyone seemed very happy.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Kaua'i Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!